Preview Round 3, 2024: Hawthorn v Geelong, 1st April 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind Ramsden just worry about Chol, Lewis and him

We might be way to slow in our forward 50 but at least we swapping the magnets around after 2 horrible weeks

Would be interesting if he comes in for Gunston. My guess is that would mean Chol spending quite a bit of game time in the ruck. And he did look very comfortable in the ruck last week.

Underrate them at your own peril.

Holmes and Blicvas in particular are nightmare match ups from an athletic perspective.
Bruhn and Atkins are no mugs.
They'll also throw Mannagh in there who is a mature ager with a point to prove.
Holmes is an athletic powerhouse. Could be a sprinter if he trained for it. Arguably the quickest player in the comp. Makes alot of quick players seem slow. He's also quite a talented footballer. Not sure why we're underrating their midfield. There getting it done ATM with these same guys some are saying are average. We will still be in a battle in there regardless of what some posters think.

It was a stupid decision by Sam.

Finn as sub was a bad call that made little sense and will hopefully not be repeated

Finn as sub was obviously the wrong decision. Everyone knew Zerrett was going to cut us up, and with Parish out he was going to be their main midfielder and heavily relied upon. The rest of Essendon's midfield was fairly inexperienced.

Shutting Zerrett out from the start would have meant that there would have been pressure on Cadlwell, Setterfield, Perkins and Durham to step up.

But Sam, in all his wisdom, thought he'd play the best tagger in the comp as the sub. Whilst Maginess is versatile in terms of the range of players he can shut down, he can only really play the tagging role at AFL level.

Lo and behold Zerrett was impactful all game. He had 24 touches and 6 clearances to 3QT. He had 7 touches in the last quarter when the game was really lost.

It was a baffling decision at the time and proved to be more baffling as the game played out the way it did.

I doubt we will see Mitchell do that again.

I don't mind Ramsden just worry about Chol, Lewis and him

We might be way to slow in our forward 50 but at least we swapping the magnets around after 2 horrible weeks
Gunners is going about the same speed ATM. Were not losing pace and we keep a tall structure all game as either Chol or Ramma will relieve Meek meaning we will still have 2 bigs to kick to. We clearly think Frosty can handle Hawkins which leaves Scimmers or Weddle to take Cameron. Cameron isn't your traditional tall he's a super agile, mobile tall in the Buddy mould. Weddle can match him athletically and hurt him the other way as I rekon that's his weakness, defensive intent.

Meek deserves to be rewarded for his dominant Box Hill performance last week. Hopefully he can start using his large frame to his advantage and take his senior chances when they come.

As for Reeves, I've been quite concerned with how limited he is atm. He offers very little around the ground, and his fitness is below par for AFL level. I was concerned to see old man Goldstein sprinting away from him on many occasions in Round 1. Reeves needs to provide more than occasional taps to advantage otherwise he's not the answer long-term.

Post the intra club at the press conference, David Hale was asked about the likelihood of playing two rucks. He said that if we were to go that route, one would have to have some forward nous to make it work. Ramsden has the forward craft, while Meek showed he could kick a goal last weekend.

Holmes is an athletic powerhouse. Could be a sprinter if he trained for it. Arguably the quickest player in the comp. Makes alot of quick players seem slow. He's also quite a talented footballer. Not sure why we're underrating their midfield. There getting it done ATM with these same guys some are saying are average. We will still be in a battle in there regardless of what some posters think.
With Day injured, Newk and Reeves badly out of form we are rolling out the weakest midfield in the comp.
The Coolaiders can shout me down all they want.

With Day injured, Newk and Reeves badly out of form we are rolling out the weakest midfield in the comp.
The Coolaiders can shout me down all they want.

Football teams midfield bad when #1 mid out injured and #2 mid horribly out of form.

Thanks Joel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pleased to see Hustwaite get a chance, hopefully he impresses. It will be interesting to see where he plays when he's not running through the midfield.

Can't see Morrison being the sub, I don't think he's the kind of player that would have an immediate impact. I'm guessing it will be Breust or Watson? Hopefully Morrison plays on one wing and offers some composure.

It was the right call to drop Reeves after what was obviously two poor games.

Will Simon Crawshay get an apology for daring to suggest that something like this could happen?
I'm not holding my breath 😂

The ball is definitely in Meek's court now, he has a great opportunity to put in a big performance against probably one of the few teams with a weaker ruck division than ours.

Gunners is going about the same speed ATM. Were not losing pace and we keep a tall structure all game as either Chol or Ramma will relieve Meek meaning we will still have 2 bigs to kick to. We clearly think Frosty can handle Hawkins which leaves Scimmers or Weddle to take Cameron. Cameron isn't your traditional tall he's a super agile, mobile tall in the Buddy mould. Weddle can match him athletically and hurt him the other way as I rekon that's his weakness, defensive intent.
As everyone knows I am a huge fan of Scrimmers but I have to admit that he doesn’t have the wheels to keep up with Cameron (not many KPDs do). Jack is much better suited against a forward who is a contested marker rather than someone who covers ground like Cameron does.

I would like to see Weddle have a crack as how good would it be to see Josh burn Cameron off half back and bang through a goal from 50m?

Looks like out Reeves Gunston Finn
In Meek Hustwaite Morrison/Ramsden

Feel like Phillips has to be close- not sure what the plan is for Cameron/Hawkins don’t like Sicily as a key defender - hope it doesn’t cost us…

Seems like the side may be:

Hardwick - Frost - Impey
Scrimshaw - Sicily - Weddle

Meek - Newcombe - Worpel
Amon - Mackenzie - D'Ambrosio

Moore - Chol - MacDonald
Watson - Lewis - Ginnivan

Bench:
Ward - Nash - Hustwaite - Ramsden

Sub:
Breust

Emergency:
Morrison
Not a bad call. I did ponder Breust as sub too.

Seems like the side may be:

Hardwick - Frost - Impey
Scrimshaw - Sicily - Weddle

Meek - Newcombe - Worpel
Amon - Mackenzie - D'Ambrosio

Moore - Chol - MacDonald
Watson - Lewis - Ginnivan

Bench:
Ward - Nash - Hustwaite - Ramsden

Sub:
Breust

Emergency:
Morrison

I like it.

More run and speed across the board.

Just can't carry a forward line of Breust and Gunston at the moment. It's one or the other.

Looks like out Reeves Gunston Finn
In Meek Hustwaite Morrison/Ramsden

Feel like Phillips has to be close- not sure what the plan is for Cameron/Hawkins don’t like Sicily as a key defender - hope it doesn’t cost us…
This is also my concern. Perhaps backing in the midfield to limit supply. But if that fails, could be another dirty day for our backs.

I reckon Ward or Frenchie would be better sub than Breust. He would not us much flexibility. That being said, I think need to pump as many games into the young guys as possible. Really hope that Ramsden is not the sub or carry over emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back