Preview Round 3, 2024: Hawthorn v Geelong, 1st April 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think you'd still back Frosty or Sic in over the Phillips.

You really need an AFL seasoned body to compete with the the frontline big forwards, particularly since Porky has reached the veteran end of his career.

Yeh there was never any way we’d play Phillips on Hawkins today. If anyone wants a fast way to destroy a bloke’s confidence on debut, that’s it.

Not allowing fast and easy ball movement is the only way to stop their forwards, Hawkins stretching out on a lead in to space is almost impossible to spoil. Bombed on his head under pressure? I’m backing our defenders to get that to ground.

Phillips can come in for the suns game.

My prediction...

In: Hustwaite, Meek, Ramsden
Out: Maginness, Reeves, Gunston

FB: Hardwick, Frost, Scrimshaw
HB: Weddle, Sicily, Impey
C: Amon, Worpel, Ward
HF: Moore, Chol, Macdonald
FF: Breust, Lewis, Ginnivan
Foll: Meek, Newcombe, Hustwaite
Int: Watson, Mackenzie, Nash, Ramsden, D'Ambrosio

I know Reeves has had a poor start to the year but I would’ve waited a week to bring in Meek who was good in the VFL last week but he only really had Fullerton (a young, undersized part time ruck) to beat against Casey.

I would’ve been worried if Meek didn’t get the better of Fullerton- make him show he can beat an actual decent VFL ruck before promoting him…

I know Reeves has had a poor start to the year but I would’ve waited a week to bring in Meek who was good in the VFL last week but he only really had Fullerton (a young, undersized part time ruck) to beat against Casey.

I would’ve been worried if Meek didn’t get the better of Fullerton- make him show he can beat an actual decent VFL ruck before promoting him…
He'll get the better of 2nd gamer Conway. If he doesn't, well...

Needed to change something in centre. Rounds 1 and 2 were abominable. Sorry.
How about changing our setup so the mids actually defend when the opposition gets the ball- rather than get sucked into the play and letting them walk it out of the middle for an easy goal…

Last edited:
Rain now predicted during the second half of the match. Cant help but think that would help us against Cameron and Hawkins and our smalls would benefit?

My prediction...

In: Hustwaite, Meek, Ramsden
Out: Maginness, Reeves, Gunston

FB: Hardwick, Frost, Scrimshaw
HB: Weddle, Sicily, Impey
C: Amon, Worpel, Ward
HF: Moore, Chol, Macdonald
FF: Breust, Lewis, Ginnivan
Foll: Meek, Newcombe, Hustwaite
Int: Watson, Mackenzie, Nash, Ramsden, D'Ambrosio
I wonder how far away Seamus is and yes I do suffer from Seamus love

Agreed. I know he’s only just joined the club but I would have liked to see him come in to free up Sic. Easy did mention it would be a dream to play Easter Monday on Tom Hawkins. I would have granted that wish but that is my opinion. Sam and Co obviously believe he needs another week or two in the VFL.

Got a feeling Sic may go to Cameron now. Has played on him in the past and beaten him however, it will limit his best weapon (roaming and intercepting etc).
Its amazing really- you’ve got a key defender who has really looked the goods in the VFL- desperate to play on the big stage.. we’re crying out for a key defender and you don’t bring him in?? Scared coaching IMO from Mitchell so far this season…

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its amazing really- you’ve got a key defender who has really looked the goods in the VFL- desperate to play on the big stage.. we’re crying out for a key defender and you don’t bring him in?? Scared coaching IMO from Mitchell…
Don't think Phillips was particularly amazing last week. Most of his marks were chip kicks across the backline.

Sicily has beaten Hawkins and Cameron before. Will be up to the mids and their clearances/defensive running.

Don't think Phillips was particularly amazing last week. Most of his marks were chip kicks across the backline.

Sicily has beaten Hawkins and Cameron before. Will be up to the mids and their clearances/defensive running.

Cameron has 22 touches, 9 marks and 7 goals last season. He absolutely obliterated everyone. We don't have a good matchup for him.

Also, Hawkins had 15 touches, 10 marks and 2 goals.

It would be rough to throw Phillips into the deep end on Hawkins - but having him take Hawkins would mean Sicily could play a freer role, and help cover Hawkins and Cameron as a third tall.

Cameron has 22 touches, 9 marks and 7 goals last season. He absolutely obliterated everyone. We don't have a good matchup for him.

It would be rough to throw Phillips into the deep end on Hawkins - but having him take Hawkins would mean Sicily could play a freer role, and help cover Hawkins and Cameron as a third tall.
Better throw in the towel then I guess because a debutant isn't playing.

We beat them before when they each kicked three. But their opponent was BOG with 7 intercept possessions and 15 marks.

Limit the midfield of the cats and their forwards are useless. That's not just for Geelong. That's for all 18 clubs

Only other choice is Frost on Porkins. Sadly we don’t have any other big bodies. Was really hoping Blanck would be that next big bodied defender against such forwards.
Frost has actually done ok on him in the past. Doesn't get much on the lead against him because of Frost's pace. More body on body.
Think you'd still back Frosty or Sic in over the Phillips.

You really need an AFL seasoned body to compete with the the frontline big forwards, particularly since Porky has reached the veteran end of his career.
Not Sicily. Would get mauled being isolated.

Frost has actually done ok on him in the past. Doesn't get much on the lead against him because of Frost's pace. More body on body.

Not Sicily. Would get mauled being isolated.
Sic is 2nd Banana though.

He's taken Lynch before and done OK on one outing. Hawkins a bigger, stronger player But it's Frost and Sic – aside from Phillips the cupboard is bare.

Ah * that was a s**t game. I’m on holiday on the northern beaches of Sydney. Saw a hawk flying south towards Huskisson where I will be watching the game.

Hawks - please make this a dumb holiday omen and beat these campaigners and yes it’s unlikely but maybe the first two shitty rounds will be the recession we had to have

Limit the midfield of the cats and their forwards are useless. That's not just for Geelong. That's for all 18 clubs

Yeah that will certainly help. Can't afford a repeat of the Essendon game where they take every chance they get, especially immediately after we worked so hard for a goal.

Better throw in the towel then I guess because a debutant isn't playing.

We beat them before when they each kicked three. But their opponent was BOG with 7 intercept possessions and 15 marks.

Throw in the towel? What are you on about?

I'm just expressing what we could have done had Phillips been picked and pointing out that in our last game Cameron tore us up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back