Preview Round 3, 2024: Hawthorn v Geelong, 1st April 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finn as sub was obviously the wrong decision. Everyone knew Zerrett was going to cut us up, and with Parish out he was going to be their main midfielder and heavily relied upon. The rest of Essendon's midfield was fairly inexperienced.

Shutting Zerrett out from the start would have meant that there would have been pressure on Cadlwell, Setterfield, Perkins and Durham to step up.

But Sam, in all his wisdom, thought he'd play the best tagger in the comp as the sub. Whilst Maginess is versatile in terms of the range of players he can shut down, he can only really play the tagging role at AFL level.

Lo and behold Zerrett was impactful all game. He had 24 touches and 6 clearances to 3QT. He had 7 touches in the last quarter when the game was really lost.

It was a baffling decision at the time and proved to be more baffling as the game played out the way it did.

I doubt we will see Mitchell do that again.
This and This

I hope meek is in and stays in. He is a better all round player than Reeves. We can talk about his hit out to advantage stats last season but he has been a deadset liability so far .
Meek is an enigma. He does a lot of great things, and then misses simple marks. He was obliterated by Jordan Sweet last year in the VFL… with Jordan now only being a backup option this year for Port in the AFL. And yet Meek was near the Hawks best player in 2 games last year.

One never knows which Meek will turn up. He did great last week in the VFL… yet still dropped easy marks.

I am not sold on either Reeves or Meek. Maybe this year, one or the other will show themselves to be our next premiership ruckman… time will tell.

Last edited:
This is also my concern. Perhaps backing in the midfield to limit supply. But if that fails, could be another dirty day for our backs.
Feel like it’s massive - we know Sicily shouldn’t be forced to play as a key defender- it takes away so much of his game- he’s best when he’s intercepting - so why not give Phillips a chance to free him up?

Meek is an enigma. He does a lot of great things, and then misses simple marks. He was obliterated by Jordan Sweet last year in the VFL… with Jordan now only being a backup up option this year for Port in the AFL. And yet Meek was near the Hawks best player in 2 games last year.

One never knows which Meek will turn up. He did great last week in the VFL… yet still dropped easy marks.

I am not sold on either Reeves or Meek. Maybe this year, one or the other will show themselves to be our next premiership ruckman… time will tell.
Which games? I must have missed them.

Which games? I must have missed them.
Yep you must have missed it … or you may have erased it from your memory. It was not a good day.

Round 21 in the VFL last year. 52 hitouts to Sweet, 16 disposals, centre clearances and a few critical marks. He dominated the day. I’m not sure what Meeks stats were (maybe you can find out) but his opponent controlled that game.

Be clear, I am a Meek fan. He has great attributes and seems to try to expand his range of attributes with every game. Meek loves to try to bust through stoppages and often gets caught. He should try to bust through while holding the ball at head height knowing he will attract multiple tackles. If he could then hand pass to the free mids, it would put our guys in space and so create a perfect clearance. Reeves does not have Meek’s power.

Maybe this is Meek’s year. We will see.

Last edited:
Yep you must have missed it … or you may have erased it from your memory. It was not a good day.

Round 21 in the VFL last year. 52 hitouts to Sweet, 16 disposals, centre clearances and a few critical marks. He dominated the day. I’m not sure what Meeks stats were (maybe you can find out) but his opponent controlled that game.

Be clear, I am a Meek fan. He has great attributes and seems to try to expand his range of attributes with every game. Meek loves to try to bust through stoppages and often gets caught. He should try to bust through while holding the ball at head height knowing he will attract multiple tackles. If he could then hand pass to the free mids, it would put our guys in space and so create a perfect clearance. Reeves does not have Meek’s power.

Maybe this is Meek’s year. We will see.
Sorry I thought you were referring to Meek having good games at AFL level. Yes, Meek is good at VFL and WAFL level no argument here. Just needs to translate that to seniors.

Feel like it’s massive - we know Sicily shouldn’t be forced to play as a key defender- it takes away so much of his game- he’s best when he’s intercepting - so why not give Phillips a chance to free him up?

I like this idea in sentiment, but I don't think you throw him to the wolves against Porkins. He goes into bully mode against inexperience, just as he goes into his shell against a Brian.

Morrison isn't really someone who runs and carries though - he's had 8 running bounces in his career.

He finds space, marks it and then stops and assesses his options. He's a relatively low metres gained player for a wingman and isn't a line-breaker. To that end he could provide some balance to Weddle.

Agree that he could be more involved. He's a smart player and gets to good positions so could hopefully sneak forward for a few shots or at least help pull apart defensive structures.

Morrison was prolific in our late wins last season. Adds more to the team than is immediately obvious

Last edited:
As everyone knows I am a huge fan of Scrimmers but I have to admit that he doesn’t have the wheels to keep up with Cameron (not many KPDs do). Jack is much better suited against a forward who is a contested marker rather than someone who covers ground like Cameron does.

I would like to see Weddle have a crack as how good would it be to see Josh burn Cameron off half back and bang through a goal from 50m?
Cameron won't chase him. For a bloke who covers the ground well he can get lazy at times and a bit laconic. Weddle is gaining a good rep amongst the league. You treat him with disdain he will punish you. Rekon Scott would know this too bloke is very switched on.

Looks like out Reeves Gunston Finn
In Meek Hustwaite Morrison/Ramsden

Feel like Phillips has to be close- not sure what the plan is for Cameron/Hawkins don’t like Sicily as a key defender - hope it doesn’t cost us…
It has to be Weddle. I'm interested to see who we decide is taking Stewart. Would work perfectly if it's Dimma with Mitchell coming into the side but that's not happening and with Maginness also out what's the plan?. There small forwards are dangerous and all of Impey, Amon and Mass will have there work cut out to stop them without Dimma down there. TBH both Impey and Mass have been ok defensively it's Amon who is the worry. Give any of Miers, Stengle and Close any space they will cut teams up. Pickett was giving us real problems until Dimma went full lockdown last week and shut him out of the game. Who do we have that's as capable?. Interesting times ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meek is an enigma. He does a lot of great things, and then misses simple marks. He was obliterated by Jordan Sweet last year in the VFL… with Jordan now only being a backup option this year for Port in the AFL. And yet Meek was near the Hawks best player in 2 games last year.

I honestly couldn't care less if he drops marks. It's the follow up stuff that will matter. Bump a few blokes over, lay a hard tackle and it still impacts the play. He's more capable than Reeves to do this. Need him to play like Nankervis. Not a great tap ruck but is a bruiser who looks to hurt which makes him impactful on games.

Would be interesting if he comes in for Gunston. My guess is that would mean Chol spending quite a bit of game time in the ruck. And he did look very comfortable in the ruck last week.
I'd suggest we don't want there defenders marking everything so going a bit bigger to bring it to ground. Blokes like Henry and Kolo are also good intecepters.
We still could be freeing him up. Weddle looks to be the Cameron matchup. Scrimshaw probably takes either Dempsey/Henry which leaves Sic to take either. Henry is a similar player to Fritsch but not as good overhead. Fritsch is a star period.

I like this idea in sentiment, but I don't think you throw him to the wolves against Porkins. He goes into bully mode against inexperience, just as he goes into his shell against a Brian.
Only other choice is Frost on Porkins. Sadly we don’t have any other big bodies. Was really hoping Blanck would be that next big bodied defender against such forwards.

Our most in form mid (Hustwaite) wasnt even selected after the preseason he had

But yeah he doesn't have favourites!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Come on - no player is clearly in or out of form until the season begins and clearly Worps, Nash and Newcombe were doing a good job last year and were the experienced mids in the team with Day out. A coach would be dumb as two bricks for picking Huswaite round one based on preseason games. This post reeks of someone liking the sound of their own voice. And I am an expert on that topic (ie love the sound of my own voice).

Yeh, wouldn't want someone to disagree with you on a public discussion forum now would you.
Don’t be such a contrarian! 😉

More seriously though, Chol in the ruck mix means we can use Ramsden as a pure KPF with Lewis when Meek rolls out of the ruck and Chol goes in.

I expect Meek won’t rest forward much, but rather take the bulk of the ruck work and then come off for a spell.

Wouldn’t hurt to give Ramsden a few minutes on ball against Conway as he won’t be intimidated.

Looking forward to see how we balance these three ruck/fwd/rest.

We have should no excuses regarding ruck mobility / involvement after tap this week.

Agreed. I know he’s only just joined the club but I would have liked to see him come in to free up Sic. Easy did mention it would be a dream to play Easter Monday on Tom Hawkins. I would have granted that wish but that is my opinion. Sam and Co obviously believe he needs another week or two in the VFL.

Got a feeling Sic may go to Cameron now. Has played on him in the past and beaten him however, it will limit his best weapon (roaming and intercepting etc).

Only other choice is Frost on Porkins. Sadly we don’t have any other big bodies. Was really hoping Blanck would be that next big bodied defender against such forwards.

Think you'd still back Frosty or Sic in over the Phillips.

You really need an AFL seasoned body to compete with the the frontline big forwards, particularly since Porky has reached the veteran end of his career.

Cameron won't chase him. For a bloke who covers the ground well he can get lazy at times and a bit laconic. Weddle is gaining a good rep amongst the league. You treat him with disdain he will punish you. Rekon Scott would know this too bloke is very switched on.
I think Geelong rely on Hawkins to be the outspoken one in the forward line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back