Toast Round 3 = Brisbane Lions 72-92 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Credit to the coach on making some tough calls.

Still more than enough skill errors, but great to see the fight back.

Was surprised to see Scotty lash out, but serial pests will do that to you.

Enjoy the break guys. Nice to be back in the winners circle a shut up a few of those campaigners out there.

The perfect game to get us back on track, up against it across all categories (except maybe Brisbane coming off a bye), was an arm wrestle and we had to find our 2023 confidence to stand up in the last 1/3 of the game to control and deliver the outcome. Intent was missing in the previous rounds and we brought that tonight. I anticipate some up’s and downs to come, our skills are still missing at times. But that will come with confidence, I loved the chaos ball and taking the game on that shone through at times tonight.

Just to highlight and lowlight a few players.

Mihocek I think is our most important player, or at least he was for me this evening. Brings the ball to ground even though he’s undersized, I thought Andrews would tear us a new one tonight but Checkers brought the ball to ground effectively. He’s a phenomenal player. Reef did a good job i thought competing with Andrews 1:1 as well.

Elliot, it’s crazy how hard he goes and how often he takes a difficult grab, kicks a difficult goal. The bone crunching tackle in the last was phenomenal. No fear, and really set the tone with his approach.

Lipinski isn’t naturally as tough as the above two, but he has been outstanding and doing everything that is required of him each game. He went above and beyond tonight, and should get coaches votes.

I love Mcreery loose around the ball, creates chaos and the ball generally ends up heading our way. Kicks goals and applies pressure. Transitions really well. A key player in our structure.

Frampton is a lock for me, there is something about players standing up when you need them most. He was superb this evening. Will allow Moore to get more creative as well. Murphy can come in as a third tall if needed.

Q is slowly becoming our most impactful defender I feel. A perfect mix of defence and offence. Loved his game, would love for our players to kick on their non preferred more. The Daicos style outside of the boot is dinky and hard execute in most contested situations.

Degoey comes in and out of focus a lot during games, he’s a definite match winner and had a great game but would like more of the Neale type of dominance covering a full game.

Was disappointed with Pendles pulling out of a marking contest when the game was on the line. That’s inexcusable. He’s turning it over as well which suggests he’s probably questioning himself as well. Still came good at critical moments this evening, we need him in the 22. We need others to carry his load on ball though. I’d like to see Sullivan given a game. Macrae really didn’t come on tonight, I’d be inclined to give him another game. Continuity is key.

Schultz, I get the coaches rave about his pressure acts and similar to WHE it’s obviously there and a key part of our success…you still need to hit your targets, transition and kick your goals when it’s your turn. I think this will come with time, he’s come from a nothing team to the big time…a lot of pressure on him given what we paid for him (pick 4 as of yesterday!).

hill is a jet, but even he had skill errors tonight. I look forward to getting back to our best with another couple of confidence boosting wins.

Daicos was exceptional for a 21 year old, but he is a 21 year old. Gets caught out against the bigger bodies at times. He went from a good game (with corridor turnovers) to a great game because McRae manufactured some freedom off the half back flank. I would leave him there for most of the game. Would really like to see Sullivan in to partner Mitchell and Degoey.

A great confidence building win. A step in the right direction.

I liked a lot of what you said, but Lipinski? He was not good, super fumbly and poor with his disposal.

Good win to get the monkey off the back and release the pressure slightly.
That commitment to the contest to body the opposition amd make full contact is the standard. You can't play like fairies and expect to win games like rounds 0-2.

Loki, ‘fairies’? It’s not the dark ages at the Yarra Falls end.

There is no such thing as a perfect performance, especially when the game is reviewed by BF's finest analysts.

I had a bad feeling about this game.

Placing Nick behind the ball straightened the team up.

Tackles and intensity through the roof. Beau set the tone early.

Even the players who aren't performing at their expected dizzying heights are working hard on the basics (Pendles, Moore).
The pies put on display a gutsy performance in an away game against last year's GF opponent who had much to play for.

JDG is due and we might have some important names back by finals. It'll click and then look out, there's still life in this "old team". Write these mo-fos off at your peril.

Big Billy and Little Billy :blueheart:

There is no such thing as a perfect performance, especially when the game is reviewed by BF's finest analysts.

I had a bad feeling about this game.

Placing Nick behind the ball straightened the team up.

Tackles and intensity through the roof. Beau set the tone early.

Even the players who aren't performing at their expected dizzying heights are working hard on the basics (Pendles, Moore).
The pies put on display a gutsy performance in an away game against last year's GF opponent who had much to play for.

JDG is due and we might have some important names back by finals. It'll click and then look out, there's still life in this "old team". Write these mo-fos off at your peril.

Big Billy and Little Billy :blueheart:
Keep it quiet........ shhhhh
Are we B on T
B2B?

Calm Down Bernie Sanders GIF by GIPHY News

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we please not drop John Noble again… His energy and pressure is bloody invaluable.

The thing about Noble is that when he streams through the middle with ball in hand, and his opponent is a microsecond slower, then Noble looks like a superstar when he hits his teammate lace out in the goal square.

But when noble is a microsecond slower than his opponent and he get caught holding the ball instead, Noble looks like a bit of a fool.

Noble is a high risk / reward player.

Mason Cox has bad games, but he’s actually a good player.

5 score involvements from 11 disposals. He does the little one percenters too.

The 20 point winning margin is a lot - for us. The Essendon round 24 game was a smashing, but the Bombers were a basket case back then. Otherwise we have to go back to beating Freo in July last year for another comfortable win.

20 points also has to be recognised in the context of our 3 games in 12 days, playing Brisbane at home, and our tendency to have much narrower margins under Fly. Good work Pies.

Mason Cox has bad games, but he’s actually a good player.

5 score involvements from 11 disposals. He does the little one percenters too.
He's a 100 game, premiership player who once took a prelim by the scruff of the neck in 2018. He imposes himself on the contest and at 33 or however old he is, is coming into his prime. What a career for a project player plucked from the other side of the world. I just shake my head in amazement about how good of value he has been for our club!

They just turn up to hear Take Me Home Country Roads.
Thankfully, we only had to put up with it once last night.

On that subject, I think the AFL should have a rule that if the goal tunes haven’t stopped playing by the time the umpire is signalled to bounce the ball, then it’s a free kick to the away team.

It’s home team prerogative to play John Denver or Neil Diamond or whatever other kitch entertainment their supporter’s desire - but it shouldn’t be allowed during play.

Last edited:
The 20 point winning margin is a lot - for us. The Essendon round 24 game was a smashing, but the Bombers were a basket case back then. Otherwise we have to go back to beating Freo in July last year for another comfortable win.

20 points also has to be recognised in the context of our 3 games in 12 days, playing Brisbane at home, and our tendency to have much narrower margins under Fly. Good work Pies.
That is ridiculous playing 3 games in 12 days/4 in 19 days/4 games before April!

I thought that a couple of times that Nick attempted difficult disposals that didn't come off.
He's playing well, but isn't quite firing on all cylinders.
Mase used his body well in ruck contests, something he hasn't always been good at.
I thought he was better than DC last night, apart from playing on after he took a mark and getting pinged.

Much better intent and effort last night - keep it going!

Neale deserves an Oscar for his performance after Pendles' tummy tap.

Our defence was excellent last night.
Much more disciplined, assured and functional.
To be able to deny the Lions after a constant barrage in that 2nd qtr was a real positive for me.
Nobles drive, Quaynors intensity, Framptons concentration and the Naicos craft down back were all keys in our victory.
This is a good template moving forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back