Toast Round 3 = Brisbane Lions 72-92 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

So does his Mum - apparently....

PS - people carry on about 1st rounders and Derek Hine etc - Beau was pick 44 (Maynard pick 30) - fantastic value x 2 - thanks Derek

Let’s not discuss the rest of that draft then! Gulden and Holmes at #17 and #19 would have gone down a treat.

We had no access to gulden. And he wasnt pock 17

Swans would have had to match the bid. No guarantee that happens. They matched a later bid at #32 instead. We had #17.

disagree completely with Comment about Shultz .. he was number ! pressure rated on the ground ,, is fining his feet in fwd line and doing his role
I disagree with your disagreeing. I am still waiting to see what encouraged us to give up a 1st round draft pick for him, because so far he hasn't shown it. You don't get to be a first round pick on tackling alone.

I disagree with your disagreeing. I am still waiting to see what encouraged us to give up a 1st round draft pick for him, because so far he hasn't shown it. You don't get to be a first round pick on tackling alone.
If Ginnivan had shown the same intensity and pressure acts as Schultz he would never have been traded.
That’s the difference- Ginnivan would drop his head when things were going poorly, in contrast Schultz puts his head down keeps competing.
I’ll take a fierce competitive mind set any day, because once form returns Schultz will be a weapon.

What is a first round pick though TGG? We gave up what we believed to be a late teens pick.

Many are critical of macrae. He’s a late teens pick. Same as Allan. Are they looking like stars? Allan far to early to commment

First rounders are very overrated in many respects. Huge differences between top 5, top 10 picks and then into the teens.

North currently have a few top 10 picks playing.

Stevo, stephens are both top 7 picks doing sweet f all.

The draft is a lottery. You are more likely to get hits I’d argue top 10, outside of that there’s less and less chance.

Schultz is a known quality, who was the no 1 rated player for tackles and pressure acts in the game alongside Mitchell.

You pay more for a contracted player. We avoided a bidding war next season to try and win another flag.

Last edited:
What is a first round pick though TGG? We gave up what we believed to be a late teens pick.

Many are critical of macrae. He’s a late teens pick. Same as Allan. Are they looking like stars? Allan far to early to commment

First rounders are very overrated in many respects. Huge differences between top 5, top 10 picks and then into the teens.

North currently have a few top 10 picks playing.

Stevo, stephens are both top 7 picks doing sweet f all.

The draft is a lottery. You are more likely to get hits I’d argue top 10, outside of that there’s less and less chance.

Schultz is a known quality, who was the no 1 rated player for tackles and pressure acts in the game alongside Mitchell.

You pay more for a contracted player. We avoided a bidding war next season to try and win another flag.

Agree - especially when our 1st round pick is(still) likely to be high teens knocking on the door of 20 or even more after F/S, academy picks etc

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great win. Tackling was immense. So good to see that pressure back.

We look so good when we move the ball down the middle, even if there were some turnovers early on. Reminded me of the first half of last season.

Defence was great, especially holding up so well in that 2nd quarter when they threw everything at us. Hipwood went missing to an extent that his face will be on milk carton tomorrow

Swans would have had to match the bid. No guarantee that happens. They matched a later bid at #32 instead. We had #17.

I love your work TRS but sometimes we've all got to accept we've been snookered.

So we'll give you Holmes though under a different coach in Fly on that night I think it's likely we might have favoured his outside speed and running capacity rather than the inside work of Macrae.

As for Gulden if my memory serves me correctly back in 2020 clubs weren't limited to matching bids with the amount of picks equal to available list spots (due to the impacts of COVID and uncertainty on list sizes) so they wouldn't have had any trouble finding the points.

Even without that added allowance a bid at pick 17 after the 20% discount only requires 820pts to match, which is the equivalent of picks 40+41 as one example.

Given how good he has proven to be I'd be surprised if they didn't value his junior potential to the point they wouldn't have been motivated to match a bid if one had of been made by us.

I love your work TRS but sometimes we've all got to accept we've been snookered.

So we'll give you Holmes though under a different coach in Fly on that night I think it's likely we might have favoured his outside speed and running capacity rather than the inside work of Macrae.

As for Gulden if my memory serves me correctly back in 2020 clubs weren't limited to matching bids with the amount of picks equal to available list spots (due to the impacts of COVID and uncertainty on list sizes) so they wouldn't have had any trouble finding the points.

Even without that added allowance a bid at pick 17 after the 20% discount only requires 820pts to match, which is the equivalent of picks 40+41 as one example.

Given how good he has proven to be I'd be surprised if they didn't value his junior potential to the point they wouldn't have been motivated to match a bid if one had of been made by us.

I don’t know how highly the Swans rated him to be confident they would have valued him the equivalent of #17 less 20%, but I would have been quite happy (particularly in hindsight) to make Sydney pay the going rate for him regardless.

Imagine if instead of Poulter, McMahon etc. we could have accessed a player of Gulden’s ability! These academies, I tell ya…

We won a flag which ultimately is all that matters, however I think we may have made a mistake delisting Bianco and Ruscoe in particular. We don't have a mountain of young talent coming through and reckon Ruscoe in particular could've pushed selection this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We won a flag which ultimately is all that matters, however I think we may have made a mistake delisting Bianco and Ruscoe in particular. We don't have a mountain of young talent coming through and reckon Ruscoe in particular could've pushed selection this year
Ruscoe maybe as depth. Bianco a firm no. Not up to it and way to small

Both were there for free. Nobody took either. Think that backs our decision

Ruscoe's demise was inexplicable, Bianco was a plodder.

Ruscoe had an ok 2nd half on Anzac Day. Thought he was worth another look when Howe broke his arm, however he didn’t get that opportunity. That he didn’t get a run of games then it’s difficult to see where he would have fit.

Agree - especially when our 1st round pick is(still) likely to be high teens knocking on the door of 20 or even more after F/S, academy picks etc

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
We've had several fails in the top 10-20 picks.
You could even include Grundy as a fail. He was ok for a couple of years..
Schultz was a very shrewd pick. Elite in most areas of his game.

We've had several fails in the top 10-20 picks.
You could even include Grundy as a fail. He was ok for a couple of years..
Schultz was a very shrewd pick. Elite in most areas of his game.
Sure I mean, if you think 2 x AA, 2 x BnF is okay ;)

Bianco doing well for footscray so far the first two VFL games by the looks of it.
Ruscoe kicked 3 goals from 14 disposals yesterday. Surprised they're playing him forward.
Should never have moved Bianco to HB and should never have cut Ruscoe. Wrong calls there but it happened.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back