Game Day Round 3 - Essendon v St Kilda, Marvel Stadium, Saturday 30/3/24, 4.20pm AEDST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round 03.jpg

Form Line.jpg

ESSENDON

Once again, a somewhat promising performance was overshadowed by a piss-weak club decision to not even bother backing the player going hard at the ball. I know there's a video explaining our legal standpoint, blah blah blah, boring. Two-Metre-Peter will be sitting out the next month after Cunningham went back with the flight and copped the wrath. Game's gone.
The Swans turnover and transition game absolutely killed us. We are, once again, incapable of defending the transition.
We were dominant in the middle, with the undermanned Swans midfield conceding clearances constantly, but they didn't really need to worry about that so much when we would turn the ball over across half-forward and they would run it straight out completely unopposed.
This has been an issue for us for years now, and it's absolutely staggering that it is, again, going unaddressed.
With Wanganeen-Milera waiting for us this week, it will absolutely be the most glaring issue, once again.
Tom Papley kisses his Dad on the lips and pees sitting down.
Zach Merrett is a freak. He puts this entire time on his shoulders time and time again, and deserves more than to be one of the only ones who can run both ways.
Stringer did very little until late in the game, whilst the ex-Saint in Jade Gresham is proving to be a very astute pick-up.
* Sydney. Mugs.

SYDNEY 19.17 131
def.
ESSENDON 15.11 101

BEST:
Merrett, Setterfield, Martin, Gresham, Caldwell, Durham
GOALS: Gresham, Stringer 3, Langford, Merrett, Wright 2, Cox, Draper, Goldstein

-----------

ST KILDA

There's a lot to be said for the mental resolve of the Saints after seeing Mason Wood get absolutely cleaned up at the very start of the game and to still come away with the win against the reigning premier.
St Kilda looked to be on top in most facets of the game and kept Collingwood at arms length throughout, before the Pies started to rally right towards the end.
The Saints withstood a barrage of Inside 50s from the Pies, with Wilkie and Battle holding the fort.
The Pies were strong when the ball was moved quickly, but it was during the slow plays where the Saints would wrest back the advantage.
They flooded the backline to choke any sort of flow that Collingwood was trying to develop, and frustrated them into turnovers.
This saw Ross Lyon's team pile on 5 goals in a dominant third quarter, and ultimately set up the win.
They were helped by uncharacteristically poor errors with ball in hand from Sidebottom, Pendlebury, and Moore, with the Pies shooting themselves in the foot in very threatening positions on the ground.
Wanganeen-Milera is an absolute jet - He is lethal by foot and transitions the ball out of defence to attack better than almost anyone in the league. He will need very close attention today if he's to be quelled.
Good on the Saints for another successful Spud's Game, too - It's an extremely important aspect of all health these days, and bringing awareness and fundraising for the cause is always a wonderful thing to witness in our game.

ST KILDA 14.10 94
def.
COLLINGWOOD 12.7 79

BEST:
Wanganeen-Milera, Windhager, Steele, Higgins, Marshall, Owens
GOALS: Higgins 4, King 3, Membrey, Henry 2, Hill, Sharman, Phillipou

LineUps.jpg

rOUND03.jpg

ESSENDON OUTS: Elijah Tsatas, Alwyn Davey Jr (Both Omitted), Peter Wright (Suspension)
ESSENDON INS: Mason Redman, Darcy Parish, Jake Kelly

ST KILDA OUTS: Max King (Suspension), Mason Wood, Liam Henry (Both Injured)
ST KILDA INS: Dan Butler, Anthony Caminiti, Angus Hastie

milestones.jpg

[PLAYERCARD]jake kelly[/PLAYERCARD] 150.jpg

Debuts.jpg

hastie.jpg

Last Time.jpg

ROUND 3, 2023
MCG
1/4/2023

ST KILDA 14.8 92
def.
ESSENDON 11.8 74

---------

ST KILDA GOALS: Butler, Higgins 4, Hill, Wood, Gresham, Windhager, Owens, Caminiti
ESSENDON GOALS: Shiel, Caldwell, Perkins 2, Stringer, Langford, Parish, Martin, Menzie

ST KILDA BEST: Crouch, Wood, Higgins, Butler, Ross, Wilkie
ESSENDON BEST: Kelly, D'Ambrosio, Ridley, Shiel, McGrath

----------

CHANGES SINCE LAST TIME:

ST KILDA OUTS: Gresham, Crouch, Wood, Clark, Webster, Howard, Paton
ST KILDA INS: Bonner, Wilson, Membrey, Steele, Jones, Hastie, Sharman

ESSENDON OUTS: D'Ambrosio, Shiel, Ridley, Davey, Weideman, Jones
ESSENDON INS: Gresham, McKay, Duursma, Hobbs, Goldstein, Cox

tip.jpg

A lot has been made of our aggressive, physical approach to last week's game, but I for one believe it's the right way forward. Whilst our undermanned defence is still a concern, I think we match up on the Saints fairly well, and I think we can get the result here. Either way, we're in for a bloody exciting match.

Essendon by 5.

Last edited:

Enjoy. Cracking afternoon for it.
Hope you’re wrong about the result but fear you are not
yeah i went on a walk this morning and it was beautiful, i don’t mind football in weather like this, really sets it up well.

i hope im wrong too, but if we’re missing setters it might be a bit much

So walking into the ground and enjoying a cold beverage when Harry , Hobbs and Perkins wander out.
Hobbs kick the ball to Harry and he drops it .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hind's the sub which is interesting. Fingers crossed he brings some late dash and speed and doesn't do anything stupid this week.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jesus we really have gone slow with these changes.
Fast deck against a hard running saints, let's see how this goes for us.

Jones was dead to me after Hawthorn game but now he’s back, I’m hoping he turns it around. Can look great… even if that was a couple of years ago.

Perkins should benefit from Setters out (with Parish in). Be good to see him cut loose again.

Go Bombers!

Stick it up Ross the Toss(er)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back