Preview Round 4, 2019: St.Kilda v Hawthorn - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 14th April, 3:20PM AEST *BLUE RIBBON CUP*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 57 69.5%
  • Hawks

Votes: 25 30.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wingard went alright 10d 3m 3t 3g. Roughie should be ok to come back against your mob.
We have been ok so far but good sides will punish us. Hawks have had patches of their usual brilliance and the saints need to get on top of our young mids but your biggest concern perhaps is can Richardson out coach Clarko? interesting game for both teams, could go either way
I' ve got a pretty good idea about Wingard more interested in your view of Dylan Moore. If Roughie comes back did Dylan do enough to suggest you drop Nash?

I dont do honorable losses. Its more our gameplay that played into there hands. You give ross the boss a 5 goal headstart and its pretty much game over. Maybe this week we will come out to play from the start.

Poor start for sure, although the gift of the first goal to them didn’t exactly help.
We closed the gap, twice, but ultimately we beat ourselves with our conversion...yet again.

Poor start for sure, although the gift of the first goal to them didn’t exactly help.
We closed the gap, twice, but ultimately we beat ourselves with our conversion...yet again.
Lets hope weve moved on from last years mental fragility. Im still very fearful of the rot setting in.

Lets hope weve moved on from last years mental fragility. Im still very fearful of the rot setting in.

I hear you. I think that last year we would have collapsed in a heap whereas this week we closed first a 30pt and then 18 point deficit. We could well have won with a couple more minutes on the clock.

The difference, I believe, as in The Age article below, could be this...

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...aster-says-jack-billings-20190408-p51btr.html[/QUOTE]

“Billings said they stayed with the game plan that they have huge confidence in.”

If they have belief in the way they are playing it will go a long way toward halting any fragility.

Last edited:
I hear you. I think that last year we would have collapsed in a heap whereas this week we closed first a 30pt and then 18 point deficit. We could well have won with a couple more minutes on the clock.

The difference, I believe, as in The Age article below, could be this...

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...aster-says-jack-billings-20190408-p51btr.html

“Billings said they stayed with the game plan that they have huge confidence in.”

If they have belief in the way they are playing it will go a long way to halting any fragility.[/QUOTE]
I hope so. Still its just more words at the moment. Keen to see how they respond.

Marsh, at 194cm, where will we use him? He has been a forward, but mainly played in defence. As suggested, him to defence and Josh Battle forward. But for this week against Hawthorn I feel we should give Billy Longer a run.

I reckon I'd trial him up forward (over Battle), for a couple of reasons:
1. Battle has done his pre-season training as a backman and has locked down a spot in a defence that is settled and standing up well.
2. Marsh has speed. Imagine the forward pressure in our attacking 50 with him and Parker roaming around.

But he really does seem like that utility type that could play forward/back/mid if needed.

All speculation of course at this point given Marsh is yet to show a lot in the 2's, but who knows.

Wingard went alright 10d 3m 3t 3g. Roughie should be ok to come back against your mob.
We have been ok so far but good sides will punish us. Hawks have had patches of their usual brilliance and the saints need to get on top of our young mids but your biggest concern perhaps is can Richardson out coach Clarko? interesting game for both teams, could go either way
Luckily for Richo, he has the guy who has sat next to Clarko for years directing what we are doing.

They've got some quality small/mid sized forward that will give us a head ache but I don't think we match up too badly on them.

If Roughy comes back then Brown goes to him. Battle might be the best option for Gunston.

I think we've got some decent options in Geary, Webster, Wilkie or Mckenzie to go to Wingard and Bruest. Although I don't mind sending Geary to Smith.
I'm really looking forward to seeing Battle playing on Gunstan. The talk at the end of last year and during preseason was we are developing Battle in the same mould as Gunstan. It's going to be a great development opportunity for Battle to experience first hand what makes Gunstan such a gun player and test himself against him.

Steven & Long for Kent & Sinclair.

I think Acres is safe. He’s back up ruck which allows Bruce to remain forward.
Kent just hssn't done enough to keep the spot.
Long time agree. Wish he'd played this week.
Stuv back for sure if available. Someone has to make way and Sinks didn't set the world on fire so highly possible.

I' ve got a pretty good idea about Wingard more interested in your view of Dylan Moore. If Roughie comes back did Dylan do enough to suggest you drop Nash?
No, Moore didn't do enough to retain his spot.

It will be interesting to see how we address the Hawks two-prong ruck attack. Wouldn't surprise me if we bring in Longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be interesting to see how we address the Hawks two-prong ruck attack. Wouldn't surprise me if we bring in Longer.

Would surprise me, we'd generally back in Roma to break even at core contests and provide the third ground option, then the run and spread to cover the resting ruckman allowing a Brown or Wilkie to match up and rotate through, then eventually run them off their feet and wide.

Said it well before the Freo game, we will win.

Sure, it's Hawthorn and sure Clarko shits gold, but they can't really stop other sides from not scoring and our makeshift defense has been rather impressive in how it's been able to cover deficiencies where we just need to break even in the contest and we're in for a penny and a pound and kicking them out of Dingley and into a tip.

Longer unless he's found a newfound appreciation of second efforts is nowhere near it.

If longer comes in Marshall will only ruck for about 20 minutes. That would be a big mistake
I personally wouldn't go that way but I wouldn't be surprised if we do. Marshall would play as a forward.

Alternatively we back in what we've done so far and try to outrun the Hawks.

This will be a battle of the new and old St Kilda rucks. McEvoy is playing his 100th game for us. Savage and Dunstan who were his trade price are presumably playing too.

3rd game for Scully, our cut- price 'Hanners'. Rusty but running well. Our 3rd import last year, Scrimshaw, also playing.

We are thin in the mids, especially with Steele tagging O'Meara but have the advantage of using 2 genuine rucks. Since 2012 McEvoy is the most accurate forward in the competition. 95 shots at 69.5%. So hoping he gets 2 or 3 shots at goal.

Should be an interesting match, with ebbs and flows, as you have been playing with spirit.

This will be a battle of the new and old St Kilda rucks. McEvoy is playing his 100th game for us. Savage and Dunstan who were his trade price are presumably playing too.

3rd game for Scully, our cut- price 'Hanners'. Rusty but running well. Our 3rd import last year, Scrimshaw, also playing.

We are thin in the mids, especially with Steele tagging O'Meara but have the advantage of using 2 genuine rucks. Since 2012 McEvoy is the most accurate forward in the competition. 95 shots at 69.5%. So hoping he gets 2 or 3 shots at goal.

Should be an interesting match, with ebbs and flows, as you have been playing with spirit.
We don't have Hawks midfield quality but our depth will be better. I expect the game to wax and wane accordingly. Without Shiel Burgers and Titch the likes of Morrison and poppy are vulnerable.

Not very subtle brag.

Ive read alot of posts on here and i think people are being a bit over the top . Yes we lost and didnt play that well , but we only lost by 5 points and won our previous two games . I dont see Richo making many changes , probably Stuv in for Clarke will probably be it . If it was me i would be playing Clarke as much as possible but i think the other players dont deserve to be dropped yet . Sinclair had a quiet game but as been good in the other two . The only player under threat in my opinion might be Kent but i think they will give him more time.
I would also be looking at playing both Marshall and Pierce given Hawks rucking challenge but im not sure who they would drop to make way for Pierce.

Could you be any more patronising

We don't have Hawks midfield quality but our depth will be better. I expect the game to wax and wane accordingly. Without Shiel Burgers and Titch the likes of Morrison and poppy are vulnerable.

We have O'Meara, who has poor DE and 2 second year kids as our starting mids. Howe if he is fit is a big body and a reliable tagger. Then bits and pieces. Wings have tended to set up behind the ball so soon form our 7 or 8 back line configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back