Round 4: Changes Vs Eagles (DERBY TIME)

Remove this Banner Ad

I want to understand who Tom North has pissed off to not be mentioned. Howlett and Hazleby spruiked him up in the paper this morning and training/Peel watchers rate him

Wonder whats going on there

Why are we getting bent out of shape about North not being lauded publicly by Ross yet?

He's played one WAFL game and spent most of last season injured. The players and training watchers talk about his massive potential, which I'm sure is there - but surely it can't be beyond logic to see he needs to string a few good performances at Peel.

I heard he was good last weekend, but not the best and probably not ready to debut in a Derby.

His time will come.

The first game Fyfe missed last year everyone was thinking we were going to get smashed and we ended up knocking off Adelaide.

I'm not expecting us to win but if we take the game on like we've got nothing to lose I think we can do a lot better than most are expecting.

The way to beat West Coast is not to go defensive - stealing some key words from Marc Webb - I hope we are strong at the contest and with our pressure, keep structure ahead of the ball and attack quickly. They play a bruise free style, we need a lot of those Brayshaw tackles from the 4th quarter on Sunday.

Relentless forward pressure, ala round 1 is the only thing that will see us through this. Speed, agility and playing on quickly at all costs. Otherwise we start kicking it to McGovern like he signed a 6 million year deal with us.

Good news, Margetts might also miss

56957728_2294981857228574_1361799160214323200_n.png

I miss Eddie getting Mundy and Mayne confused every time he called us

the real question is which one do we make look like an absolute star.

the vast majority of supporters I doubt would, but some members of the crowd, the ones that believed Brayshaw was to blame for the incident (soft jaw etc) could well do it at the same point. I hope I get proven wrong on that last point
The funny thing is Eddie has 500000 reasons to remember now.

I’m thinking

In- Darcy, Nyhuis
Out- Fyfe (inj), Banfield (omitted)

B- Pearce Hamling Ryan
HB- Hughes Wilson Duman
C- Hill Mundy Langdon
HF- Walters Hogan Dardy
F- Taberner Lobb Matera
RR- Brayshaw Darcy Cerra

Int Nyhuis Conca Tucker Colyer

Nyhuis to shut down one of their smalls and get Cerra on ball!

Haven’t included Swits as I think he’ll be doing another week at Peel.

The first game Fyfe missed last year everyone was thinking we were going to get smashed and we ended up knocking off Adelaide.

I'm not expecting us to win but if we take the game on like we've got nothing to lose I think we can do a lot better than most are expecting.

The way to beat West Coast is not to go defensive - stealing some key words from Marc Webb - I hope we are strong at the contest and with our pressure, keep structure ahead of the ball and attack quickly. They play a bruise free style, we need a lot of those Brayshaw tackles from the 4th quarter on Sunday.
Blakely played really well that day as a big bodied mid.

backing Brayshaw, problem with him is that there’s absolutely no doubt west coast fans will boo him from start to finish.

Will be an utter disgrace if it happens and I think the club is aware of it, hence the "moving on" comments in the West yesterday. Sadly, I think it Brayshaw will get booed by the same kind of classless mouth breathing degenerate that was burning a Freo jumper at the same fixture last year.

Other then the obvious of protecting Nats health and well being i think if Ross does the right thing there could be a real silver lining in Nat not playing.

Brayshaw moved into the middle more last week when Nat got hurt and other then two absolute shanks at the end he really stepped up. But i'm really looking at Cerra, i'm bamboozled as to why he isn't getting midfield minutes so surely this opens up the opportunity for him to play as a primary mid this week.
I think all he needs is one chance to get in there and he can prove he is ready.

Sure it appears that Hogan has had a slow start, but I've seen signs that he is on the right track. His timing has been slightly off, but his endeavour is slowly ramping up. It takes time to adjust to a new team and playing style, did we really expect him to be an immediate plug and play at 100% player ?.

I see it as he has just shifted out of first gear and has moved into the second gear, and should move quickly through to third shortly.
Let us not forget he has come back from a serious injury and has a very interrupted preseason.

Agree, let's give him 4 or 5 more weeks.

Sure it appears that Hogan has had a slow start, but I've seen signs that he is on the right track. His timing has been slightly off, but his endeavour is slowly ramping up. It takes time to adjust to a new team and playing style, did we really expect him to be an immediate plug and play at 100% player ?.

I see it as he has just shifted out of first gear and has moved into the second gear, and should move quickly through to third shortly.
Changing teams in the off season is a pretty poor excuse for a drop off in form. Ask Lachie Neale if he agrees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW any West Coast fan who boo’s Brayshaw should have their membership revoked. I don’t doubt there will be the odd idiot who does it but if the entire crowd does it would be both surprised and disappointed.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
What's worse brayshaw boos or the standing ovations you absolute soulless Married at first sight fans gave Gaff?

Changing teams in the off season is a pretty poor excuse for a drop off in form. Ask Lachie Neale if he agrees.
Very different situations though. Lachie had his first full pre-season ever this year. That was the most annoying thing when he got traded, we knew Brisbane were going to get Neale in prime condition. I have no doubt he'd have similar career best stats if he was still at Freo. And I would still do that trade every day of the week personally - it will be our equivalent of the Judd trade in the long run imo.

Early reports were Hogan probably would still be have a long journey in rehab by Round 1 (some were pencilling in a mid season debut). I'm astonished people think he was moving ok on Sunday. I was watching him a lot and he is still miles off his usual run and pace. I'm personally not expecting him to be hitting his straps until after the bye - and even then I think we'll more likely see closer to his best next year. People saying he is disinterested are off the mark - his reaction after the win was really good. He's clearly frustrated with his own body not being able to do what he wants it to though.

I think it's also easier for those first possession inside mids to play their role in any team from day dot. I'm not expecting Blakely to take a long time to settle in to an inside mid role when he returns. Whereas a KPP seems a far more complicated situation.

Glad to see Fyfe omitted for at least this week. That was a heavy knock.

But sadly, that means next week, I will likely have to put up with Slime supporters in the Fyfe vs Yeo thread telling me that Yeo has won the chocolates in the last 4 Western derbies (NB: they have both played against each other in just one of the last 3 derbies. Yet in Feb, a Slime supporter stated Yeo had beaten Fyfe in the last 3 derbies, even though Fyfe was better than Yeo in their only game in the last 3 in 2018 R6).

Very different situations though. Lachie had his first full pre-season ever this year. That was the most annoying thing when he got traded, we knew Brisbane were going to get Neale in prime condition. I have no doubt he'd have similar career best stats if he was still at Freo. And I would still do that trade every day of the week personally - it will be our equivalent of the Judd trade in the long run imo.

Early reports were Hogan probably would still be have a long journey in rehab by Round 1 (some were pencilling in a mid season debut). I'm astonished people think he was moving ok on Sunday. I was watching him a lot and he is still miles off his usual run and pace. I'm personally not expecting him to be hitting his straps until after the bye - and even then I think we'll more likely see closer to his best next year. People saying he is disinterested are off the mark - his reaction after the win was really good. He's clearly frustrated with his own body not being able to do what he wants it to though.

I think it's also easier for those first possession inside mids to play their role in any team from day dot. I'm not expecting Blakely to take a long time to settle in to an inside mid role when he returns. Whereas a KPP seems a far more complicated situation.
I agree that preseason interruptions/completion and injury is a valid reason for poor form but that wasn't what was originally put forward.

10 goals seems good doesn't it.. its well reported he is a long way off his best form
It's 10 goals more than 0.

I agree that preseason interruptions/completion and injury is a valid reason for poor form but that wasn't what was originally put forward.
I think if you look further than just cherry picking two players like Neale and Lynch, you'd find changing teams does have an impact more often than not as well though. Look at the guys West Coast traded in over the years and most were rubbish in their first year or two (eg Redden). Some of North's 4 recruits are going ok individually but in terms of them gelling as a team they suck. We're a bit the same in that we've added 4 new faces and our entire forward line has changed. I have no doubt players coming into a B22 where the other 21 players have played together for a bit would settle in quicker than coming into a more chaotic environment with lots of changes going on. We'll get there - we just need to be a bit patient.

I think if you look further than just cherry picking two players like Neale and Lynch, you'd find changing teams does have an impact more often than not as well though. Look at the guys West Coast traded in over the years and most were rubbish in their first year or two (eg Redden). Some of North's 4 recruits are going ok individually but in terms of them gelling as a team they suck. We're a bit the same in that we've added 4 new faces and our entire forward line has changed. I have no doubt players coming into a B22 where the other 21 players have played together for a bit would settle in quicker than coming into a more chaotic environment with lots of changes going on. We'll get there - we just need to be a bit patient.
It's almost as if changing sides is so inconsequential that virtually any other factor has a more meaningful impact on the form of the player. I'm sure we could each name 20 that have improved or gone backwards immediately following a trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back