Game Day Round 5, 2020: Carlton v St.Kilda *BUTLER & HOWARD 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hang on. Hold up. Carlton have 3 players in the rolling AA side and Butler can't get a look in? Greene hasn't even played 4 games this season how is he getting a nod?
He's still kicked more goals than Butler and averages more disposals. Haven't watched any GWS games this year so can't tell you much more than that. I'm sure he'll force his way in eventually on his current trajectory.

some inside goss. they've asked the WACA to be prepped over here. which is immediately across the bridge from the Perth stadium. i was told about Perth stadium taking crowds before it was announced. the ground would be pretty small now that they brought in the east and west end.

i don't yet know if it's for training or actual games. i suspect it might be actual games. especially if crowds are not allowed.

IMO Claverino is one of the most over-rated prospect i've seen on here since Ledger. he may turn that around, but it's not exactly looking promising.
Sorry, but gotta jump in here as this comes up in every bloody time a Sandy game that gets reported on.

Having seen Clav play a bit, and spoken to a number that have seen him play a fair bit more, he is most definitely NOT rated. IMO would be the fist player ready to delist.

The support comes from those saying "talls take longer" (which is true, but every other tall we have drafted had shown 10x more by now), or people that saw an intraclub game where he managed to beat Lewis Pearce or Billy Longer (cant remember which, but not sure it matters), or saw that he got in the bests in the last VFL game last year (which kinda seemed like the auskick kid that gets the maccas award in the last game of the year because he hasn't had a turn yet. Most weeks, the bests named at a Sandy game have very very little to do with reality).

Ledger absolutely dominated VFL games week in week out, and saw more poorly performed players picked over him regularly. The frustration was at the lack of selection integrity (which was the same deal with White and people wanting to see great form rewarded). Last year, Clav should have been playing Dev league if it still existed. As someone that has seen both play in the VFL, Ledger and Clav are not comparable in any way (Ledger and White yes, but that is a different conversation that also needs Tom Lynch and Luke Miles included).

Clav is not a KPD (despite being named at FB in his U18 year as people point out). He is as much of a KPD as Robbo is or Sam Fisher was. He is a 3rd intercepting tall, and 7th in line for a game in that role behind Wilkie, Battle, Coff, Robbo, Joyce & Austin (all of which have shown vastly more while also being reasonably young - besides Robbo). Can anyone honestly see him overtaking that group? Because if he doesn't soon, I am not sure we need a 8th spare intercepting tall on our list moving forward (given Jake plays that role too).

What seems to happen is that after the assessments of various Sandy watchers come through - people feel the need to come to his defence. Absolutely fair enough. They say he made U18 AA, or he got injured 6 months prior, or he made the bests in the VFL once. Yes he did, and he may still make it. Nobody can know what will happen in the future, and I hope he does.

But that doesn't change the fact that for most of last year he was not up to scratch for VFL, let alone AFL. And I have heard nothing from anyone that has actually watched him play to suggest he is 'rated.' If we were going down the 'wait and see' path with a defender, I would have much much much rather kept Goddard. He was playing bloody well week in week out, and genuinely embarrassed Weideman in the last game he played. Personally I think keeping Clav over Goddard was the wrong call, but we went this route. As I say, I hope he improves. But he is coming from a long long way back, and unfortunately needs something significant to change to jump over three others in the 'delist' queue!

Last edited:
Onto more important issues why does the Carlton coach look like a Caitlyn Jenner wax statue?

Leave him alone, dewiness is a condition suffered by many metrosexual men who went hard on excessive use of exfoliants back in the crazy Noughties. And sure he might have had a little prick of botox here and there as well...... and his bronze to blond highlights with a 360 degree part at the fringe might make him look a little bit like an 80s pop star but he's adding a bit of pizazz to a dreary industry dominated but bulldog-faced troglodytes like Bucks. I think he looks fabulous. He's looks like a Las Vegas magician who's dry-cleaning got mixed up with a Nascar driver.

Sorry but this is a pet hate of mine. Came up every bloody time a Sandy game was reported on.

Having seen Clav play a bit, and spoken to a number that have seen him play a fair bit more, he is most definitely NOT rated. IMO would be the fist player ready to delist.

The support comes from those saying "talls take longer" (even though every other tall we have drafted had shown 10x more by now), or people that saw an intraclub game where he managed to beat Lewis Pearce or Billy Longer (cant remember which, but not sure it matters), or saw that he got in the bests in the last VFL game last year (which kinda seemed like the auskick kid that gets the maccas award in the last game of the year because he hasn't had a turn yet).

Ledger dominated VFL games week in week out, and saw more poorly performed players picked over him regularly (hence the frustration). Last year, Clav should have playing Dev league if it still existed. As someone that has seen both play VFL, Ledger and Clav are not comparable in any way.

Clav is not a KPD (despite being named at FB in his U18 year as people point out). He is a 3rd intercepting tall, and 7th in line for a game in that role behind Wilkie, Battle, Coff, Robbo, Joyce & Austin (all of which have shown vastly more while also being reasonably young - besides Robbo).

What seems to happen is that after the honest assessments of various Sandy watchers come through - people feel the need to come to his defence. Absolutely fair enough. They say he made U18 AA, or he got injured 6 months prior, or he made the bests in the VFL once. Yes he did, and he may still make it. Nobody can know what will happen in the furture, and I hope he does.

But that doesn't change the fact that for most of last year he was not up to scratch for VFL, let alone AFL. And I have heard nothing from anyone that has actually watched him play to suggest he is 'rated.' If we were going down the 'wait and see' path with a defender, I would have much much much rather have kept Goddard who was playing bloody well in the VFL.

Yeah I hardly recall a positive comment after we drafted him. Only stood out cos we live traded to pick him? Should have gone constable.

We also live traded to get Aaron young.

Maybe we shouldn't live trade.

First can went down a treat, can't wait for tonight!

Counting down the minutes mate... I feel like regardless of the result I'm likely to be a little bit seedy at work tomorrow. Thursday night games are potentially dangerous.

some inside goss. they've asked the WACA to be prepped over here. which is immediately across the bridge from the Perth stadium. i was told about Perth stadium taking crowds before it was announced. the ground would be pretty small now that they brought in the east and west end.

i don't yet know if it's for training or actual games. i suspect it might be actual games. especially if crowds are not allowed.
pretty sure its for training only ... apparently Geelong were "scouting for a training venue as training on Optus is not allowed and the option of training at the WCE home has been ruled out ... i know Basso oval was also being looked at

Yeah I hardly recall a positive comment after we drafted him. Only stood out cos we live traded to pick him? Should have gone constable.

We also live traded to get Aaron young.

Maybe we shouldn't live trade.
Sorry but Clavarino is by far no lost cause , last he was hampered by a leg issue and never started playing till half way through the season , this year he had another issue in preseason.
Also the kid was just about best on ground the last game for Sandringham last year so he is no way near washed up after just turning 21 a couple weeks ago.

I heard the same crap last year about Marshall however he is 3+ yrs older than Oscar.

I have high hopes on this kid and at 2m they are hard to come by.

Last edited:
Counting down the minutes mate... I feel like regardless of the result I'm likely to be a little bit seedy at work tomorrow. Thursday night games are potentially dangerous.
This is where working from home is a positive, haha.

Haha

Mate I explained it to you but you chose to ignore my post.

You are totally hung up about how many touches he has a game, which hilariously is very similar to the AA full back of last year.

You clearly haven't watched a Carlton game this year, otherwise you'd know he smashed Tom Lynch round one and did the same to Tom McDonald round two.

In fact he didn't have a goal kicked on him until late in the 3rd qtr of round 3

I'm a Dougal fan but form wise, Weitering would take his spot.

It's no accident people in the media are talking him up in AA form and that the coaches are handing him coaches votes.

Now stop embarrassing yourself and move on.
Is that the game where Richmond kicked 16 goals? I suppose Weitering did at least try to stem the tide by punching the ball away from Lynch - he must have given that he only took two marks. Wonder how the Tiges small forwards went in that game?

PS I wouldn't be using Tom McDonald as a reference point. Looks like he's stolen all of Pluggers dimmies and Massive Merv's left over pizza's.

As for coaches votes - like I said - they've gotta give out 30 votes whether its a crap game or a good game - whether players have played well or not.

I see that Gary Rohan was the only Geelong player to receive a vote (1 solitary vote) in the Geelong V Carlton game which the Blues fell over the line to win by 2 points - that clearly says to me that Chris Scott was giving votes to opposition players to make a point to his own players.

Either that or that Carlton were so crap that despite having the 7 best players on the park they could still only win by 2 points. What do you think?

Saints by 42

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry but Clavarino is by far no lost cause , last he was hampered by a leg issue and never started playing till half way through the season , this year he had another issue in preseason.
Also the kid was just about best on ground the last game for Sandringham last year so he is no way near washed up after just turning 21 a couple weeks ago.

I heard the same crap last year about Marshall however he was he was 2 yrs older than Oscar.

I have high hopes on this kid and at 2m they are hard to come by.

I'm not writing the kid off but Marshall was an absolute prospect from the get go. Hence the nickname!

Haha

Mate I explained it to you but you chose to ignore my post.

You are totally hung up about how many touches he has a game, which hilariously is very similar to the AA full back of last year.

You clearly haven't watched a Carlton game this year, otherwise you'd know he smashed Tom Lynch round one and did the same to Tom McDonald round two.

In fact he didn't have a goal kicked on him until late in the 3rd qtr of round 3

I'm a Dougal fan but form wise, Weitering would take his spot.

It's no accident people in the media are talking him up in AA form and that the coaches are handing him coaches votes.

Now stop embarrassing yourself and move on.
I've got to say - I thought I maybe I have been a bit harsh on Weitering and I was gonna take your advice and go back and watch him monster Shaun McKernan (what a scalp!!!).

So I started on the last half of Essendon v Carlton game but then it dawned on me that I'd be watching a half of football where Essendon kick 3 goals (one after the siren) and Carlton kick one - so f***ing riveting. I cleaned the toilets instead - wife was very surprised!!!

I've got to say - I thought I maybe I have been a bit harsh on Weitering and I was gonna take your advice and go back and watch him monster Shaun McKernan (what a scalp!!!).

So I started on the last half of Essendon v Carlton game but then it dawned on me that I'd be watching a half of football where Essendon kick 3 goals (one after the siren) and Carlton kick one - so f***ing riveting. I cleaned the toilets instead - wife was very surprised!!!
Okay cobba

Is that the game where Richmond kicked 16 goals? I suppose Weitering did at least try to stem the tide by punching the ball away from Lynch - he must have given that he only took two marks. Wonder how the Tiges small forwards went in that game?

PS I wouldn't be using Tom McDonald as a reference point. Looks like he's stolen all of Pluggers dimmies and Massive Merv's left over pizza's.

As for coaches votes - like I said - they've gotta give out 30 votes whether its a crap game or a good game - whether players have played well or not.

I see that Gary Rohan was the only Geelong player to receive a vote (1 solitary vote) in the Geelong V Carlton game which the Blues fell over the line to win by 2 points - that clearly says to me that Chris Scott was giving votes to opposition players to make a point to his own players.

Either that or that Carlton were so crap that despite having the 7 best players on the park they could still only win by 2 points. What do you think?

Saints by 42

Why are you trolling your own board and fellow St Kilda posters? You should be saying this shit on our board to stir up Carlton posters.

Actually I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why Weitering is so good with his 11 possessions and 4 marks - not even the Carlton supporters have had a crack - c'mon someone - please help me out!!!!

You love an argument - here's a hypothetical - AFL Fairy says to Ratts you can have Weitering for a game. Who is Ratts dropping and why will it make us so so so much better?

GOP+

Saints by 35
I don’t even understand that at all. Maybe sen are all Carlton supporters. And who said there was a big gap. Weitering is going better than Carlisle and Howard but that doesn’t mean we would be stupid enough to get him to improve 5%. It’s not difficult to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back