Autopsy Round 5, 2020: Carlton v St.Kilda *BUTLER & HOWARD 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit annoying that we play two sh*t teams now, I think it's time our boys were tested against the likes of Port or one of the Qld teams.

I want to see how good we really are.

Yeah not ideal having two 9 day breaks but playing two s**t teams, when we could've lined up Geelong with them having a 5 day break.
And not playing the Crows while they're still in Queensland isn't efficient. I still think the bigger clubs are being favoured, but we're not complaining at the moment because we're playing well and lining up the two bottom clubs. Tough year though. Can't wait to see us against the Lions and Port, and how we'll handle the Pies again in the finals!

Gotta say - they're delusional over on the Carlton board.
It's a very entertaining read.
A lot of love for Newnes too.
This guy should not be in our 22 regularly........ for FFS, he should be down amongst the 35th to 44th player in our thinking for team selection each week ........... Get Newnes out of that side right ******* now.
It's almost like they have copied and pasted posts from the Saints autopsies last year

Bit annoying that we play two sh*t teams now, I think it's time our boys were tested against the likes of Port or one of the Qld teams.

Getting a bit ahead of yourself buddy , as they say , one week at a time

Nar l don't reckon so. This season is throwing up unpredictable results almost every game, so we shouldn't think that playing teams lower on the ladder whilst in hubs is gonna be an easier run.

With that said, we're also due for an easier opposition.
There's nothing wrong with a couple of "easier" games to help cement our new style and set us up for the next major challenge.

The boys have done very well thus far, we don't want them run into the ground if we can help it..

The Crows in Adelaide should never be taken lightly either.

I still think Acres can be a player, unlucky to get injured at Freo. But none of the other three have really made any impact at their new clubs, no question in my mind we made the right call to move them on.

And turning the clock back a bit further, Hickey, Hugh Goddard, Rhys Stanley. We haven't really let anyone go who turned out to be better than we thought for quite some time.

Was a good replay to watch. We were good. Mature win from a young side.

Billings was better than I thought live (seems to happen often). I thought live he was probably 5th or 6th best but I'd give him second best on. Was good over the whole game. Involved always, won lots of one on ones. His goal was crucial. Is a leader out there.

Long was brilliant I thought. Would have him or Marshall getting the one vote. Hard to split. Both marks were great. Plenty of intercepts. Tough as anything. Looks good at half back, particularly in the last two games.

Howard, Wilkie and Carlisle are a great defensive tall set up. Completely nullified the three Blues talls.

3-2 with Membrey and Hill having one game each remotely close to their best. If those two get going, we're looking very good.

You have just got to love how Coff is trending

DescriptionDateOpponentResultKHBDMGBTHOGAI50CLCGR50FFFAAFSC
Round 5​
Jul 2​
13​
7​
20​
9​
0​
0​
1​
0​
0​
3​
0​
2​
4​
0​
0​
84​
119​
Round 4​
Jun 27​
10​
6​
16​
5​
0​
0​
1​
0​
0​
0​
3​
1​
1​
0​
0​
61​
73​
Round 3​
Jun 20​
10​
5​
15​
8​
0​
0​
2​
0​
0​
1​
0​
2​
2​
1​
0​
73​
62​
Round 2​
Jun 14​
6​
6​
12​
3​
0​
0​
1​
0​
0​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
0​
44​
53​

My thoughts on the game...

Loved the fast, attacking style of the first quarter and the first part of the second and last. We held them at bay and that was a good, early sign of maturity.

Steele doing another excellent job on Cripps. Don’t think it’s a coincidence for Steele that he raises his game against Cripps. I think he likes the challenge and it almost seems personal between them. The trick is for him to do it on all types of opponents and hurt teams going forward.

Marshall ageing like a fine wine during and with every game. Always works his way into it and he was very good in the clearances. Bodes well for our future. Leave him to be the sole ruck please.

Loved Coffield’s game. I’ve been consistent on him being a player with a high ceiling and the evidence was there last night. Hope he keeps performing because he’s got the tools, just needs the inner belief.

Marsh and Kent pleasantly surprised. Not sold yet but happy with their output last night and want to see them keep at that level. Both bottom 2 players but both had decent games in various, hard to measure ways.

Disappointed for Hannebery. Looked sharp, almost pre-16 GF like. Want him back soon.

The young core of this team excites me. It was the young group that stood up for this one. Led by a terrific captain and some older heads. I reckon it’s a core that can go deep but it needs a few within it to become AA players. The even spread is definitely a good thing but every team needs stars or match-winners and I’m keen to see who steps up or if we can recruit one or two.

Happy days.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

True. Played with hodge Mitchell Lewis at Hawks and fyfe neale at freo. We're a touch more blue chip at the moment.

I do like our depth (when hanners Jones and Dunstan don't all injure themselves within 5 days) and we're showing we're not reliant on any one mid every week.

Once hill's purring we'll be in a good spot. Great challenge against the cats midfield next week. (hopefully)
Blue Chip or Blue Collar?

On SM-T290 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not proud to say that I thought he'd be a bust. The only smart thing I said was we should keep playing him into form because he won't improve not playing. I still wasn't convinced though.
you were not alone there .... i was as salty as when we picked him as i was almost certain we were getting Powell Pepper as our first pick in that draft and when SPP went before our pick Shai Bolton was who i felt was our next target ...
i remember 2017 being totally convinced we stuffed it up by taking long over Bolton... im happy to say im glad my anger was misguided

I still think Acres can be a player, unlucky to get injured at Freo. But none of the other three have really made any impact at their new clubs, no question in my mind we made the right call to move them on.
Acres i reckon Ratts would have made a good player
Bruce i reckon is drinking his own bathwater a bit ... he came to us as a player craving opportunity and when he got that he made the most of it , he leaves for the Dogs as some sort of marquee signing and i dont think he is as desperate as he was when he first came to us ..
Newnes was a richo foot soldier nothing special but follows direction no great loss
Steven was done, his best was still exceptional but the reality was he was unlikely to get to his best regularly enough to really help us ...
i know why we didnt trade him earlier cause it would have gutted our club at that time but it would have been nice to have gotten a little more for him

And turning the clock back a bit further, Hickey, Hugh Goddard, Rhys Stanley. We haven't really let anyone go who turned out to be better than we thought for quite some time.
Hutchings prob the only one .... even Cripps has been good but not great

You have just got to love how Coff is trending

DescriptionDateOpponentResultKHBDMGBTHOGAI50CLCGR50FFFAAFSC
Round 5​
Jul 2​
13​
7​
20​
9​
0​
0​
1​
0​
0​
3​
0​
2​
4​
0​
0​
84​
119​
Round 4​
Jun 27​
10​
6​
16​
5​
0​
0​
1​
0​
0​
0​
3​
1​
1​
0​
0​
61​
73​
Round 3​
Jun 20​
10​
5​
15​
8​
0​
0​
2​
0​
0​
1​
0​
2​
2​
1​
0​
73​
62​
Round 2​
Jun 14​
6​
6​
12​
3​
0​
0​
1​
0​
0​
1​
1​
1​
1​
1​
0​
44​
53​

Can just see Richo sitting at home and having a mild panic attack at those tackle numbers.

"Drop him to Sandy until he learns how to defend. Bring me Dan McKenzie. He defends better"

Last edited:
So important to play winning and attractive football when we get some exposure on FTA. So of course the AFL have rewarded us with another 2 games on Foxtel.

That probably has more to do with the opposition we're playing than us, if we were playing other top 8 teams we'd be a better chance of getting more FTA games.

you were not alone there .... i was as salty as when we picked him as i was almost certain we were getting Powell Pepper as our first pick in that draft and when SPP went before our pick Shai Bolton was who i felt was our next target ...
i remember 2017 being totally convinced we stuffed it up by taking long over Bolton... im happy to say im glad my anger was misguided
Dont feel bad, people laughed like drains when the Hawks took Hodge over Judd and Ball way back when.

Early on I thought Coff moved like Rhys-Jones the way he ran, then Richo got to him and he was stifled by the lockdown gameplan.
Think Ratten's gameplan suits him more and now he is reminding me of the 2003 no.1 pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back