U18 Champs Round 5 - Country vs SA

Remove this Banner Ad

Brief Notes on some players from the game:
SA:
Darcy Fogarty- Started strong playing off half-back and looked to throw bodies around. He ended up with 4 R50's for the first quarter. Arguably biggest bodied and strongest in this pool, counted 5 broken tackles (my maths isn't great). Saw a lot more of it this game, still not 100% but gives some people a look at what he can do. Ended up with 16 touches, best of the tournament I believe.
CCJ- A top 10 prospect at the start of the year. The big man started up forward, crashed a few packs and took some marks. 17 HO. Not sure where he stands now in rankings. Still one of the best big mans in the draft, easy.
Houlahan- Couple of moments where he showed his speed today, he's quick. He's a great mark and in particular showed that trait in the first quarter with that big mark but continued it on throughout the game (does mark it with his chest a lot). Liked his game. Will Hayward smokey????
Crowden- This was his best game of the champs without doubt and helped his draft stocks for sure. Looked to match up on Worpel early. Gets in and under, lots of handballs. As a said before very solid lad and strong. 20 touches at half time - unreal. For a solid guy he is very quick on his feet. Ollie Wines mould. Left footer and it didn't miss much today. Creative too.
Edwards- Class act and the Adelaide Crows are very lucky to secure him for the following years. A player i think could help their midfield issues! All Australian pick for me. Real genuine class. Simon Black Jnr. Loves to get onto his left, bit of dash about him too. 30 touches today.
Stefan Giro- Another solid possession game for Stefan, his ball winning abilities are top notch. Hit the scoreboard too, dangerous around the forward line. 4th quarter snap was clutch. There is just something impact wise about him, that has him for mine with question marks where he sits ranking wise. Headache.
Charlie Ballard- A breakout game for him in a sense. 11 touches at half time playing on the wing and looked good. Took a couple of very strong marks, ending up with 9 for the game. Would of like to see him kick that set shot in the 4th though.
Josh Smithson- Spent the game up forward, I didn't mind him. Was dangerous, strong hands and had a few shots on goal. Few sneaky goals in the 4th. Seems to be a good mover, promising prospect. Back half of the season will be crucial for him and for his draft chances. 3 goals in the end.
Sam Davis- Good size at 193cm and uses his frame. Seemed to spend some time on the wing so shows his running capabilities, surprisingly quick. Pushed forward in the 4th. Uses both left and right boot. Best game for him in the Champs.

Vic Country:
Cassidy Parrish- Again kicking is his biggest knock but you can't argue, he finds the ball. Lacks some polish thats all (can be fixed) 16 at halftime his best half for the tournament (possession wise). He is a looper kinda of midfielder, hard to explain his running style (bowed legs) Not a knock, just he loops around the ground. Like to see his 20m time at the combine.
Paddy Dow- 7 odd touches in the first quarter, best of the 4 (possession wise). Spent time though the midfield and a bit upforward but mainly mid. He is a good, very good midfielder but there are several boys around his mark I believe. What makes him different? Disposal efficiency and his desire for the contest.
LDU- Got tackled but never saw him go to ground, seriously strong through the hips, legs and core. 2nd quarter check side, add that to is ever growing resume. He is just super clean. Hasn't impacted a full game like a Rayner, but some of the small things he does has him on top of Rayner.
Worpel- Second quarter goal = Serious Football brain and a captains goal. Seemed to rotate through the midfield and forward line exciting to see him show traits of being able to go forward too. Won some good ball inside in that second half especially in the third, when the fight back was on. Worpel is my fav player this year.
Clavarino- Highly ranked defender coming in but rarely seen him this carnival, several defenders have now over taken him. Bit disappointed really had some hopes with him. Probably his best game today though.
Hunter Clark- Very very quite for a first rounder in the half. Moved onto the wing in the second half and found more of it. Goal early on in the third, was happy he nailed that. His goal in the 4th fluent kicking action as well, tick. Tackling has improved dramatically from him, great to see.

If I've missed any names, I can give you a quick run down on their game if you want?

PS. I said this earlier on in the tournament that Rozee could surprise and potentially be taken first next season, out of the three SA boys (Rankine and Lukosius) this game showed that. #teamrozee. Although the 4th quarter was Rankine's quarter. Mind blowing play when he soccered the ball past one, picked it up and then weave in between two players and then lace out kick just missed the target but who cares freak. Super Talent.

SA:
Darcy Fogarty- Started strong playing off half-back and looked to throw bodies around. He ended up with 4 R50's for the first quarter. Arguably biggest bodied and strongest in this pool, counted 5 broken tackles (my maths isn't great). Saw a lot more of it this game, still not 100% but gives some people a look at what he can do. Ended up with 16 touches, best of the tournament I believe.
CCJ- A top 10 prospect at the start of the year. The big man started up forward, crashed a few packs and took some marks. 17 HO. Not sure where he stands now in rankings. Still one of the best big mans in the draft, easy.
Houlahan- Couple of moments where he showed his speed today, he's quick. He's a great mark and in particular showed that trait in the first quarter with that big mark but continued it on throughout the game (does mark it with his chest a lot). Liked his game. Will Hayward smokey????
Crowden- This was his best game of the champs without doubt and helped his draft stocks for sure. Looked to match up on Worpel early. Gets in and under, lots of handballs. As a said before very solid lad and strong. 20 touches at half time - unreal. For a solid guy he is very quick on his feet. Ollie Wines mould. Left footer and it didn't miss much today. Creative too.
Edwards- Class act and the Adelaide Crows are very lucky to secure him for the following years. A player i think could help their midfield issues! All Australian pick for me. Real genuine class. Simon Black Jnr. Loves to get onto his left, bit of dash about him too. 30 touches today.
Stefan Giro- Another solid possession game for Stefan, his ball winning abilities are top notch. Hit the scoreboard too, dangerous around the forward line. 4th quarter snap was clutch. There is just something impact wise about him, that has him for mine with question marks where he sits ranking wise. Headache.
Charlie Ballard- A breakout game for him in a sense. 11 touches at half time playing on the wing and looked good. Took a couple of very strong marks, ending up with 9 for the game. Would of like to see him kick that set shot in the 4th though.
Josh Smithson- Spent the game up forward, I didn't mind him. Was dangerous, strong hands and had a few shots on goal. Few sneaky goals in the 4th. Seems to be a good mover, promising prospect. Back half of the season will be crucial for him and for his draft chances. 3 goals in the end.
Sam Davis- Good size at 193cm and uses his frame. Seemed to spend some time on the wing so shows his running capabilities, surprisingly quick. Pushed forward in the 4th. Uses both left and right boot. Best game for him in the Champs.

Vic Country:
Cassidy Parrish- Again kicking is his biggest knock but you can't argue, he finds the ball. Lacks some polish thats all (can be fixed) 16 at halftime his best half for the tournament (possession wise). He is a looper kinda of midfielder, hard to explain his running style (bowed legs) Not a knock, just he loops around the ground. Like to see his 20m time at the combine.
Paddy Dow- 7 odd touches in the first quarter, best of the 4 (possession wise). Spent time though the midfield and a bit upforward but mainly mid. He is a good, very good midfielder but there are several boys around his mark I believe. What makes him different? Disposal efficiency and his desire for the contest.
LDU- Got tackled but never saw him go to ground, seriously strong through the hips, legs and core. 2nd quarter check side, add that to is ever growing resume. He is just super clean. Hasn't impacted a full game like a Rayner, but some of the small things he does has him on top of Rayner.
Worpel- Second quarter goal = Serious Football brain and a captains goal. Seemed to rotate through the midfield and forward line exciting to see him show traits of being able to go forward too. Won some good ball inside in that second half especially in the third, when the fight back was on. Worpel is my fav player this year.
Clavarino- Highly ranked defender coming in but rarely seen him this carnival, several defenders have now over taken him. Bit disappointed really had some hopes with him. Probably his best game today though.
Hunter Clark- Very very quite for a first rounder in the half. Moved onto the wing in the second half and found more of it. Goal early on in the third, was happy he nailed that. His goal in the 4th fluent kicking action as well, tick. Tackling has improved dramatically from him, great to see.

If I've missed any names, I can give you a quick run down on their game if you want?

PS. I said this earlier on in the tournament that Rozee could surprise and potentially be taken first next season, out of the three SA boys (Rankine and Lukosius) this game showed that. #teamrozee. Although the 4th quarter was Rankine's quarter. Mind blowing play when he soccered the ball past one, picked it up and then weave in between two players and then lace out kick just missed the target but who cares freak. Super Talent.
Was Kruger injured? He was a real prospect and I was looking to see him go today.

Was Kruger injured? He was a real prospect and I was looking to see him go today.

Unsure whats happened to him? Be very interested to know.. Hope he's okay. I think everyone was looking forward to seeing him.

Harrison Petty named MVP for SA for the Champs - well deserved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Care to explain the tape on the knee then? Or how his agility isn't half of what he showed in his games for the academy early in the year.

Just because a player wears tape doesn't mean they're injured - Andy McGrath injured his shoulder in a TAC Cup preseason game last year, every game since then he has worn tape on his shoulder. He hasn't been injured for his last 40 games.... That doesn't mean he's injured does it.

Agility is just so-so, if he was injured he wouldn't be playing end of story - don't be stupid.

SA:

Vic Country:

Thoughts on Walsh for VC. Being from geelong I keep seeing in the local rag he keeps building an impressive underage CV

Thoughts on Walsh for VC. Being from geelong I keep seeing in the local rag he keeps building an impressive underage CV

Next year is super exciting with Rankine, Hill, Rozee, Williams and Lukosius. Walsh is around the mark too, huge call from myself early but he probably slots into a top 10 prospect for next season, from what I've seen and heard about him. Looking forward to seeing progress.

For a bottom ager arguably the top 5 performer of the champs for Vic Country, his game yesterday vs SA was his best probably. Named best and leading stats with I believe 24 possession.
Composure for a bottom age was fantastic, he doesn't panic. He stops and looks up (assess) at options and delivers. Seems to have reasonable tank on him, covering the ground well. Looked into a few TAC Cups and gets some pretty big numbers there too.
One to mark down with many for the 2018 "dream" draft.

Just because a player wears tape doesn't mean they're injured - Andy McGrath injured his shoulder in a TAC Cup preseason game last year, every game since then he has worn tape on his shoulder. He hasn't been injured for his last 40 games.... That doesn't mean he's injured does it.

Agility is just so-so, if he was injured he wouldn't be playing end of story - don't be stupid.
Brenton Phillips just confirmed that Darcy has a knee issue that hampered his championships and will most likely need a clean out at the end of the year.
Also said Rankine is a bigger talent than Chad Wingard having coached them both.

Brenton Phillips just confirmed that Darcy has a knee issue that hampered his championships and will most likely need a clean out at the end of the year.
Also said Rankine is a bigger talent than Chad Wingard having coached them both.

Hamish Brayshaw played the whole TAC Cup finals last year with a broken foot - needed surgery but pushed through the finals and put it off (surgery) til the combine... Fogarty still played over 80% game time yesterday, so clearly didn't hamper him at all.

Rankine going to be a special player at the next level.

Hope he's as not an ass as Wingard was in his draft year when he told GWS not to draft him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back