Autopsy Round 6, 2023 : Positives and Negatives v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a negative here, it really grates me that for years we were forced to watch this kick the ball backwards, sideways, stop, runaround in a circle, go backwards again, which was clearly a coaching plan FFS!
I really don’t give a * if it’s changed now, that was the worst football I have ever seen this club play, and I’ve been watching since the very 1st game against Richmond, way back when….
On that alone Simpo should be ****ed off, absolutely disgraceful!
You want the coach sacked for a strategy he no longer uses?

Yes, exactly the same as if a government implemented a shithouse policy for years and then at the last minute made a change, vote them the * out!
So, the game plan that actually netted us a flag was 'shithouse'? It's certainly outdated, which is why it's great to see Simmo stop being stubborn and implement an entirely new plan, of which the players actually look invested in.

How is a new, unknown coach going to solve that?

People lament the length of Nisbett's tenure and the tendency to hang onto coaches longer than we should but because of this, we've become the equal 2nd most successful club in the AFL era.

We could cycle through coaches every 2 years when stuff doesn't work if you like. We then end up losers like Essendon and Carlton.

You want that? Because that's what you seem to advocate.

So, the game plan that actually netted us a flag was 'shithouse'? It's certainly outdated, which is why it's great to see Simmo stop being stubborn and implement an entirely new plan, of which the players actually look invested in.

How is a new, unknown coach going to solve that?

People lament the length of Nisbett's tenure and the tendency to hang onto coaches longer than we should but because of this, we've become the equal 2nd most successful club in the AFL era.

We could cycle through coaches every 2 years when stuff doesn't work if you like. We then end up losers like Essendon and Carlton.

You want that? Because that's what you seem to advocate.

Take a deep breath, mate. He’s saying we were slow to change our game plan when it was obvious that our old plan was out of date. That’s a fair criticism, and doesn’t involve a suggestion that we change coaches every couple of years. Is it a sackable offence for Simmo? No, of course not (because he’s now made the change), but it’s not unreasonable to ask whether the fact that it took so long reflects on Simmo’s ability to read broader developments in game style (and whether that form of conservative thinking might extend into a unhealthy reluctance to make changes at the selection table or on game day). We all accept that nothing has gone right for us for at least 3 years (and that might be why Simmo delayed a complete revamp of our game style), but belittling the poster because he thinks someone should be held accountable for allowing us to be so late to the party is unnecessary.

Take a deep breath, mate. He’s saying we were slow to change our game plan when it was obvious that our old plan was out of date. That’s a fair criticism, and doesn’t involve a suggestion that we change coaches every couple of years. Is it a sackable offence for Simmo? No, of course not (because he’s now made the change), but it’s not unreasonable to ask whether the fact that it took so long reflects on Simmo’s ability to read broader developments in game style (and whether that form of conservative thinking might extend into a unhealthy reluctance to make changes at the selection table or on game day). We all accept that nothing has gone right for us for at least 3 years (and that might be why Simmo delayed a complete revamp of our game style), but belittling the poster because he thinks someone should be held accountable for allowing us to be so late to the party is unnecessary.
But the poster he's responding to is literally saying we should sack Simmo...

But the poster he's responding to is literally saying we should sack Simmo...

Yep. That’s how he thinks he should be held accountable. You don’t agree; nether do I. The poster is probably in a minority of one in that regard. But my point was that nobody said we should change coaches every couple of years (Simmo’s been with us a decade now), and that the core criticism (too late to the party) has some merit.

I reckon you are giving the poster too much credit. To me, that reads as an absolute dummy spit. Out of the blue, given that we have noticeably changed our style and most on here are happy with the past few weeks efforts, this bloke is calling for Simmo's head because he is still dirty on a game style that netted us a flag.
There is a fair argument Simmo was too slow to change, but it needs to be recognised that this team had been built to play that style of footy. 10 years of drafting and trading to get players to play a certain style of high marking possession footy as opposed to contested ground footy is not so easy to just pivot once the league makes an on the spot rule change (stand rule) that completely *s the style of footy we had been set up for. I think the change came too late but I can also understand why the coaching staff wanted to persist and try to tinker to make the game plan viable again with the squad we had.
If he wants to have a bitch about past indiscretions he should go to the Sack Simmo thread rather than having an unrelated tantrum in the post-game thread.

The poster's entire history is that of 'sack the coach', regardless of how we are travelling.

It's boring and predictable.

Gaffs DE % was 71%

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Im not sure how DE% works, but if you had 10 disposals but all of them were 1m handballs and 20m kicks sideways to an open player,....would that mean 100% DE?

Gaffs kicking just seems to get worse and worse when he used to be great at delivering i50.
If we were playing at MARVEL and the roof was closed he would have been a good chance to hit the roof a few times.

Biggest positive is we are not giving up and running the games out really well. Game style that can score that everyone seems to be buying into.

Biggest negative is we do so much great work in defense/middle to get the ball forward. Good run and gun play with good kicks and handballs to cause overlap and run then when we get just outside 50 its either a high bomb to get Golden Fisted by 3 defenders while crunching Darling and Allen in the back. Or it's a lace out pass to a defender standing by himself while we have 2 or 3 forwards with space in front of them to run into.
Also another bloody Qtr time huddle we didn't exit.

All up I think we are just
1x tall defender short = Gov
2x elite disposal mids/runners short = Yeo and fit shuey, geez even Ryan playing up the ground would be a bonus.
1x elite small pressure forward = Crippa/Ryan

If we had the above playing we wouldn't be only 1 win ATM.

Yes, exactly the same as if a government implemented a shithouse policy for years and then at the last minute made a change, vote them the * out!
Can you remind me what your username refers to?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not sure how DE% works, but if you had 10 disposals but all of them were 1m handballs and 20m kicks sideways to an open player,....would that mean 100% DE?

If we were playing at MARVEL and the roof was closed he would have been a good chance to hit the roof a few times.
I'm just going by AFL.COM player stats.

Screenshot_20230424_120250_Chrome.jpg

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Biggest positive is we are not giving up and running the games out really well. Game style that can score that everyone seems to be buying into.

Biggest negative is we do so much great work in defense/middle to get the ball forward. Good run and gun play with good kicks and handballs to cause overlap and run then when we get just outside 50 its either a high bomb to get Golden Fisted by 3 defenders while crunching Darling and Allen in the back. Or it's a lace out pass to a defender standing by himself while we have 2 or 3 forwards with space in front of them to run into.
Also another bloody Qtr time huddle we didn't exit.

All up I think we are just
1x tall defender short = Gov
2x elite disposal mids/runners short = Yeo and fit shuey, geez even Ryan playing up the ground would be a bonus.
1x elite small pressure forward = Crippa/Ryan

If we had the above playing we wouldn't be only 1 win ATM.
Yeah the bolded has been infuriating the past 2 weeks.
I wonder if part of it might just be a disconnect between the forwards and where they should be leading to? Some instances are probably just ordinary kicking but sometimes when the ball carrier expects the forward to run to a certain spot and the forward has different ideas, it can make the result look like just very poor delivery.

Roof height at Marvel is 35m, it should be safe from any Gaff inflicted damage.

Just a negative here, it really grates me that for years we were forced to watch this kick the ball backwards, sideways, stop, runaround in a circle, go backwards again, which was clearly a coaching plan FFS!
I really don’t give a * if it’s changed now, that was the worst football I have ever seen this club play, and I’ve been watching since the very 1st game against Richmond, way back when….

A strategy no longer used because it was ruined by rule changes and one that brought the club its last premiership. Brilliant insight.

If it wasn't for Simo your name would be PremiershipNo3

The style he implemented netted Premiership Number 4, now he is rebuilding the squad and implementing a new game style it takes time to get the pieces in place, they are drafting and transitioning. This year success shouldn't be measured by wins and losses. I watch each game and look past the outcome at the moment and am enjoying the season.

This is very much glass half empty take but the 'competitive for 3 quarters absolute roadkill for one quarter' pattern has become such a standard part of west coast's form that I'm wondering if teams are just doing enough to put the result beyond doubt and then taking the foot off the pedal for the remainder of the game? In other words we are actually as bad as that second quarter?

Against that,we are playing a far better brand of football this year when we actually do get the ball, and I'm astonished Port didn't do us by 70+ given the team we put on the park. That was a ridiculously undermanned team.

One other thing- well done to Culley for his cameo but I hope they continue to play him in the midfield. We have good forward firepower, we desperately need tough, big bodies mids who can fight through packs, keep him in the centre square. At 195cm and as tough as nails we could do worse than trial him as our #2 ruck- would give us an extra pair of tackling hands around contests and a number on the spread, and he'd beat most rucks at ground level.

Last edited:
This is very much glass half empty take but the 'competitive for 3 quarters absolute roadkill for one quarter' pattern has become such a standard part of west coast's form that I'm wondering if teams are just doing enough to put the result beyond doubt and then taking the foot off the pedal for the remainder of the game? In other words we are actually as bad as that second quarter?

Against that,we are playing a far better brand of football this year when we actually do get the ball, and I'm astonished Port didn't do us by 70+ given the team we put on the park. That was a ridiculously undermanned team.

One other thing- well done to Culley for his cameo but I hope they continue to play him in the midfield. We have good forward firepower, we desperately need tough, big bodies mids who can fight through packs, keep him in the centre square. At 195cm and as tough as nails we could do worse than trial him as our #2 ruck- would give us an extra pair of tackling hands around contests and a number on the spread, and he'd beat most rucks at ground level.
Teams don't flirt with form like that. My take is we can't go to the top level of footy at the moment as we don't have the A grade talent in the midfield. We stay with teams early but the good ones can go to that next level and blow us away (but no team can do that for 4 quarters). Melbourne did it in Q3 and it was Q2 the last few weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back