Preview Round 7, 2022 vs St Kilda in Cairns

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we want to get our season back on track we have to win this one.

Be nice to actually win a close one, so I'm tipping us by 10 points.

Winning the close games was our strength in 2021, and similarly to 2007 our final ladder position of second after the minor round probably flattered us as we managed to scrape across the line in all the close battles.

This year in both SANFL and AFL there has been 6 relatively close games we've been involved in and we've lost them all, and gave up leads in the majority of them too.

Port by 12 points because we've got a strong record against St Kilda. A couple of weeks ago I gave us no hope. After seeing the 2nd half against Carlton and the game against West Coast it looks like our forwards have remembered how to score again.

Still thinking we need 2 genuine Rucks.
Todd/Ollie/SPP as pitch hitters is going to be like watching a train wreck. Aliir if we bring in another defender?

Port by 12 points because we've got a strong record against St Kilda. A couple of weeks ago I gave us no hope. After seeing the 2nd half against Carlton and the game against West Coast it looks like our forwards have remembered how to score again.
No.

The team started scoring more because in the last three quarters we didn't play the HinkBass bomb it on Charlie's head no-leading style.

Sheesh.

If Port can play like they did the last 3 quarters they will beat St Kilda. We'll see on Saturday.
Don't think it'll be as simple as that but you definitely got a bit of that mojo back! All that remains to be seen is if it was more to do with West Coast being absolutely terrible, or you've turned a corner. I'm assuming you've turned a corner, and I hope our boys treat it that way as well. You're a dangerous side on your day and we'll have to be at our best to make sure we come away with a win. The ruck battle will be very interesting.

Don't think it'll be as simple as that but you definitely got a bit of that mojo back! All that remains to be seen is if it was more to do with West Coast being absolutely terrible, or you've turned a corner. I'm assuming you've turned a corner, and I hope our boys treat it that way as well. You're a dangerous side on your day and we'll have to be at our best to make sure we come away with a win. The ruck battle will be very interesting.
Possibly the last 3 qtrs against WC gave the boys some confidence, but in reality, they played absolutely awful in the first quarter ... All skills were out the window, and against a better side, we would have been 6 or 7 goals down at the end of that qrtr, effectively "game over!"

So, the jury is still out at this point. Can Hinkley get them up & about from the first bounce? He has failed miserably so far!

Hinkley with a tactical masterclass of chippy chippy possession football to keep it out of the Saints hands. Sadly in the slippery conditions we continually turn it over and go in with 1 goal at half time, down by 40. The players decide * that in the 2nd half and go it alone, attacking as much as possible but lose by 13. Hinkley says how good were we in the 2nd half, we worked hardery/longery and we are still a chance to make finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stopping Higgins and King will go a long way to winning. They kick a huge percentage of their score

I'm Confident of Burton on Higgins

Max King on the other hand will be interesting, without Allir truly being able to jump its gonna be a long night

More cost cutting? Or does the AFL meet travel and accomm. costs?
Don't reckon it's cost cutting. The AFL paid Qantas for a 4 day charter to take Port over to play Carlton a couple weeks back. That's not cheap. Think the AFL is all just about precautions and whatever it takes to get games on at the moment.

Hey Port fans - I hope you don't mind if I post this video below - I had a nice long chat with Anthony who runs a great Port Adelaide YouTube channel about the game on Sat night, thought maybe you'd enjoy giving it a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back