Preview Changes & Discussion for Round 7, 2023 vs St Kilda @ Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's 3 out, 2 in. I assume Williams is upgraded from sub, and that therefore we'll have a new sub to name. Or someone else to add in.
I hope it is Evans; they are crazy playing McEntee in preference to Evans; with his other skills, DBJ has become the a pressure forward.

Teakle will be primarily rucking but maybe tried down back in defence to see how he goes?
He's been playing as a key defender in the SANFL this season.
IMO playing him as a key defender during certain moments in the game against a top team in good form will give us an idea if he has the potential to become a defender.
Its a big game for Teakle to show us if he can take it to the top teams in ruck/defender role
Teakle did all right last week: it will be a fast deck and Teakle is the most mobile ruckman we have.
And Charlie should not provide a chop-out (as he must protect his knee).

This game will not be won in the air, it will be won by the fast turn overs.

I’ve made Rowan Marshall my fantasy captain

You paid any attention at all to how Saints have played all year and their selected side this week? Or you just gonna have a cry for the sake of it? It’s the perfect decision.

They have tall forwards of Cordy and Membrey and then a whole bunch of smalls. They care more about locking it in and preventing run and dash from the other team, instead of proper tall forward structure.

Their HFF line is Phillipou, Brad Hill at CHF and Jack Higgins lol.

Oh no, how will we handle the saints incredibly tall forward line of... Cordy and Membrey?

Yeah nah, if there's any week to go short it's this one.

Regardless structure wins out.

We pick another key defender and we can play our players in the way we want them to play.

Doesn’t Alir always play better given more freedom? Why do we want to have less flexibility?

Also, * the idea that Hinkley is doing this because of the matchups.

I strenuously challenge that idea

He’s never structured us based on matchups before, he’s never changed us to fit our opponents forward line.

And he has a long history to neglecting structure. When a tall goes out he does not replace them with a tall unless they’re absolutely impossible not to pick.

Hinkley did not choose not to replace Jonas because saints supposedly have a short forward line (that btw, has Cordy membrey and phillipou)

(would he have dropped Jonas and replaced him with a small?

No.

He chose not to replace Jonas because he does not value tall structure, and does not like giving games to young talls.

Look at how quickly and easily small players like Burgoyne can get picked.

Ken was never going to replace Jonas with a tall. We've had a few games now with Jonas or McKenzie out, and besides a breif appearance from Clurey, the coaches have made it pretty clear their preference is for Burton to cover as the third tall defender when that happens.

Last week we learnt he's also the cover to play as the third key forward if needed.

Regardless structure wins out.

We pick another key defender and we can play our players in the way we want them to play.

Doesn’t Alir always play better given more freedom? Why do we want to have less flexibility?

Also, * the idea that Hinkley is doing this because of the matchups.

I strenuously challenge that idea

He’s never structured us based on matchups before, he’s never changed us to fit our opponents forward line.

And he has a long history to neglecting structure. When a tall goes out he does not replace them with a tall unless they’re absolutely impossible not to pick.

Hinkley did not choose not to replace Jonas because saints supposedly have a short forward line (that btw, has Cordy membrey and phillipou)

(would he have dropped Jonas and replaced him with a small?

No.

He chose not to replace Jonas because he does not value tall structure, and does not like giving games to young talls.

Look at how quickly and easily small players like Burgoyne can get picked.
Late last year we proved that a 2 key back + Burton defence is possibly our best setup, so regardless of the fact the Saints wouldn't require us to be taller anyway, the argument about structure is flawed as it might not even be our best setup.

IMO Our side is going to lose because Williams and Burgoyne on back flanks is a weak line, Teakle in ruck will get demolished, and Lord up forward had a couple nice moments against a midfielder last week, but will get exposed this week. Theyre some decent weak links, and all are far more worrying than a backline we've proven we can win and win well with.

Late last year we proved that a 2 key back + Burton defence is possibly our best setup, so regardless of the fact the Saints wouldn't require us to be taller anyway, the argument about structure is flawed as it might not even be our best setup.

IMO Our side is going to lose because Williams and Burgoyne on back flanks is a weak line, Teakle in ruck will get demolished, and Lord up forward had a couple nice moments against a midfielder last week, but will get exposed this week. Theyre some decent weak links, and all are far more worrying than a backline we've proven we can win and win well with.
Agree. We have a few weak links, most notably in ruck. We’ve also only got two mids who are in reliably great form, Butters and Rozee.
Too many players not at their best and a style of play that doesn’t stand up to very well drilled opposition.

Unlike almost all of you, I’m actually feeling pretty positive about our chances. We should have good run and carry with this squad and I still believe that St Kilda are beatable even at their best. Predicting a 4 goal win to the boys and a relatively comfortable day at the office.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is still St Kilda we’re talking about… Wonder if they’ve been drinking their own bath water this week or otherwise start to feel the pressure of starting as favourites.

I’ve tipped the Saints by a measly margin but it wouldn’t surprise me if we get the jump on them.

Here’s to hoping the collectively score is more than 85 points.

We've got a brilliant midfield.
This is winnable if we get them 1st use of the ball.
But we picked Brynn Teakle as our ruckman, so Saints by 30.

I cannot help but feel we are one tall man short. Dixon is going to have to take a spell or two in ruck so I hope he is 100% fit.

In 2021 Ken was hell bent on playing two ruckmen and we had Lycett and Ladhams going at it. Two years on and one inexperienced ruckman and a proppy key forward come ruckman fit into Ken's new master plan.

Let's not get too carried away with the brilliance of our midfield. Last week St Kilda's mids had 186 possessions and 39 tackles between them with the lowest individual tally being 29 possessions. I think the Saints will get a lot of use of the ball so we will have to use the ball we get pretty efficiently. Does that sound like us?

Last edited:
Very interesting game tonight. We can win if our mids get on top, but concerned Dixon is going to be hobbling from the start and without Marshall we’ll need mids to hit the scoreboard.

Looking forward to seeing Mates for StKilda as was likely the guy we take if not for the JHF trade.

.... Last week St Kilda's mids had 186 possessions and 39 tackles between them with the lowest individual tally being 29 possessions ....
That's because Patrick Cripps seemed to be the only Carlton midfielder going for the ball. I'm sure we can improve on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back