Preview Round 13 Changes & Pre-Match Discussion vs Western Bulldogs at Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryan Burton:

14 disposals per game (6th best defender behind Houston, Williams, Bergman, Farrell and Bonner)
3.4 contested possessions per game (7th best defender behind Houston, Aliir, Bergman, Williams, Jones and Bonner)
4 intercepts per game (6th best defender behind Aliir, Williams, Houston, Bergman and McKenzie)
345.70 meters gained per game (5th best defender behind Houston, Farrell, Williams and Bergman)
2.7 one percenters per game (7th best defender behind Aliir, Jonas, McKenzie, Jones, Houston and Farrell)

The only thing that Burton is good at as a defender at the moment is Rebound 50s (3rd best defender behind Houston and Bergman) and Tackles (3rd best defender behind Williams and Farrell).

Our best half back is Houston, then Williams, then Bergman/Farrell. We need backs who will track back fast and plug up holes in defence. At his best Burton is in our best 22, but against the Bulldogs at Marvel isn’t the place to be playing anyone who isn’t able to give 100 percent, so if he’s got an issue with his hip it’s a good chance to rest it. It’s not like we can’t win without him.

Can't compare stats though as Burton played 2-3 games forward

Ryan Burton:

14 disposals per game (6th best defender behind Houston, Williams, Bergman, Farrell and Bonner)
3.4 contested possessions per game (7th best defender behind Houston, Aliir, Bergman, Williams, Jones and Bonner)
4 intercepts per game (6th best defender behind Aliir, Williams, Houston, Bergman and McKenzie)
345.70 meters gained per game (5th best defender behind Houston, Farrell, Williams and Bergman)
2.7 one percenters per game (7th best defender behind Aliir, Jonas, McKenzie, Jones, Houston and Farrell)

The only thing that Burton is good at as a defender at the moment is Rebound 50s (3rd best defender behind Houston and Bergman) and Tackles (3rd best defender behind Williams and Farrell).

Our best half back is Houston, then Williams, then Bergman/Farrell. We need backs who will track back fast and plug up holes in defence. At his best Burton is in our best 22, but against the Bulldogs at Marvel isn’t the place to be playing anyone who isn’t able to give 100 percent, so if he’s got an issue with his hip it’s a good chance to rest it. It’s not like we can’t win without him.
I'm confused how you are getting these stats when he has played so much up forward - is this specifically looking at the time he was in the defensive lines?

He's in our top 5 players and if he can settle back in to the role he excelled at he is miles better than Williams, Bergman and Faz, and I love all three of those players. Agree with you on the hip - but if its an injury issue I wish they would just say as much rather than putting down 'omitted'.

I agree that it’s not Burton v Sinn. Burton has started forward the last few weeks. So it’s more Burton v Jones/Bergman/Farrell. I still think Burton will displace Jones over the next few weeks.

I do feel bad for Jackson who has been better than Sinn at sanfl level who went from emergency back to the sanfl. Whereas Sinn went Emergency/Sub to full AFL game. I think Jackson earned a debut game.

That said, Sinn’s last full game was good and he clearly has talent, so it’s exciting to see what he can do. I think the AFL will suit his game more.

I agree that it’s not Burton v Sinn. Burton has started forward the last few weeks. So it’s more Burton v Jones/Bergman/Farrell. I still think Burton will displace Jones over the next few weeks.

I do feel bad for Jackson who has been better than Sinn at sanfl level who went from emergency back to the sanfl. Whereas Sinn went Emergency/Sub to full AFL game. I think Jackson earned a debut game.

That said, Sinn’s last full game was good and he clearly has talent, so it’s exciting to see what he can do. I think the AFL will suit his game more.

Wolverine concussion protocols have probably put him back a month. Play sanfl next week and the week after and then wait for a spot.

I'm confused how you are getting these stats when he has played so much up forward - is this specifically looking at the time he was in the defensive lines?

He's in our top 5 players and if he can settle back in to the role he excelled at he is miles better than Williams, Bergman and Faz, and I love all three of those players. Agree with you on the hip - but if its an injury issue I wish they would just say as much rather than putting down 'omitted'.
If he was miles better than those three players he’d still be in the side. At his best he is, but he’s not at his best. Aliiir, McKenzie, Bergman, Jones, Houston, Farrell and Williams is a decent back seven, especially if they defend as a unit.

If he was miles better than those three players he’d still be in the side. At his best he is, but he’s not at his best. Aliiir, McKenzie, Bergman, Jones, Houston, Farrell and Williams is a decent back seven, especially if they defend as a unit.
Agree with that. The question for me though is why isn't he at his best, given that he has been consistently at his best every year since we got him until 2023.

There are two main possible explanations that I'd consider realistic:
1. Its because he's been mucked around with by being thrown forward and has struggled to get back to top form. If this is the case I'd prefer to back him in down back again and let him settle back in to the role, as I suspect within a fortnight he goes past everyone (except Houston) again.
2. Its becaue of the hip and leg issues. If this is the case then resting him could be the right move, but again call him injured rather than omitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back