Preview Round 13 Changes & Pre-Match Discussion vs Western Bulldogs at Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from Cameron rd1 Burton has been average defensively.

The idea of Burton is far better than the reality of Burton this year

Well he’s been playing forward…

He’s been moved all over the field since round one.

If he’s out of form, put him in the backlines and keep him there ffs.

Burton isn’t out because he hasn’t shown his elite leg. Burton is out because he hasn’t shown the required competitiveness. He isn’t getting enough of it to offset his deficiencies. I don’t mind it. It feels like a decision continuing along instilling an edge to the squad.

So he forgot how to defend playing up forward for 4 qtrs carn
more than that and a 2 game suspension...

Just when you think Hinckley has got a grip on the game...selection fail of the year. Average Burton is better than any other versatile mid defender we have especially when playing a team with a tall forward line. Then a ridiculous statement about us not playing players who are slightly out of form lol

You don't get cute with selections because you have won a few in a row especially when playing a quality team. Big ******* boo to Burton's omission and I hope it does not come back to bite us in the arse even though it would be karma if it did.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was ok with Sinn as sub last week but starting against the Dogs at Marvel I don’t like.
Hopefully he has a good game
Hinkley has historically given players two games to prove themselves once they get a call up so I wasn't overly surprised he retained his place.

Agree it's a big call but maybe they're hoping the fast track at Marvel is suited to his game.

One thing that feels a little different is he's definitely moving the magnets a few bit this season though. I reckon we've probably played 35+ of the list this year already.

Strong Dougal Howard vibes here. Move one of our best defenders into the forward line because of injuries to others, and then when he struggles in an unfamiliar role, just drop him rather than moving him back to the role he's good at. Stupidity.

Burton isn't having his best year but he's still miles better than Lachie Jones or Josh Sinn. And Burton out leaves us way too short in defence against one of the taller forward lines in the league. And if the logic is 'beat them with rebound', Burton is a much better rebounder than Jones. Just all round baffling.

Are we pumping Sinn’s tyres a bit here? Inflating a future sale price? Or is the fast deck of marvel just a run thru for us to see where he is at?

Interesting to see who is sub.

Strong Dougal Howard vibes here. Move one of our best defenders into the forward line because of injuries to others, and then when he struggles in an unfamiliar role, just drop him rather than moving him back to the role he's good at. Stupidity.

Burton isn't having his best year but he's still miles better than Lachie Jones or Josh Sinn. And Burton out leaves us way too short in defence against one of the taller forward lines in the league. And if the logic is 'beat them with rebound', Burton is a much better rebounder than Jones. Just all round baffling.

Yeah I don’t mind not picking players out of form, and he hasn’t been in great form, even when in defence but surely he is ahead of Sinn and Jones.

I think bonner is stiff too not to be picked ahead of those two.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ryan Burton:

14 disposals per game (6th best defender behind Houston, Williams, Bergman, Farrell and Bonner)
3.4 contested possessions per game (7th best defender behind Houston, Aliir, Bergman, Williams, Jones and Bonner)
4 intercepts per game (6th best defender behind Aliir, Williams, Houston, Bergman and McKenzie)
345.70 meters gained per game (5th best defender behind Houston, Farrell, Williams and Bergman)
2.7 one percenters per game (7th best defender behind Aliir, Jonas, McKenzie, Jones, Houston and Farrell)

The only thing that Burton is good at as a defender at the moment is Rebound 50s (3rd best defender behind Houston and Bergman) and Tackles (3rd best defender behind Williams and Farrell).

Our best half back is Houston, then Williams, then Bergman/Farrell. We need backs who will track back fast and plug up holes in defence. At his best Burton is in our best 22, but against the Bulldogs at Marvel isn’t the place to be playing anyone who isn’t able to give 100 percent, so if he’s got an issue with his hip it’s a good chance to rest it. It’s not like we can’t win without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back