Review Round 13, 2023 vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

The dogs fans were really up and about just prior to that Drew smother. Beers sloshing, dentures rattling. To sit behind the goals as Butters raced away, dropping the emerging trademark bounce with a player 3 inches from his face while also accelerating away, then the hands to Drew and the arc and goal from the blonde assassin. Farking hell did I windmill. Truly a perfect moment.

Some may say it is just because we have wins but I wasn't feeling this in 20 and 21.

We have a plan b now. I have seen us change up, restructure versus different challenges.

We are rolling the dice in defence banking on good ball use and players that can open up field position. Jones, Williams, Faz , Bergman is a lot of youth and inexperience in one zone though.

I used to regularly go Robbie.....*ing Gray but I am think I am actually saying did you see that more often when Butters gets the ball . Even a couple of years ago he was part of so many score involvements but now it is centre, clearances, defensive plays, bravery, decision making.. Just Wow.

Having an impact basically almost every time he uses the ball and in key, key moments.

Horne Francis is probably only thirty or forty percent of where I think he will get to. He will dominate games. A couple of good pre seasons and some experience....

And we have them both.

And then there is Rozee..... So much class. So much space so much time...

We have some holes , ruck another key defender , dominate small forward but damn it is fun to watch.

Some things to look forward to as well. Sinn will be special. Jackson can play. Ollie Lord has things he brings to the table now and a kitbag for the future and Scully is a long way off but knows where the goals are.

And we don't want to lose. We genuinely fight.

Well done Ports.

Missed the game live.Just watched the replay. Fantastic top 8 clash.One touch footy by both sides.Electric tempo ball movement.
Just a few observations on our 10 game winning streak.With our 3 gun midfielders think where a better side than 2020+21.
Top sides need even team performances all over the ground.Dixon,Lycett,Jones,Ollie and Trav B.All stood up last night.
Great embrace late in the game on the bench.Between Peps and Ken.
2023 is providing a great ride for Port supporters.

I think Lachie Jones was a gamewinner last night - he essentially prevented at least 2 or 3 goals at crucial stages when the Dogs were having a bit of a purple patch.
Yup can't miss the importance of a few of his contest wins.

Also looked like he went to Bont for a short period of time and won the ball a couple of times.

His cleanest game and his kicking skills seem to have really improved.

We were real in 2020 and 2021, and yet…
IMO, the big difference between '20/21 and this year, is that Port have gone down the way Hawthorn went from 2008 onwards. They had their stars, but the real secret of their success was their incredibly elite field kicking by all the team, even the lesser-lights. They set the bar so high with that, and it allowed them to slice through oppo team's defenses.

Port have added "no-name" players like Williams and Farrell, and along with Houston, Burton, Bergman, and even Bonner, we have elite movement of the ball from defense through the ground. Even notorious "bomb it to Charlie" players like Wines and Jones, are now lowering their eyes with pin-point passing in to our forwards.

All this has exploded in 2023, and I strongly suspect Josh Carr's influence. Unpopular comment, but Hinkley rightly gets the credit for this. Even by just allowing his assistants to have more input ala Alistair Clarkson in the Hawthorn hay-days, where he would leave all the training to his assistants.

I dont care, just keep this up Ports, and you have my support.

ps ... I still think Hinkley will go end of this year, whether we win the premiership or not. ;)

IMO, the big difference between '20/21 and this year, is that Port have gone down the way Hawthorn went from 2008 onwards. They had their stars, but the real secret of their success was their incredibly elite field kicking by all the team, even the lesser-lights. They set the bar so high with that, and it allowed them to slice through oppo team's defenses.

Port have added "no-name" players like Williams and Farrell, and along with Houston, Burton, Bergman, and even Bonner, we have elite movement of the ball from defense through the ground. Even notorious "bomb it to Charlie" players like Wines and Jones, are now lowering their eyes with pin-point passing in to our forwards.

All this has exploded in 2023, and I strongly suspect Josh Carr's influence. Unpopular comment, but Hinkley rightly gets the credit for this. Even by just allowing his assistants to have more input ala Alistair Clarkson in the Hawthorn hay-days, where he would leave all the training to his assistants.

I dont care, just keep this up Ports, and you have my support.

ps ... I still think Hinkley will go end of this year, whether we win the premiership or not. ;)
I did a big write up about the improvements of the team and where they came from and was going to mention the 2008 Hawks and that we have just as many sweet boots and they did.

Robbie absolutely pulled the pin at the right time - but I wonder if he is looking at this thinking - I coulda been a contender. Our young stars are definitely giving energy to the old guard, Boak was moving so well and Dixon dominant in the first after a 4 game break. I think Ollie is going to have a very big second half of the season - going from grinding out his contracted years to a chance of being a premiership captain. If he can become the unstoppable bull that he was in 2021 we are going to be hard to stop

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did a big write up about the improvements of the team and where they came from and was going to mention the 2008 Hawks and that we have just as many sweet boots and they did.
Bassett definitely shaping the backline. Never have I had such confidence in the composure and skill of our back 6 or 7. Clurey, Jonas and Byrne Jones should never return - this leaves us with Williams, Farrell, Houston, Mckenzie, Burton, Lachie Jones, Allir and Bergman - driving us forward from defence with vision and precision

Robbie absolutely pulled the pin at the right time - but I wonder if he is looking at this thinking - I coulda been a contender.
I think he timed it right. Physically his body was losing some of his key attributes.

It would have been a stain on such a great career to have him on our list this season and go through the same thing we're going through with Jonas.

At least he's cheering us on, compared to sitting in the box and doing FA

To be fair, there was the occasional game after we already won it that he got excited in the box...

Oh and the SHart incident
Daddy had a shart incident? Smells like a sponsorship opportunity. Something else too, probably.

Now THAT was a worthy Friday night game.

As the commentators said early on, Are these two teams playing the same game we watched last night?

The best part of this tweet is the comments.

Dogs supporters believing an umpire had it in for them.

Crows supporters claiming an umpire barracks for Port because he robs them too.

Priceless.

Oh and footy world erupts 🤦‍♂️🤣

Smart move by the coaches to play JHF in the forward line in between his midfield stints. He’s so bloody dangerous. Can take a big mark and is slick as when the ball hits the ground. His one handed pickups are a joy to watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back