Review Round 5, 2023 vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

If you think they're a chance against Geelong at Kardinia Park your optimism is clouding your judgment.

Same goes for Richmond at the G. They're a bloody good side at that venue and I wouldn't suggest Port's record there of late is too flash.
I agree beating Geelong at shitsville is a long shot, but Richmond at the G is definitely a good possibility.

Chewy316 you can hit the dislike button all you want but it doesn't change the facts.

View attachment 1661841

Let's agree to disagree.
I still firmly believe Geelong in Geelong and Richmond at the G are going to be too difficult asks for this current Port side.
The 2007 Geelong side were 2-3 after 5 rounds just as this Geelong side will be when they thump West Coast this arvo.
Richmond is more of a toss up but at the G and with Port's record there I have no confidence in this side winning that game.
If you disagree, so be it.

After what happened when Lycett was subbed out dixon should be a perma ruck for the rest of the year. He won the crucial centre clearance last week against sydney, and after he went into the ruck with finlayson backup tim english stopped taking foward 50 marks and dixon took the intercept marks.

We absolutely would and should be playing Ladhams over spud Lycett

As much as Ladhams is vastly superior now and into the future, that had to be off-field/behavioural/cultural (the validity of which is up for debate).

Way too firesaley and counterproductive to be anything approaching a pure football decision.

After what happened when Lycett was subbed out dixon should be a perma ruck for the rest of the year. He won the crucial centre clearance last week against sydney, and after he went into the ruck with finlayson backup tim english stopped taking foward 50 marks and dixon took the intercept marks.
I reckon that after his 13 ankle surgeries they might need to be a little conservative though.

As much as Ladhams is vastly superior now and into the future, that had to be off-field/behavioural/cultural (the validity of which is up for debate).

Way too firesaley and counterproductive to be anything approaching a pure football decision.

Agree but firesales don’t generally help footy clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great win. Looked gone during that last quarter but we gutsed it out as well as some great individual brilliance.

Butters, Marshall and JHF were huge when it mattered. Houston was great. Mcentee tackled and harassed well. Rozee and Boak were good in the middle.

Thought Burton was terrible. Lycett shouldnt play again. Hes cooked.

And good on Ken for stixking up for JHF in the presser
Did you think Burton was terrible because of his defensive side of his game.
I thought he did a few good things when we had the ball.

I noticed a look of distress on Lycett's face, upon being benched.
A slow, very slow realisation is dawning upon him.
Is Hinkley actually making decisions from the bench, or is Carr doing it upstairs? That is the question.
They would no doubt be in communication. Hinkley would 100% be part of that decision.

Sad thing is at the start of the year if you said we went 3 - 2 in our first 5 most if not all would have taken that.
Just the two losses though were very poor losses....

They have a bug decision to make. Do we replace lycett with another ruck? Or is it finny and dicko again.
Lycett is cetainly done, clearly was struggling towards the end of 2021 season. We've been compensating ever since (Jonas similarly). What concerns me is the wear & tear on these players as the season progresses. Dixon's legs looked sore towards the end of the game. How long is this approach sustainable within a season? Credit to Dixon & Findlayson over the last 2 years for stepping up to play what is a very combative role.

It’s a big ask for Charlie to lead the ruck going on for 33 and with his history of leg injuries. However, and despite the flak he cops from some here, he has the the Norseman’s heart. When all others have been found wanting, it may be that we have to make a virtue out of necessity and let him lead our emerging centre square brigade

Great night. No review to offer, just a huge thank you to REH for scrounging up a last minute ticket for me after I totally missed the special ticketing emails while playing Lawrence of Arabia the last few weeks ;)

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

DBJ looks reinvigorated playing up the ground.

Set a thief to catch a thief. Years in defence have taught him what defenders don't like. His little centring kicks from near the boundary

and his gut smarts in finding space in front of oppo zones makes him mighty effective also his set shot kicking is pretty solid.

Finally Darcy's closing speed is a weapon. I've moved on from Fantaman and as for Lycett the least said the better.

As I have posted previously once you use Dixon in ruck he no longer has any influence up forward. Even Charlie cannot be in two places. We have some younger options so why not try them and leave Dixon where he is best suited? The best option is to have someone getting first hand to the ball in ruck and Charlie waiting in the forward line to capitalise on it. Not saying that will be easy but that is what we should be aiming at.

In any case Charlie is approaching 33 so he is only ever going to be short term fix. Better to look long term.

Lycett is cetainly done, clearly was struggling towards the end of 2021 season. We've been compensating ever since (Jonas similarly). What concerns me is the wear & tear on these players as the season progresses. Dixon's legs looked sore towards the end of the game. How long is this approach sustainable within a season? Credit to Dixon & Findlayson over the last 2 years for stepping up to play what is a very combative role.

Yeah, if Chocolate saw fit to throw Fabulous Delicious into the meat grinder a handful of times in service of easing the burden on AA-Lade, it might be worth using say, Hayes, as anything over and above permanent list ornament.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back