Review Round 13, 2023 vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

The reason we win all of these games when it's on the line and could go either way is really simple - we've got match winners who just separate the game when it's there to be won.

For most of the last 10 years our best players have been Gray, Boak and Wines. Gray was a match winner but Boak and Wines are more blue collar players who put in massive effort but lack the class to obliterate high quality opposition when we need it most. We've now got Butters and Rozee who just impact at key moments in the most decisive of ways, plus JHF who has less moments than the other two but has still had a big say in last quarters especially.
We have Xavier to come back in too. I see him developing as a big game performer.

I feel that there is really something special emerging with this group overall, but particularly with Rozee and Butters.

That combo on field, the tenacity in the way Zak plays, the silkyness in the way Connor plays & the maturity and coming of age both of them are showing is looking very exciting. Watching them speak to Abby as a pair straight after the match was great, full of focus and maturity, Zak spoke like a skipper. Seems to be a real bond between them too. Its the first time in a very long time, perhaps even since 04 that I've felt trust in a group, and in particular a pair. It reminds me of the giants of the early 00s and that faith you had the these players are gonna take this club somewhere.

Long may it continue.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1708527

There’s a difference between knowing the path…and walking the path.

Even a broken clock shows the correct time twice a day.

I’ll repeat what I’ve said four years ago, since nothing has changed since then: I suspect that, if we win the Grand Final, I would be watching it happily in disbelief.

I don’t trust Hinkley anymore, and I would need more than one flag to trust him again.

We have Xavier to come back in too. I see him developing as a big game performer.

If he can get a decent run at it and start to fulfill his potential (ie as one of the best wingmen in the comp) then we're starting to talk Brisbane Lions three peat levels of midfield talent.

Tonight I felt a calmness watching this game that I haven't felt in years. No abuse at the players or game plan. No abuse at the umpires..... well just a little. First time in 20 years the missus hasn't left the room during the game because of my swearing at the TV.

We have the best accumulation of talented footballers since 04 but much younger.

I'm a believer and it feels good.
I'm the opposite.

Totally uninvested the past season and a bit. Last night actually starting to care a bit nowadays.

Roaring at the tv. Calling out "well done" when it was deserved. Screaming expletives whenever we fumbled, missed a tackle, let in an easy goal. Punching the recliner rocker armrest.

I'm actually starting to "almost" believe that we can make finals. Even have an impact! Heaven forbid.

Still not convinced. Still quite a few areas to sharpen up, and we always have lapses to let the oppo back into it wy too often. And I'm still concerned about Lycett come finals time.

But it's slowly building momentum. They've lost a massive amount of my trust recently. It's gradually returning.

One overweight Bulldog fan sitting in their cheer squad did not look too happy. F***k, f***k, f***k , why the f***k didn't some one f***king tackle him? Or something like that. I guess we have all been there?
It was amazing they let him run the complete arc.

It was like the 400 at the Olympics.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oh wow!
You must get a late edition of the paper.

Not one word of the game in our edition.

Usually Friday night games give the score and a couple of pararagrphs about the game, plus a pic of the team comig off the ground. Unless it's a late finishing Perth game!

Guess the editor got sick of us winning more than the Camrys.

Even if 2023 vintage JHF was the ceiling, it'd be enough to justify the price tag. But he's just getting started.

People easily lose sight of the fact he's only 19 years old. Can anyone remember a 19 year old doing the things JHF is doing week on week? I can't. He will be the cornerstone and matchwinner rolled into one for the next decade.

The reversals are astounding-

Lycett from underperforming sanfl player to embarrassing the all Australian ruckman
Lachie Jones from ordinary sanfl player to Brownlow votes
Williams from a slow failed forward to a competitive composed and rarely beaten lockdown defender
The worst forward entry team to maybe the best inside 12 months
A team that loses the close ones to one that can’t seem to lose them
Byrne Jones from liability in defence to a real asset up forward
McEntee from McEntee to an actual AFL player- it suddenly looks like an inspired mid season draft pick
You forgot..
Hinkley from a Coke-sipping, zero-functioning, inanimate rod in the box, to a vibrant, active, player-inspiring coach down on the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back