Review Round 5, 2023 vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Has there been any camera shots of JC in the coaches box?
If not the conspiracy theory they don't want us to see someone actually doing something possibly holds up?
Strangely this coincides just as Port have won there last two games.
If we take that as a fact what happens when we have a run of losses?
Does that mean Hinkley has taken control again and thrown Carr under a Car?
We are all in the same opinion that Hinkley has to go there is no argument about that.
It’s just this forum has turned into a 24/7 whinefest. It’s like your in Waco Texas and Achy Breaky Heart is playing on loop. All day nonstop over and over again.
I don’t know about you but I joined this forum for a bit of information, entertainment and mainly fun.
Do you find any of the above on our board now?
It’s become that bad you could not log on for 3 months come back and it’s like you never left because the dribble is still flowing freely.
To be consistently negative on a internet forum can’t be good for your own wellbeing.

I’m going to enjoy that win. It was against the odds - not the rain but the umps
The one certainty is that the umps have one set of interpretations for Port and another set for whoever we play. One interesting one was when we intercepted a Bulldogs kick from the 35m from our goal to the point of the centre square, the umpire called play on for insufficient distance but when we hacked the ball forward they paid a mark to the Bulldogs standing on the 50m arc. The mark we were disallowed travelled at least 10m further than the one they paid in the same phase of play. Then there is the holding frees paid against us, which don't impede players and then the Full Nelson and Mario Milano Crucifix holds our forwards have to put up with that don't attract a whistle.

It was good to see a hard, contested win in the wet.

I was interested in seeing how our young midfield would go against one of the best and matured midfields in the comp. Sometimes I forget that Horne-Francis, Rozee and Butters have spent a year or so in the midfield full-time. Wines is a bit down at the moment and they don't have a great ruck men they can rely on. And then Drew and Boak doing some things. I thought they played really well and battled manfully and eventually overran them.

With regards to when I thought the change in the game came, it was when Drew went from Liberatore who was quiet early to Bont [I think Wines was on him early when he was killing us] who went quiet especially with the clearances. So a great defensive game from Drew. He really put the glove on him. Well done to the coaching staff to rectify that problem. I am assuming it was Carr and not Hinkley. It is getting to the point where I don't think Hinkely gets any game day choices. Who knows?

Did Bergman play Jonas's role? He seemed to show his marking prowess in the back half of the ground. He could really come on as a super utility player.

Butters was awesome the whole game. He is always manic and really helps others shine but can impress when needed.
Drew silenced whoever he was on. The best quiet game I have seen in a while. Epic game.
Rozee kept on going. Good to see him working hard no matter what.
Horne-Francis still has some way to go but does super impressive things and was awesome in the last quarter.
Good to see Boak playing well. Was he on the wing?
Duursma didn't get as much but was still running hard.
Wines was outplayed by Bont early but still worked his way into the game. I feel Butters is overtaking him especially for the hard, contested stuff. I hope Wines will bounce back to Brownlow form. Still goodish.
Boak was good. Can he make it to 400?

Powell-Pepper is just a joy to watch. Always around it.
Aliir - superb except for the Naughton goal where he didn't impact the contest. Seems to go directly to the opposition's best tall and if another tall starts up, he goes over to them.
McKenzie - pretty damn good on a taller opponent
Burton - pretty good overall but Weightman got a few on him.
Farrell - Weightman stitched him up early and Burton went onto him. Non-descript game.
Houston played well especially in the last. Would like him to be 10% harder at the contest.
Williams continues to do a job. Enjoying his no nonsense approach.

I feel if we had another coach that Dixon would at least average 1 more goal a game. Good game.
Finlayson - also good.
Marshall - had a tough game and was well defended but he is so skilful that he only needs a few touches to kick goals and set teammates up. Clutch.
McEntee - what can you say. Doing his job.
Rioli - a tad concerning. Would like him harder at the ball.
Byrne-Jones - yeah, super fun to watch him kick some goals.

Lycett - does he have the same knee injury as Jonas this week - knee managed. Tim English was super impressive. Him and Bont work well.
Mead - not bad when he came on.

Something I would like see worked on by the team - field kicking.
Well done lads. Good win.

I’m in awe of Zak Butters. In modern day footy he’s tiny, but his attack on the ball and man is crazy for his size. Best of ground two weeks in a row in tough, tight games says so much about him.

As for SPP, if everyone had his passion, drive and will to impact the contest we wouldn’t lose a game. He must be an inspiration to his team mates.

What was pleasing, was that our young and youngish players stood up when it counted late in the 3rd and in the last quarter.

Butters - was dynamic again, after last week's big game. More of the same please.
JHF - fired up and won the ball and when he had time, used it well.
Rozee - had some important patches in that period.
Durrsma - kicked an important goal but also hunted the ball like the old X.
Mead - coming on for Lycett was important to give us extra run.
McEntee - contributed with more than just tackle pressure and kicked a very good goal in the wet.

Drew - cut out the Bont's influence after half time when he had racked up 10 clearances. Helped the Bont was off for 8 minutes at a critical stage in the last quarter.
Marshall - had a shocking first 3 quarters. Yes he got hurt, but back to the old bad habits of not leading for the ball, playing from behind, and asking the kicker to kick it over his and his opponents head to run back into space. But he changed tack in the last and lead more and kicked big goals, that one from the boundary line was huge effort.

The old guard contributed as well.
Aliir - we would have been 6 goals+ down at half down, and whilst not as dominate in the second half was almost impassible in the last quarter.
Dixon and Finnlayson - did a good job against a dominate English. Once again helped he was off with the Bont for about 8 minutes in the last qtr.
Wines - did some tough in and under unrewarded work that was important.

Last edited:
Lycett is cetainly done, clearly was struggling towards the end of 2021 season. We've been compensating ever since (Jonas similarly). What concerns me is the wear & tear on these players as the season progresses. Dixon's legs looked sore towards the end of the game. How long is this approach sustainable within a season? Credit to Dixon & Findlayson over the last 2 years for stepping up to play what is a very combative role.

Wish the league would reduce the lengths of quarters. The game goes too long and is too physically demanding for 80 minutes of bash and crash. Player longevity should be a key consideration for the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

titanic kate winslet GIF

Lycett is a quality person and doing the best he possibly can.
I am sure he is, but he is absolutely spudding it up at the moment and should not be playing i our AFL team. I hope he can regain some form because he has been a good player over time. I think it should be recognised that he played bugger all football last year. But s**t his form is shizen at the moment.

In any case Charlie is approaching 33 so he is only ever going to be short term fix. Better to look long term.

V the Bullies at the end he was getting up like a crinkle cut chip. Hello Ollie Lord, RnR for Charlie is now long overdue. Blood the future, Ollie Lord's a big tick.

Changing up FF with rucking duties is a big ask but let's give Ollie a go

Tredders has sparked something. Perhaps succession plan already happening? Ken bring the mentor in the dugout (excellent father figure type) and Carr doing the tactical stuff?
Whatever it is, I’m liking the last couple weeks. DBJ up front, Never surrender attitude, belief building in the team, Ken being passionate for once

Tredders has sparked something. Perhaps succession plan already happening? Ken bring the mentor in the dugout (excellent father figure type) and Carr doing the tactical stuff?
Whatever it is, I’m liking the last couple weeks. DBJ up front, Never surrender attitude, belief building in the team, Ken being passionate for once
Yeah, I think this is the case.

When you start to instigate some good changes that work, dropping players, moving players, etc, the players themselves begin to believe that the right decisions are made and their attitude changes.

Spare a moment for those supporters wishing for a loss for our club.

Look on the bright side, there is always next week.
You're right there is next week for the next 2 years of the same s**t as the last ten otherwise.

Ken on the bench is a natural move. He’s a player motivator, so being at the same level as the players would help with his natural attribute. With the double bonus the tactical coaches are in the box having more impact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back