Review Round 13, 2023 vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

What a great game to watch, with the five areas of significant improvement this year compared to previous years on full display.

First, we can stand up under more pressure than in the past. The Bulldogs came hard early in the last, before we absorbed it and counterpunched. I don’t think that happens any other year under Hinkley, even when we finished top in 2020.

Second, we are more courageous and take on more risks. I love how we are prepared to use the corridor, to open the game up and provide a much more direct route goal. There was a play when Marshall kicked around his body into the centre square, which was very risky but it led directly to a score.

Of course to execute such a strategy you need the players to pull it off, so the third area of improvement is skill. We all know what a great kick Houston is but with Farrell in the team, and now Williams (a real revelation), as well as Bergman and Burton, we have a surfeit of players with excellent kicking skills coming out of the backlines.

Fourth is star power. Rozee really broke out last year, and Butters had some really strong patches in previous seasons, but watching Butters go to the next level has been unbelievable.

Everyone has highlighted the passage that started with the Drew smother, and JHF goal, but there were so many others where he showed an outrageous combination of skill, tenacity and foresight.

To win a premiership you must have at least two top 10 players in the comp in their respective positions, and probably another two in the top-20, with plenty of depth. I feel like we have that now, even though I don’t think this will be our year.

Finally, there is emotion. We can argue till the cows come home about the relative contributions of Hinkley and Carr. But the move to the bench has liberated Hinkley somewhat to use his best qualities, motivation and mentoring.

Rozee in his post-match interview said that it much more enjoyable to come to the club each day this year because Hinkley is less wound up. We shouldn’t be surprised that is rubbing off on the players.

All three of them can defend well and are excellent one on one.
Bergman and Lachie Jones are both really versatile and can play big and small.
Both have excellent closing speed.
And while Dylan is not as versatile, he is no slouch either and can start scoring involvements with his sweet boot from down back with ease.

I wonder if Farrell makes it to the wing and Jase Burgoyne takes the little guys.

Everyone has highlighted the passage that started with the Drew smother, and JHF goal, but there were so many others where he showed an outrageous combination of skill, tenacity and foresight.
Williams spoil.
Lachie Jones with the easy crumb to Butters.
Butters somehow finds an open Byrne-Jones
Byrne-Jones at half-back handpasses to Wines in the corridor.
Wines in stride hits an open Powell-Pepper.
Powell-Pepper gives it straight back to Wines.
Wines has a few steps and kicks precisely into the F50 to a leading Marshall.
Marshall is ttoo good and both Doggy defenders are on the grass.
Finlayson runs on and Marshall hits him up.
Finlayson kicks the goal.

I would say champagne football but more like fine wines football.

Also, does Hamish McLachlan have a soft spot for us. He actually said a few insightful things that would mean he really watches us.
He seems to give Farrell a couple of compliments with his kicking.
He also was the only commentator that in the moment noticed that Drew smothered and ran on to receive to set up the match winning goal.

Edit

Last edited:

All three of them can defend well and are excellent one on one.
Bergman and Lachie Jones are both really versatile and can play big and small.
Both have excellent closing speed.
And while Dylan is not as versatile, he is no slouch either and can start scoring involvements with his sweet boot from down back with ease.

I wonder if Farrell makes it to the wing and Jase Burgoyne takes the little guys.
Williams is also a tough footballer’s footballer. Quite different from someone like Bonner. He does the right thing defensively and doesn’t lose contests unless it’s through a lack of speed, which he mostly compensates for with anticipation and smarts. Love him. Absolutely love him.

Williams is also a tough footballer’s footballer. Quite different from someone like Bonner. He does the right thing defensively and doesn’t lose contests unless it’s through a lack of speed, which he mostly compensates for with anticipation and smarts. Love him. Absolutely love him.
I don't reckon he's actually that slow, I mean he's obviously not a speedster however I think his running style plays a trick on the eye.

Dane Swan had that running like a slow duck look as well but was constantly finding space.

Did notice this a couple a times especially against the Bulldogs, he's quite good at anticipating opposition movements, doesn't get sucked in and 'break his ankles'.

When a guy is not super quick but seems to have time and space, it is usually a natural instinctual type of football brain that can't be taught.

Williams has it and Butters has it in spades as well.

Byrne-Jones at half-back handpasses to Wines in the corridor.
Wines in stride hits an open Powell-Pepper.
Powell-Pepper gives it straight back to Wines.
Wines has a few steps and kicks precisely into the F50 to a leading Marshall.
Marshall is ttoo good and both Doggy defenders are on the grass.
Finlayson runs on and Marshall hits him up.
Finlayson kicks the goal.

I would say champagne football but more like fine wines football.

Also, does Hamish McLachlan have a soft spot for us. He actually said a few insightful things that would mean he really watches us.
He seems to give Farrell a couple of compliments with his kicking.
He also was the only commentator that in the moment noticed that Drew smothered and ran on to receive to set up the match winning goal.
Yes, when everyone was getting understandably excited about Butters he pointed out that it all started with Drew. We are a good team to watch at the moment, which commentators appreciate given a lot of the other dross served up!

If Lynette is unable to ruck a full game what ard the thoughts of Oliver Lord as a back up and forward pinch hitter.
well done Lochie Jones , Inwas not a fan and he did not fumble or put on a meaningless tackle.
well done LaCie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I loved Butters giving it back to Libba with the Bon Scott crazy eye at the first bounce. Loved the flying the flag for McEntee from Rioli, Butters and JHF. Loved the low key high five between Rioli and JHF just after. Loved that we didn't ever lose focus on the footy in play. There's a swagger developing and more than one tough little prick emerging. Real maggies style.

Special mention should go to Williams also - his best game for us. Needs to be signed to a contract as he is an unrestricted free agent.

Was talking to someone close to the Williams family last Friday
There are lots of clubs inquiring about his availability
And apparently the lure of home is there

Need to sign him up ASAP

It looked more like a master patting his dog. “That’ll do Miles, that’ll do. Good boy”.
bab_cromwell_pig2.jpg

Yes, when everyone was getting understandably excited about Butters he pointed out that it all started with Drew. We are a good team to watch at the moment, which commentators appreciate given a lot of the other dross served up!
Another Williams had it as well...brownlow medallist Greg Williams...must run in the name!

Im hoping Williams will sign once the availability of dollars is known once Bergman (reasonable possibility to leave) and Georgiades (gone) decisions are confirmed.

Was talking to someone close to the Williams family last Friday
There are lots of clubs inquiring about his availability
And apparently the lure of home is there

Need to sign him up ASAP
I think he's been brilliant but if there's anything we have a plethora of at the moment in undersized half backs. If it was a decent trade on the table we'd be mad not to consider it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back