Review Round 5, 2023 vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Can I also say, that wasn't the worst commentary I've had the displeasure of hearing either. Thanks to both Hamish and Richo for not letting the JHF booing slide.

BT the w***er would be like 'DA PEOPLE HAVE PAID THEIR MONEY, RICHO!'

Doggies looking fairly relaxed at ADL this morning. All apart from Luke B, whom looks confused. Going through airport security with them all lol.

Edit: proof that the Vic clubs don’t travel much, their bloody staff having to be reminded to get their effing laptops out ;)

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Ken on the bench is a natural move. He’s a player motivator, so being at the same level as the players would help with his natural attribute. With the double bonus the tactical coaches are in the box having more impact.

Imagine if he deigned to do it in the '21 Prelim, when we needed it most.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Angry Ken is better than humble Ken.
Absolutely it is, but the last time I remember an angry Ken was, ironically, after we'd played the Bulldogs in either Alice or Darwin and lost, it was around 2014, 2015.

Can I also say, that wasn't the worst commentary I've had the displeasure of hearing either. Thanks to both Hamish and Richo for not letting the JHF booing slide.

BT the w***er would be like 'DA PEOPLE HAVE PAID THEIR MONEY, RICHO!'
I was irritated by Richo calling Williams "McEntee" for half the game!

Anyone can see Farrell is not a natural defender, & he should be played off a wing or half forward to utilise his strengths.
Gets way too many goals kicked on him. Small forwards will be lining up to pay on him

plus not sure what’s happened to his kicking, it’s been woeful for a few weeks.

Gets way too many goals kicked on him. Small forwards will be lining up to pay on him

plus not sure what’s happened to his kicking, it’s been woeful for a few weeks.

His Kicking Effeciency is at 79.4% (2% up from last year).

So he's kicking about.. the same. He is getting more kicks however.

I do agree though that he's better suited to a wing / high half forward role. He looks the best when he's kicking inside 50. I think he' wasted playing in defense

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone can see Farrell is not a natural defender, & he should be played off a wing or half forward to utilise his strengths.

His problem is he has zero aerial presence

Neither intercept marking nor being able to contest marks.
I’ve haven’t really noticed farrells ground level defending, it’s probably fine. He’s no worse or better tackler than most on our team really.

In reality, nearly every team in the league runs players like Farrell in their back 6. Anyone think daicos has been near an opponent since he was drafted? Dogs always hide their midget when he’s back there.

Their coach’s are capable of picking and coaching a back 6 to work around 1 players limitations…

Ours, not so much.

I’ve always said I’m a fan of defenders being strong all-rounders so you’re not relying on others to take up the slack.

Guys like burton Houston and Bergman are strong all rounders without obvious weaknesses that can be exploited.

As jase burgs gets stronger I hope he can join that list, while I don’t think of him as a strong overhead presence, he’s at least more influential than Farrell in that regard.

Anyone noticed that while Dixon was rucking, he dropped back into the defence to take an intercept mark?

That has happened against us with oppo rucks throughout recent years, it was nice to see it happen for us once. If only Lycett could pull that off.

Anyone noticed that while Dixon was rucking, he dropped back into the defence to take an intercept mark?

That has happened against us with oppo rucks throughout recent years, it was nice to see it happen for us once. If only Lycett could pull that off.
Haven't had one since Broges. (Ryder to a far lesser extent. Hoff not really a ruckman.)

His problem is he has zero aerial presence

Neither intercept marking nor being able to contest marks.
I’ve haven’t really noticed farrells ground level defending, it’s probably fine. He’s no worse or better tackler than most on our team really.

In reality, nearly every team in the league runs players like Farrell in their back 6. Anyone think daicos has been near an opponent since he was drafted? Dogs always hide their midget when he’s back there.

Their coach’s are capable of picking and coaching a back 6 to work around 1 players limitations…

Ours, not so much.

I’ve always said I’m a fan of defenders being strong all-rounders so you’re not relying on others to take up the slack.

Guys like burton Houston and Bergman are strong all rounders without obvious weaknesses that can be exploited.

As jase burgs gets stronger I hope he can join that list, while I don’t think of him as a strong overhead presence, he’s at least more influential than Farrell in that regard.
Jase can take a hanger.

I have written in the games against St Kilda, Melbourne, Richmond (away), Carlton (away), Collingwood and Geelong (away) as certain losses. That takes them to 8 losses on the season. 11 and you miss the finals. Still on the fixture are games against the Crows, Geelong at home, Richmond at home, Dogs away, Freo in Perth and Essendon twice.
Curious whether you think we might be at least a 1% chance of beating Richmond now?

Curious whether you think we might be at least a 1% chance of beating Richmond now?

Funny you should say this. Was literally just doing an updated prediction on my phone. When you consider that they've just beaten the team who were top of the ladder entering this round on the road, the optimist can suggest that they theoretically could win every game the rest of the year. Let's look at the rest of their schedule:

Essendon - legit 50/50 game. Essendon were woeful today but were also coming off a 5 day break compared to Geelong coming off an 8 day break.
@ North Melbourne - Win. Even in Tasmania there's absolutely no excuse to not give this mob a thumping.
Melbourne - Loss.
@ Richmond - I would lean 75/25 win at this point, if not a bit higher.
Hawthorn - Win, though we all saw what happened in this fixture last year.
@ Bulldogs - 50/50, would lean loss given it is at Marvel.
Geelong - Loss.
@ Essendon - 50/50, would lean loss given it is at Marvel.
Gold Coast - Win.
@ Carlton - 40/60 Carlton's way.
Collingwood - Loss.
Away Showdown - 50/50.
@ Geelong - Loss.
GWS - Win.
@ Fremantle - 50/50 at best, haven't played Freo in Perth well in many years.
Richmond - Win.

5 penciled in wins and 4 penciled in losses based on the above takes the record to 10-6 with a further 8 games up in the air. Need to win 3 of those disputed games in order to have a chance to make finals. Not going to get into the top 8 with a 12-11 record when you also take into account their low percentage.

I'm happy to admit though that they're exceeding my expectations - in large part because they've made so many systematic changes since Tredrea went bang with his "untenable" comments. The changes and corresponding results give me significant optimism that this might actually be different. At the same time, this season is giving many (including myself) 2018 vibes, where they missed the finals from 11-4. I think the big test will be from the Bulldogs game at Marvel through the Geelong game at Kardinia Park. If they split those 8 games 4-4, I think they'll make finals.

If they miss finals, Ken will be gone. If they make finals, I have legitimately no idea what the Board would do. I suspect they'll have to win at least 1 final to see Ken be extended. A one and done finals series culminating in an extension for Ken would be nothing short of disaster.

Funny you should say this. Was literally just doing an updated prediction on my phone. When you consider that they've just beaten the team who were top of the ladder entering this round on the road, the optimist can suggest that they theoretically could win every game the rest of the year. Let's look at the rest of their schedule:

Essendon - legit 50/50 game. Essendon were woeful today but were also coming off a 5 day break compared to Geelong coming off an 8 day break.
@ North Melbourne - Win. Even in Tasmania there's absolutely no excuse to not give this mob a thumping.
Melbourne - Loss.
Geelong - Loss.
Gold Coast - Win.
Collingwood - Loss.
Away Showdown - 50/50.
@ Geelong - Loss.
GWS - Win.
Richmond - Win.

5 penciled in wins and 4 penciled in losses based on the above takes the record to 10-6 with a further 8 games up in the air. Need to win 3 of those disputed games in order to have a chance to make finals. Not going to get into the top 8 with a 12-11 record when you also take into account their low percentage.

I'm happy to admit though that they're exceeding my expectations - in large part because they've made so many systematic changes since Tredrea went bang with his "untenable" comments. The changes and corresponding results give me significant optimism that this might actually be different. At the same time, this season is giving many (including myself) 2018 vibes, where they missed the finals from 11-4. I think the big test will be from the Bulldogs game at Marvel through the Geelong game at Kardinia Park. If they split those 8 games 4-4, I think they'll make finals.

If they miss finals, Ken will be gone. If they make finals, I have legitimately no idea what the Board would do. I suspect they'll have to win at least 1 final to see Ken be extended. A one and done finals series culminating in an extension for Ken would be nothing short of disaster.

We have won the last 7 in a row at Marvel, so not so sure that we struggle to play well there.

We have won the last 7 in a row at Marvel, so not so sure that we struggle to play well there.

Wasn't implying they struggle to play there. More referring to it being an away game I lean the odds in the oppo's favour because of the venue.

They only played at Marvel once in 2022 against Essendon who had checked out for the year. The rest of this streak was during Melbourne's lockdowns when there were no crowds. Wouldn't use that as a good guide to suggest they're strong at the venue.

Melbourne - Loss.
Geelong - Loss.
Gold Coast - Win.
Collingwood - Loss.
Away Showdown - 50/50.
@ Geelong - Loss.
GWS - Win.
Richmond - Win.

Nothing less than a GF would see me thinking extending his contract
If Hinkley can get this group to a GF a decent coach we might even win it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back