Preview Round 7, 2023: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide - Marvel Stadium, Friday 28th April, 7:50PM AEST *WOOD 100TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 59 90.8%
  • Power

Votes: 6 9.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are two different players where two seperate decisions were made.

Thankfully, we won so it doesn't really matter. But if we hadn't one, questions would rightfully be asked about bringing Steele back quicker than usual for a collarbone given how un-Steele like he looked.
good point about us winning meaning all questions are forgotten. Winning papers over many cracks.

jesus christ we've barely lost a game sitting on top of the ladder and some muppets in here are still trying to play devils advocate around team selection.

Jones is a long way off AFL footy. He wasn't banging down the door before the injury, he definitely aint now. His best is very good, but it's wayyy to few and far between. Ive no doubt RTB prefers consistent performers.

Billings could come good under RTB, but again, not banging down the door just yet, and the Pou is doing plenty well for a 6 game player. He's an aerial threat and one of our highest pressure players (per the points). Also, I'd be very surprised if old billings got a gig under RTB, his 'one big effort contest before going to ground' style will not cut it. Needs to learn how to keep his feet.

On the positive side, Billings' kicking will excel in this team as he will have long open targets to hit unlike before. Would be nice to see him back his leg in like he did during his early career.

Webster however could force his way back in at the expense of Paton or Windhager.

Coffield will have to wait for his chance.

Byrnes is far from a fringe player. In fact he's the personification of Ross's system. Dropping Byrnes would be akin to dropping the gameplan. Not to mention he's a gun and will only get better.

wasnt gonna post anything but trying to wind down tonight by reading the pre game thread really wound me up!

People really think Billings playing decent footy in a crap team 4 years ago is relevant to him getting selected in a must win game on Friday night is kidding themselves.
And don't give me, "oh but he was good in 2021 before injuries.." getting 30 soft, vanilla disposals that barely impacted the game is not enough to displace anyone, especially not one of the most gifted players we have drafted in years in Philipou!

jesus christ we've barely lost a game sitting on top of the ladder and some muppets in here are still trying to play devils advocate around team selection.

Jones is a long way off AFL footy. He wasn't banging down the door before the injury, he definitely aint now. His best is very good, but it's wayyy to few and far between. Ive no doubt RTB prefers consistent performers.

Billings could come good under RTB, but again, not banging down the door just yet, and the Pou is doing plenty well for a 6 game player. He's an aerial threat and one of our highest pressure players (per the points). Also, I'd be very surprised if old billings got a gig under RTB, his 'one big effort contest before going to ground' style will not cut it. Needs to learn how to keep his feet.

On the positive side, Billings' kicking will excel in this team as he will have long open targets to hit unlike before. Would be nice to see him back his leg in like he during his early career.

Webster however could force his way back in at the expense of Paton or Windhager.

Coffield will have to wait for his chance.

Byrnes is far from a fringe player. In fact he's the personification of Ross's system. Dropping Byrnes would be akin to dropping the gameplan. Not to mention he's a gun and will only get better.

wasnt gonna post anything but trying to wind down tonight by reading the pre game thread really wound me up!
Just embrace the conversation :D the forum is rocking with life, thats what we are here for.

Can't just make the oppo board melt every week with shenanigans, besides port don't need any help in that department from the look of their board.

I dont think Billings comes in this week since he only played 3 quarters at Sandy.

But once he gets enough minutes into him, he should come back in because he is a better player than the Byrnes/Phillipou/Windhager's types right now.
Philippou and Windy are playing well for kids.

Billings will play at least at what they're doing in an average game. and far above what they're contributing in a good game.

Owens a bit different, right now he's performing at the level of a senior player

If he came in for Byrnes, you'd have Hill play primarily wing with JB playing forward with smaller stints on the wing.

If JB was to replace anyone over the next few weeks, I think it's more likely to be Pou.

He played mainly forward, small time on the wing in the pre season match sim.
Windy could also be replaced though he's more a pure mid role than the half forward mid role that Pou plays

Byrnes trajectory is looking really good, it wasn't that long ago that he and Connolley were our best young prospects (excluding Max).

Now because we have potential elites like Owens, Pou and NAS, he's not as exciting.

Byrnes numbers stack up pretty well when compared to guys like Leigh Montagna and Jack Steven at the same age.

Byrnes trajectory is looking really good, it wasn't that long ago that he and Connolley were our best young prospects (excluding Max).

Now because we have potential elites like Owens, Pou and NAS, he's not as exciting.

Byrnes numbers stack up pretty well when compared to guys like Leigh Montagna and Jack Steven at the same age.
Been super impressed with him this season, hoping this form can continue.

I have always liked Billings and always hoped he would come good.
Can't see why he wouldn't improve like everyone else under Ross.
In saying that he shouldn't just walk in. Drop who? Everyone playing well. Only thing that may sway it is Ross won't be happy with -30 contested possessions in the first half.
Still a settled winning team. Earn your spot.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm looking forward to see how Billings goes under Ross. As has been discussed before, some of these players haven't played under a decent coach their whole afl careers. Hope he gets a shot and shines. He's a good user of the ball, we can't have too many of them in the side.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last thing we need is an older forward turned winger who is regularly injured and never proved himself playing in average teams.

Oh wait, is this Wood or Billings who is actually still only 27 with years left of his career?

So many of you criticized Billings and went on about "oh he'd be fine as the cream on top of a good team". Well here's the chance people.

The last thing we need is an older forward turned winger who is regularly injured and never proved himself playing in average teams.

Oh wait, is this Wood or Billings who is actually still only 27 with years left of his career?

So many of you criticized Billings and went on about "oh he'd be fine as the cream on top of a good team". Well here's the chance people.
Agree that Billings probably needs another week (or two) in the 2s. But I'm confident he will make our team better.

Think vying with Stocker/Battle. Tough task.
Nasiah he’s competing with. That’s more achievable to displace. Battle is playing a defensive role on big forwards which coffield cannot. Nas is playing a rebounding role with some to minimal defensive accountability. Coffield fits that

If the team keeps winning and the 22 keep doing what Lyon asks, there won't be many changes. However we will get injuries unfortunately and individual and team form will fluctuate. Guys will get a chance. They're just going to have to earn it.

Very few automatic inclusions in this team any more. Billings will need to bide his time and perform, same as Coffield and Jones.

Honestly baffles me that some are petitioning for guys that are in their first few years to be rested after 6 games lmao.

Did we just gloss over the point I made the other day that Ross gives the group 2 days off after each game, something most of the league doesn't do, and the fact that he preserves players like Ro who plays one of the more physical roles.

I mean honestly, talk about getting ahead of ourselves. Put the best and fittest side on the park each week and handle the challenges as they come. It's borderline arrogance to suggest we can just rest players who are playing well. Yep we'll just roll over the top of Port and whoever else we come up against no worries. 6 games and we're the best side on the planet. Crazy hahaha
To add to this, go look at the TOG% throughout the year and then compare it to Sunday afternoon.

Butler 70%
Clark 77%
Crouch 76%
Paton 75%
Philppou 68%
Ross 69%
Steele 75%

We eased the mids through the game given we have to back it up in 5 days.

Lets put this silly assumption that we aren't managing players to bed.

have done jackshit for 18 months or more

The flaw in that argument is that most of our players were likewise underperforming. I mean just compare Hill pre RTB+3 to the RTB+3 model!
Even the higher performing ones like Wilkie are also looking even better now (teamwork certainly helps).

I have no reason to doubt that some of those who are out injured will likewise be better players under RTB+3, if they can actually get fit enough to play again.

ie Jones I would have severe doubts about. And Dmac sadly too as he screams the type of player that would excel under RTB.

Now one thing is also clear, just as it was under RTB V1.0, under RTB+3 a player has to be dedicated, have a huge workrate and must play team football and his role about all else.

The layer added to that recipe is that our current gameplan has as a key ingredient in that our running capacity has to be the best in the AFL, and our opposition. It is our "competitive" advantage. So some players may stay in as they help make a for a better (running) cake, even if individually they may look like a better player.

Now Max might be the exception in running capacity. Cordy currently is, though Max will be an offensive key forward, whereas Cordy is being played as a defensive key forward. RTB+3 are not playing Cordy as a traditional offensive key forward as he simply is not good enough to be a winner as one, and opposition key backs and interceptors would just have a field day. So instead Cordy is being used to provide more opportunities for our small and medium forwards. He spoils more than tries to mark, and also seeks to drag key defenders away.

So yes Max would push Cordy out, and also see aspects of the gameplan change.

If Hayes was available that would be interesting too, but I would suspect he would be used offensively and would likewise push Cordy out.

Billings is currently a mystery as we simply do not know how RTB+3 might try and use him. Billings does have talent though, and he was always been a very hard worker on the field. I would tend to be believe that RTB+3 will make him better too. But is that enough for him to displace someone?

With Max back the forward line may gets some tweaks. Cordy lack of marking presence has led to the Poo and Owens going for marks along with Membrey/Caminiti.

When Caminiti serves his suspension, one would think that he would come back in. But if so, with Membrey back who will RTB+3 leave out? And then when Max does arrive back, do we play play all of Max, Caminit and Membrey and then either one less small or medium forward?

RTB has also made it very clear that he has been brought in to to play the long game. So as much as he keeps saying that they are just taking each game as it comes, he is very clearly looking to make us a better and better team over time.

Whereas RTB V1.0 was brought in with the very clear mission statement to win a flag and win it now. It was not about long-term, and so hence they brought in players like Gardiner and King to try and address immediate list shortcomings before too many of our then cream players got past their best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back