Autopsy Round 7: Changes v Gold Coast - Garland, Michie, Stretch, Oliver in

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea, thats last weeks report yea? Go back and have a look at what ANB did the weeks previous compared to Michie.

Perhaps you could try looking past your own prejudices, Mitchie has been the more solid contributor. When the coach says "our most consistent player over 3 weeks", then hard to argue that that doesn't in fact mean "our most consistent player over 3 weeks".

Round 3:

Viv Michie: Viv was solid on Saturday night. He’s probably been our most consistent player over the past three weeks. We’re playing him in different roles at the moment, but his output is very pleasing. He ended up having 28 possessions and went inside 50 seven times. He’s giving us a lot of mid-forward connection. There was some stuff with his ball movement, where we would’ve liked him to be a little bit cleaner. His effort around his role and his intensity around the game was really solid. He’s been in really good form in the past three weeks.

Round 2:

Viv Michie: Viv was another really solid contributor. He had 32 possessions, 10 of which were contested and eight clearances. His work in and around the football and his stoppage craft was really solid and his ability to be able to use his hands and bring other players into the game through his strong stoppage work was a highlight. He also went inside 50 eight times so he’s doing some really solid work around the ball and he is also getting on the outside and using the ball as well. Viv has played two really solid games over the last two weeks.

Alex Neal-Bullen: Alex continues to play that inside-mid role. Around the footy, he had 21 possessions, 10 of which were contested and the highlight for me was that he had 11 tackles. When Alex keeps the game really simple and he wins the ball and he goes for the ball and he makes the tackle and he uses his hands and brings other people into the game, that’s when he is generally playing his best football. There are some really encouraging signs for him; he’s still only a second-year player so there’s a lot of areas in his game that he needs to continue to work on but his last three weeks have been really solid.

Round 1:

Viv Michie: I thought Viv was another one of our better players on the night. He played midfield and spent some time at half-back. He won 23 possessions and went inside 50 six times. He finished with two goals and his contest work was a highlight. His ability to use his hands around the contest and bring other players into the game was a real highlight.

Alex Neal-Bullen: He’s been pretty solid the past two weeks. Alex has had 30-plus touches for the past two matches. His work around the ball and his tackling was really strong. We were really, really happy with Alex. He’s put two solid weeks in at VFL level.

Perhaps you could try looking past your own prejudices, Mitchie has been the more solid contributor. When the coach says "our most consistent player over 3 weeks", then hard to argue that that doesn't in fact mean "our most consistent player over 3 weeks".

Round 3:

Viv Michie: Viv was solid on Saturday night. He’s probably been our most consistent player over the past three weeks. We’re playing him in different roles at the moment, but his output is very pleasing. He ended up having 28 possessions and went inside 50 seven times. He’s giving us a lot of mid-forward connection. There was some stuff with his ball movement, where we would’ve liked him to be a little bit cleaner. His effort around his role and his intensity around the game was really solid. He’s been in really good form in the past three weeks.

Round 2:

Viv Michie: Viv was another really solid contributor. He had 32 possessions, 10 of which were contested and eight clearances. His work in and around the football and his stoppage craft was really solid and his ability to be able to use his hands and bring other players into the game through his strong stoppage work was a highlight. He also went inside 50 eight times so he’s doing some really solid work around the ball and he is also getting on the outside and using the ball as well. Viv has played two really solid games over the last two weeks.

Alex Neal-Bullen: Alex continues to play that inside-mid role. Around the footy, he had 21 possessions, 10 of which were contested and the highlight for me was that he had 11 tackles. When Alex keeps the game really simple and he wins the ball and he goes for the ball and he makes the tackle and he uses his hands and brings other people into the game, that’s when he is generally playing his best football. There are some really encouraging signs for him; he’s still only a second-year player so there’s a lot of areas in his game that he needs to continue to work on but his last three weeks have been really solid.

Round 1:

Viv Michie: I thought Viv was another one of our better players on the night. He played midfield and spent some time at half-back. He won 23 possessions and went inside 50 six times. He finished with two goals and his contest work was a highlight. His ability to use his hands around the contest and bring other players into the game was a real highlight.

Alex Neal-Bullen: He’s been pretty solid the past two weeks. Alex has had 30-plus touches for the past two matches. His work around the ball and his tackling was really strong. We were really, really happy with Alex. He’s put two solid weeks in at VFL level.

One's on the senior list, one is on the rookie list, Michie has been that much better than ANB to get promoted and jump straight into the side ahead of a kid with serious talent, really? Im not going to bother arguing the point, you can have your opinion and ill have mine, IMO there is not a hope in hell that Viv Michie will ever amount to more than ANB. Ive seen two years of Michie and he is limited as *.

Come on Bing, you and i both know Michie has no future!

haha..

Prove me wrong Vivian, PROVE ME WRONG..

(Neville Jetta once proved me wrong coming off the rookie list, as did Pedo after his first disastrous season with us, i love them both now, Viv can be my next all time best friend if he can do a Jetta, not holding my breath though)

Last edited:

One's on the senior list, one is on the rookie list, Michie has been that much better than ANB to get promoted and jump straight into the side ahead of a kid with serious talent, really? Im not going to bother arguing the point, you can have your opinion and ill have mine, IMO there is not a hope in hell that Viv Michie will ever amount to more than ANB. Ive seen two years of Michie and he is limited as ****.

Come on Bing, you and i both know Michie has no future!

haha..

Prove me wrong Vivian, PROVE ME WRONG..

(Neville Jetta once proved me wrong coming off the rookie list, as did Pedo after his first disastrous season with us, i love them both now, Viv can be my next all time best friend if he can do a Jetta, not holding my breath though)

Viv is a pretty decent 6th midfielder, and not a bad clearance player
But we have Oliver, Viney, Jones and Tyson already who are limited inside midfielders + Kennedy, Bugg, Salem, AVB, ANB, Grimes and Trenners who are on par or above him and can play dual roles and ANB has already shown he can go forward and snag some sausages
Im also extremely sceptical Viv can play a role outside the middle but as per any melbourne player (except sam blease ) who is given a chance ill keep an eye on him and see how he goes

It's pretty clear they want Viv to play Salem's role because he's been doing that in the VFL - you couldn't have ANB playing that role, or Stretch.

Exactly, much less about who has the most upside, and more about who is best suited to fill the vacancy. In general terms, I'd much prefer ANB to come in over Viv, but if Viv has been playing that role at Casey, and been playing as well as it seems, it's a no brainer.

From a match up point of view, I'm less worried looking at Gold Coast's team.

We'd be far too tall in the forward line if we kept Frost, they've got Harbrow, Saad, Malceski and Lemmens in their backline, so they're going to be real quick bringing it out, but they're also going to be struggling big time to contain Hogan, Watts and Pedo, and probably Petracca for that matter.

Down back, Lynch is a big concern, but he's going to be a big concern regardless of whether Dunn is there or not, the bloke is a genuine gun. Wright is tall, but still young, no doubt there is a plan for both of them.

He's been playing that role at casey? He's played more inside mid this year than HBF. He's played about 4 roles this season, inside mid for probably the most part

He played the majority of last week at HB, but claiming it's been his role at casey is a myth. Even the coaches reviews point this out

I wonder, if Michie gets a stack of it at HB, given he doesnt have Salems laser left, what the selectors will prefer when Salem is fit (given Salem's lowish numbers).

Higher volume or higher quality off half back...

I doubt missing one senior game is going to ruin ANB's career. Michie is last chance saloon, guess we'll see if he's finally caught up to AFL level or not over the weekend. If he plays well great for the list, if not he'll be shown the door.

It will be a very different Viv to the one ive seen across half back this week, the one im familiar with is an inside player with average pace and ball use, cant remember him being that good over head either.

I cant wait to see this new and improved Michie.

I doubt missing one senior game is going to ruin ANB's career. Michie is last chance saloon, guess we'll see if he's finally caught up to AFL level or not over the weekend. If he plays well great for the list, if not he'll be shown the door.

Roos seems to like giving people we've written off as spuds one last chance to prove themselves, especially if they've had good form at Casey. Worked for Jetta a couple of years ago, didn't work (spectacularly) for Jordie McKenzie last year. The only one I reckon Roosy has completely written off is Terlo.

He's been playing that role at casey? He's played more inside mid this year than HBF. He's played about 4 roles this season, inside mid for probably the most part

He played the majority of last week at HB, but claiming it's been his role at casey is a myth. Even the coaches reviews point this out
Ah right you are, i only ever half read those things. Well, I guess playing some time there is better than playing no time there.

Roos seems to like giving people we've written off as spuds one last chance to prove themselves, especially if they've had good form at Casey. Worked for Jetta a couple of years ago, didn't work (spectacularly) for Jordie McKenzie last year. The only one I reckon Roosy has completely written off is Terlo.
I think everyone raised an eyebrow when they extended Terlich's contract. Perhaps I could understand a 1 year renewal for depth but he hasn't played a senior game since he was resigned. I think the club would've loved to have delisted Terlich at the end of last season instead of Michie. (I know at least Roos would've :))

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure one game as a sub is either opportunity or spectacular.

I think everyone raised an eyebrow when they extended Terlich's contract. Perhaps I could understand a 1 year renewal for depth but he hasn't played a senior game since he was resigned. I think the club would've loved to have delisted Terlich at the end of last season instead of Michie. (I know at least Roos would've :))

Perhaps Roos sent Mahoney a memo that Terlich should resign, Mahoney mistook it as re-sign?! ;)

I know they play different roles but he's been killing it at Casey compared to Stretch.(and Michie for that matter)

Surely you gotta reward the kid, i mean Hunt, Wagner, Stretch and now Michie have played this season before him, ridiculous.

Roos and Plapp both reckon Viv has been the most consistent. Had an absolute blinder on Sunday off the HBF. Clearly those that matter think differently to your assessment.

Roos and Plapp both reckon Viv has been the most consistent. Had an absolute blinder on Sunday off the HBF. Clearly those that matter think differently to your assessment.
Always hate this argument. Coaches, like anybody, can make mistakes, them being "those that matter" don't make their opinion of a player any more correct than a fan, it just means that they can actually do something about their opinion, doesn't make it more right or wrong. It's a lazy way to support an argument.

Clearly those that matter think differently to your assessment.

Well of course they do, doesnt mean they are right though. ;) Im also well in front of the MFC on the right and wrong ledger JFYI.

Anyway, enough Michie talk, actions will do the talking.

Ah right you are, i only ever half read those things. Well, I guess playing some time there is better than playing no time there.
He played almost the entire game against Essendon on the HBF. Went into the middle in the last 15 minutes. The week before against Willy he played HBF for 2 and a half qtrs before being switched into the middle. Against Collingwood he rotated of the HBF. Against Frankston he rotated of the HFF.
At Essendon he looked like the plan was for him to provide attack of the HBF hence the highest I50 on the ground as well as a goal. He looks to have adapted well to the role. Helps if you go to the games at Casey.

He played almost the entire game against Essendon on the HBF. Went into the middle in the last 15 minutes. The week before against Willy he played HBF for 2 and a half qtrs before being switched into the middle. Against Collingwood he rotated of the HBF. Against Frankston he rotated of the HFF.
At Essendon he looked like the plan was for him to provide attack of the HBF hence the highest I50 on the ground as well as a goal. He looks to have adapted well to the role. Helps if you go to the games at Casey.

How long does the drive from Dubai to Casey take you?

Always hate this argument. Coaches, like anybody, can make mistakes, them being "those that matter" don't make their opinion of a player any more correct than a fan, it just means that they can actually do something about their opinion, doesn't make it more right or wrong. It's a lazy way to support an argument.

Yep we are all fallible but the "ones that matter" know what instructions and expectations they have for an individual, we don't. They also "usually" have their agates on the line, we don't (and neither does Roos). I read the player reports and listen to what they say but agree that they don't always get it right at selection. In this instance I think they are right. We all have favorites and whipping boys and we allow our personal perception of players impact our judgement. I for one (and probably the only one) think Brayshaw is over rated on here. Poor delivery in particular. I don't rate tackling prowess because I would rather a player have the pill than an opponent in a death grip. But if he is selected I do not get on here and rubbish him. Same with JKH who grabbed the imagination in a NAB cup game and really did SFA after. Some of the comments on here regarding Viv suggest he pinched the commentator's lolly bag. But I get that its a personal opinion.

Yep we are all fallible but the "ones that matter" know what instructions and expectations they have for an individual, we don't. They also "usually" have their agates on the line, we don't (and neither does Roos). I read the player reports and listen to what they say but agree that they don't always get it right at selection. In this instance I think they are right. We all have favorites and whipping boys and we allow our personal perception of players impact our judgement. I for one (and probably the only one) think Brayshaw is over rated on here. Poor delivery in particular. I don't rate tackling prowess because I would rather a player have the pill than an opponent in a death grip. But if he is selected I do not get on here and rubbish him. Same with JKH who grabbed the imagination in a NAB cup game and really did SFA after. Some of the comments on here regarding Viv suggest he pinched the commentator's lolly bag. But I get that its a personal opinion.
Youre not in the cheer squad by any chance are you...
I was one of the blokes who started the "viv michie appreciation page" on fb, can't say i have a vendetta against him. I just would rather others getting a game...

Again, none of that makes them more "right". People will complain about selection, getting on here and shooting them down for it is just pointless.

I go to every casey game that doesn't clash with me playing, my partner also works for them. Don't be a condescending twat.

Coaches are the correct people to make the call. But us fans are allowed to have opinions, especially coming out of the Neeld era when it seems coaches weren't making the correct call. Anyway i don't mind the Viv and hope he goes well saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back