silk

Premium Platinum
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Two Friday night wins in a row… Double Rainbow!

wSIutjC1BhlIqi8LQHxWtpcOkxgNoLc2vx0OD7dZ_aEmknLZr8DGJmHYB1lm0QiLQ_ExnyVaSrWpJjG7UD3Dt9unTLfgLeJxOlxLstDOCk13Tp5HEETn2OAIVtTVLPhRqk_z30EVqwkKrQIWSjwSY3I

On paper Essendon had a tough early fixture (With the exception of round 1) - We’ve played good sides, and have played interstate every second week so far; a trend which will continue in round 8 with a trip to Perth. Not many of expected to be 4-2 at this stage with a good chance of going 6-2 if we can beat the Pies this week.

Anzac Day is always one highlight of the season. It’s an absolute privilege to play on this day each year and I appreciate the opportunities this has given me to introduce my children to what Anzac Day is all about. I really appreciate the more sombre pre-game ceremonies, and believe this is a perfect contrast to the upcoming game. We respect those who fought so that we can play.
TfCks-B-H1UpgPd-BWZf7iHZfbSRevSDWSw6cARUbVnc_EXncSfswGqKhLz4T6Ss--XtU3R96RCG4Sk3hcynXJPND3L174Nrsn-YkCJKnQ7I5pOmKoa11C-3XAxx0QaYWgUUc8I-_H8qPrz6UahmrOo

The Round That Was

For a while there I was dreading the feeling of Deja Vu - Another game where we lost despite more i50s and more behinds. This used to be such a common occurrence, that I used to genuinely feel we weren’t too far away and that if we just fixed up our goal-kicking and disposal going forward we’d be a good side… How naive I was.

Thankfully luck prevailed, and we won! Caldwell is a gun.

I have no ill feelings towards the Crows, and they are definitely the preferred SA club imo, but Walker is a tool, so to watch him in particular sook at that loss after; especially after desperately playing for that high free kick.

H_EUIuX33BwyYzMuovixR0svF2KH5VBcMJ_eRbNSonET2FkacdzNN_uLl3GCd0djC3jgIihCZ7lrBcqSazMH_XFsWyXxJxO7T8XrFfL4Jmu9QIUrEyyZCqfvgJwlInYjKBREEA-lM6BGrhqmj-6MoZc

ADELAIDE 2.2 5.4 9.5 11.9 (75)
ESSENDON 2.4 5.9 8.14 10.18 (78)

GOALS
Adelaide: Dawson 2, Keays 2, Walker, Jones, Fogarty, Soligo, Rachele, McHenry, Rankine
Essendon: Jones 2, Langford 2, Gresham, Parish, Hobbs, Stringer, Merrett, Martin 1 HUGE GOAL!

BEST
Adelaide: Dawson, Soligo, Hinge, O'Brien, Rachele
Essendon: Merrett, Martin, Caldwell, Hobbs, Gresham (How did they misd Mckay in this list!)

INJURIES
Adelaide: None
Essendon: None

SUBSTITUTES
Adelaide: Lachlan Sholl (replaced Sam Berry in the third quarter)
Essendon: Elijah Tsatas (replaced Nick Hind in the fourth quarter)

As for Collingwood; well they reminded everyone why they were the premiers despite their slow start with a comfortable win over Port Adelaide in which they overcame a slow start to run rampart in the 2nd and 3rd term. Nice of them to find their form again just before our game with them, jerks.

COLLINGWOOD 3.4 9.9 14.15 17.21 (123)
PORT ADELAIDE 6.3 8.3 10.4 12.9 (81)

GOALS
Collingwood: Lipinski 4, Mihocek 3, Hoskin-Elliott 2, Schulz 2, Cox 2, McInnes, McCreery, Elliott, Hill
Port Adelaide: Georgiades 3, Powell-Pepper 2, Marshall 2, Mead, Horne-Francis, Butters, Burton, Bergman

BEST
Collingwood: Hoskin-Elliott, De Goey, Cameron, N. Daicos, Lipinski, Mitchell, Hill
Port Adelaide: Butters, Horne-Francis, Houston, Georgiades

INJURIES
Collingwood: None
Port Adelaide: Horne-Francis (hamstring)

SUBSTITUTES
Collingwood: Reef McInnes (replaced Scott Pendlebury in the fourth quarter)
Port Adelaide: Jed McEntee (replaced Jordon Sweet in the third quarter)

The Last Time We Met

It was a shit show. The game was over by quarter with Collingwood kicking 8 goals to our big fat zero. Zach worked his arse off, but had little support. Collingwood went on to win the Grand Final.. We went on holiday.
_vS-3tvgJDk7mWPRuOdO-HGYdPe84OTsntLWggdIuR2pEl9eqduMYclPKG8Dco3xwfOkGVMVw3OOk211E6d2Y9aDEq4bQkPqacdZtYTnUJR-ej2Byl6aJfIfwT9AKkEGEtnvBfSvps2t35r-YRS77UU

ESSENDON 0.2 2.4 2.10 3.13 (31)
COLLINGWOOD 8.1 12.2 14.3 16.5 (101)

GOALS
Essendon: Weideman 2, Langford
Collingwood: Ginnivan 3, Mihocek 3, Elliott 2, Cameron, Daicos, De Goey, Hill, Lipinski, McStay, Mitchell, Pendlebury

BEST
Essendon: Merrett, Redman, Parish, Laverde
Collingwood: De Goey, Ginnivan, J.Daicos, Mitchell, Mihocek, Crisp

INJURIES
Essendon: Kaine Baldwin (concussion)
Collingwood: Jamie Elliott (corked quad)

SUBSTITUTES
Essendon: Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (replaced Kaine Baldwin in the first quarter)
Collingwood: Fin Macrae (replaced Jamie Elliott at half-time)

The Selection Table

Possible Outs

Draper -
Hind -
Tsatas - Starting 22 or VFL - Don’t want him sub two games in a row
Heppel - Rest - Make him the Sub
Lav - Was fine but I’d like to see Lewis Hayes in the team - He's the future and the now!

Possible Ins
Wright
Hayes - Go Go Gadget!
Roberts - Down a bit this week in the VFL, but still would still be a good debut
Shiel - Maybe as the sub - was at least ok in the VFL this week

My Prediction

Still scarred and scared - Pies by 20.

Last edited:

I'd like to see Draper dropped as punishment for his undisciplined acts against the Crows but it wont happen so next best thing could be to try something unconventional and make him SUB. I know its different but it just might work.

OUT: Hind, Tsatas
IN: 2MP, Shiel

Team;-

Kelly McKay Lav
Martin Redman McGrath
Cox Caldwell Duursma
Gresham Stringer Parish
2MP Langford ADavey

Goldy Durham Merrett

Bench: Hobbs Shiel Heppell Jones
SUB: Draper

If Shiel not ready then I wouldn't be opposed to debuting Roberts if he plays well in the VFL

Last edited:
Good that Goldy will play an Anzac day. McKay too.

Don't think there will be many changes if any. Hind might be in trouble but could easily be sub again. Just didn't take his chances enough.

Draper should be dropped but can't see the club having the balls. If Hayes has a good game then he must replace Lav, surely.

Good that Goldy will play an Anzac day. McKay too.

Don't think there will be many changes if any. Hind might be in trouble but could easily be sub again. Just didn't take his chances enough.

Draper should be dropped but can't see the club having the balls. If Hayes has a good game then he must replace Lav, surely.
Yeah, Laverde had an absolute mare. Debuting on Anzac Day might suck, but it might be the best option.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Laverde, draper and hind all just holding on but we are 4 -2 so don't see many changes.

Wright for draper is only one I would consider as all 3 dont work.

Think it might depend on weather and collingwood team looks like after this weeks game.

I'd swap hind and tsatas. Hind sub and potentially leavaseverithing else as is if no injuries.

Over the coming weeks Think goldy (Wright or byran) heppel (shiel), laverde (hayes) all need a rest and potentially davey (davey/roberts) a crack but at least we have some options.

Cox and Jones and the current midfield mix have been good the last two weeks so think they have earnt another couplatof weeks at least.

Wright straight back in. Need to get him in there with Jones.
Perk not far away.
Getting some depth back into the squad will be nice so we can actually put Hind into the vfl.
Draper won’t be dropped but I think he should. So I think he spends a lot more time on the bench
We’re always a chance Anzac Day. Can’t wait - gonna get way to drunk then front up for work Friday 🤙

Run until the bye (start favourites in bold):

Collingwood
West Coast away
GWS at home
North Melbourne
Richmond

Gold Coast away
Carlton

The Adelaide win was big in the context of our season given we only have 3 interstate games left (two before the bye and Brisbane in Brisbane round 24). With a tough stretch of games after the bye, this is probably the most important game. Beat Collingwood and we come out of a difficult start to the year 5-2. We then start favourites in 3 out of the next 4 matches before a couple of 50-50s vs Carlton and Gold Coast.

Great time to have Wright back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s no way Davey is getting dropped. The forward pressure has made us a better team defending transition

Agree to disagree on that front. Arguably his pressure acts came because he was out of position and forced to impact the play. His last quarter chase was immense but his precious 3/4 were quite poor.

He had 13 pressure acts. Wasn't many with less then that.

Don't think he is up to AFL (yet) and not sure playing him is good for us and the team.

Agree to disagree on that front. Arguably his pressure acts came because he was out of position and forced to impact the play. His last quarter chase was immense but his precious 3/4 were quite poor.

Don't think he is up to AFL (yet) and not sure playing him is good for us and the team.
Who plays his position or role without him?

At the ground it was quite noticeable how quick he closed down some players. Lots of quick shitty kicks from Crows players with him coming in hot.

If you’re taking him out who are you putting in that role? If you aren’t filling that role then you can’t make a change

Wright straight back in. Need to get him in there with Jones.
Perk not far away.
Getting some depth back into the squad will be nice so we can actually put Hind into the vfl.
Draper won’t be dropped but I think he should. So I think he spends a lot more time on the bench
We’re always a chance Anzac Day. Can’t wait - gonna get way to drunk then front up for work Friday 🤙
Mate, have an all night bender then ring in sick Friday with hamstring awareness!

I'd be content with wright for draper as the only change. how do we eventually fit Setterfield, Perkins & Shiel?
Seeing as heppell is spending time on the wing he’d be one who is vulnerable. I guess it’s just those who don’t perform in the next couple of weeks. Good to have some genuine selection pressure for spots.

Out: Draper, Hind
In: Wright, Shiel

McGrath McKay Kelly
Redman Laverde Martin
Duursma Merrett Heppell
Stringer Jones Gresham
Langford Wright Davey
Goldstein Durham Caldwell
Cox Hobbs Parish Tsatas
Shiel

Give Tsatas exposure and a full run on the big stage. Shiel could be back, see how he plays today. Guelfi would have to be considered if fully fit.

Mate, have an all night bender then ring in sick Friday with hamstring awareness!
I’m a dad. Can’t do an all night bender without it ruining the next 6 weeks of my life lol 66 beers and pass out on the couch sounds alright o me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back