Preview Round 7: Essendon vs Collingwood, MCG, Anzac Day, 25/04/24 @ 3:20 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

He's been OK (better than his 2023 form at least), but not clear to me who else we're dropping from the back 7 to make way for Reid and Ridley. Laverde is the easy out, but after that, it is probably Hepp or Kelly, and Hepp's form has simply been better over the first 6 games.
It should be ridley for heppel. Heppel dies seem to pick up some opp mids around stoppages in d50 at times.

Or Martin rolls up to a wing again.

We'll be going tall.

You'd have to work a 4 man rotation between Goldy, Draper, Jones and Wright with one on the bench the entire time. Either that or play Jones on the wing and Cox in defence.

We'll be going tall.

You'd have to work a 4 man rotation between Goldy, Draper, Jones and Wright with one on the bench the entire time. Either that or play Jones on the wing and Cox in defence.

This seems the likely move if they go tall. Maybe dump Lav and move Kelly/Cox back and Jones to more of a wing HF role

Definitely interesting and a good problem to have. You’d expect if it doesn’t work then Goldy is out.

Agree with Scott that having more tall options is a good thing.. the more selection pressure, the better the overall outcomes. However cannot see the logic in declaring Draper "will play".

I understand you need to back players but Draper has done nothing all year.. in fact he has been downright poor for three of those games and should have cost us the game against Crows three times (50m pen, bad goal kick and the 'dive'). Also the antics after the game were in poor taste. You look at consistently good teams (Gee/Syd etc) and they seem to find a way to have a no 'dheads' policy.
We know from multiple multiple attempts that if we go too tall.. we lose too much run/defensive pressure. This is because you have to factor that Stringer is slower (and/or decides 'when' to go), Hepp is slow, Parish isn't quick, Laverde is slow, Kelly has no pace.. so it isn't just the talls.. we have a generally 'slow' list in AFL standards.. and the weather is likely to be fickle.

It would be wrong to drop Goldy for this game when I am sure it is a big reason why he decided to spend his twilight year/s with us and he has performed above all expectations thus far.

I'd send Draper back to the VFL and make him earn his spot.. make him actually appreciate the gift of an AFL career and hone his craft.

I also hope that Shiel doesn't get rushed back in.. VFL watchers are convinced he has done nothing to warrant selection and I think it sends a clear signal to keep backing youth. I'd only make 1 change, Wright in for Draper.. and I'd put Hind back as Sub and give Tsats the start.

Best answer is minimize the time both Goldstein and Draper are on the ground at the same time. Draper's bullocking approach and Goldstein's more classical as in the first three quarters pf the Sydney game is of Merrett. Should be Durhamable and could send those pies Well Cold.

We'll be going tall.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the sub come in a bit sooner, and the worst performing big guy get subbed out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope this is the week we see Hayes come in for Lav. He's been in better form for a number of weeks now.
Can’t see Brad dropping lav. The backline has played together for a while now since Reid and Ridley got inj. He won’t bring in a kid and change the dynamic. Laverde hasn’t been horrible and did a decent job.

Can’t see Brad dropping lav. The backline has played together for a while now since Reid and Ridley got inj. He won’t bring in a kid and change the dynamic. Laverde hasn’t been horrible and did a decent job.
I was thinking the same. If Reid is 1 to 2 weeks away he might stick with Lav up until then.

Yeah, not for Anzac day.

Can't see them bringing in Shiel either.

Might just be Wright in Hind sub for Tsatas.

I was thinking the same. If Reid is 1 to 2 weeks away he might stick with Lav up until then.

We've got a long break after Thursday, but have WCE in Perth.

Debuting Hayes against West Coast if they're not doing it this week seems like a reasonable plan. Following that is GWS, North, Richmond, Carlton, Gold Coast then the bye.

I assume Reid will need to be in full training for a couple of weeks before they consider him for AFL selection, so could be a good block of games for Hayes.

We've got a long break after Thursday, but have WCE in Perth.

Debuting Hayes against West Coast if they're not doing it this week seems like a reasonable plan. Following that is GWS, North, Richmond, Carlton, Gold Coast then the bye.

I assume Reid will need to be in full training for a couple of weeks before they consider him for AFL selection, so could be a good block of games for Hayes.
I hope they do debut Hayes against WC. I’m just not convinced they will but as hard as it is to believe I have been wrong before.

I don't think Scott has created public pressure on him before though. He's just turning the screw to make sure Draper prepares mentally. Let's see how he responds. It's ANZAC Day, but it's still a 4 point game.

He hasn't done that now though, has he?

Simply have to drop Draper to the 2's.

The talks of moving Jones to the wing would be a complete inhibitor to his momentum. You might as well just drop Harry at that point.

When it comes to form and who deserves to play, Draper deserves it the least. So to have any selection integrity, he simply must be dropped to make way for Wright.

But will the club do it though? Doubt it has the balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back