Review Round 9, 2020 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Three talls working again after the GWS headscratcher. Dixon being smothered allowed Westhoff loose early and then MG after they had to try tighten up on the Hoff. No getting in each others way either! Finally Ken seems to be believing in it. Westhoff needs to remain while Marshall is out at least

I did feel like Rockliffs little handballs do get us into space, you just don't want him having to go back over the mark and try and kick.

Ebert, Dixon, SPP seemed quiet.

Amon, Boak and Ollie all top notch

Ladhams was shoved in the back so many times for no whistle yet seemed to be pinged at every opportunity.

Xavier really need to work on his set shots. Dunno what he was doing with that shot in the first.

Mayes has been a great addition so far and full credit to Leinart for showing why he was ahead of Watts in the pecking order. Also showing why Bonner should be depth only.

Sometimes I’m just so happy when I’m wrong and I was wrong and I’m f****ng ecstatic!

I said that if Lycett didn’t play, we’d get a hiding from Melbourne and even though young Ladhams was soundly beaten, he was more competitive and his team-mates were hard, committed and ruthless plus their skills were very good.

Well done Port Adelaide!

Melbourne were poor tonight but calling it bruise free is bs. Ask Robbie if it was. I saw lots of ferocious straight line running especially from Hartlett, DBJ, Boak, Wines, SPP, Butters. Numerous times Melbourne sent the ball into attack, our defenders made sure they smashed the contest. We made it hard for them with our attack on the ball. Welcome change from last week.

Garner and Woodcock just shown doing sprints after the game. So they were the travelling emergencies
Garner not best 34, to best 26, to best 24.

I felt for Ladhams, has to ruck against Max Gawn. Then he must have had half of Melbourne's frees paid against him.

Good no frills win against a poor opponent. Good to keep the percentage ticking on.

Melbourne were utter s**t but we also put them under a lot of pressure. Our perceived pressure was as good as it was in the first month. Melbourne went in too tall up forward and we just lapped it up across half back. All of Houston, Hartlett and DBJ were very good in the end, Jonas was exceptional again and Lienert played as well as could have hoped. Our midfield turned up to play and learned from the mistakes of last week. They were more aggressive, hunted the ball more and were quick going forward.

MG! What a gun. What a performance. Not as good as his old man. Not sure many know put his old man kicked 8 on debut. Mitch's marking was a highlight and would have loved him to slot 5.

Amon was a star. Rozee got back into some form and Westy justified his selection in the first half.

Now to back it up on Monday

PLAYER REVIEWS
Dixon - May beat him one on one but liked how Charlie was able to get the ball front and centre quite a few times. Not his day but still was able to play a part.

Clurey - Didnt have a whole lot to do. Made a couple of mistakes but overall was good defensively

Ladhams - Had a shocking first quarter but got better. Smashed in hitouts but thought he was better than last week. Did ok.

Ebert - Had a couple of moments but overall was very quiet, just couldn't get involved consistently

Jonas - Great positioning, great defensively, solid with the ball. Very good captains game.

Lienert - Had a couple of crappy moments with the ball but liked what he brought to the team defensively.

Gray - He's looking old and slow at the moment but he still showed a lot of class on occasion. That notable attack at the ball in the last was great. Still clever in traffic.

Farrell - Not a lot of the ball but liked his game. Was a few cm away from kicking 2 and having a real good day.

Rozee - Better. Better positioning up forward, two classy goals and like Kane was a cm away from having a third. Good confidence booster

DBJ - Good pushing higher up the ground through the midfield and was strong as ever across half back. Probably top 5 on the ground

Butters - Just in everything which was great to see. Seemed like every time he got it we ended up scoring.

Duursma - Just a consistent performance, got quite a few telling touches and seemed to find a lot of space on the wing.

Houston - Thought he was poor early but his second half was outstanding. Solid as a rock

Hartlett - Down last week, back up this week. Very good. Barely lost a contest across half back.

Westhoff - Needed a big start and he got it. Didn't do a lot after half time but happy he had a big first half

SPP - Loved his game tonight. Spread well, was finding a lot of space through the midfield and I thought he was as good with the ball as he's ever been. Probably his best game for the year

Georgiades - Needed to stand up with Marshall out and he did. Some great marks, nice kicking and just wanted to be involved. He's going to be some player

Wines - His game was all about effort. He wanted the ball. Melbourne didnt. Was the catalyst inside. Very good

Amon - Seemed to be everywhere in the first half. Was at the fall of a lot of contests, then was delivering inside 50, then was dropping back in defence. Great game.

Mayes - After a bit of a downer last week, was good to see him recover and have a very good performance tonight. Very good across half back and the wing. He plays like that every week he'll be a long term player for us

Boak - Star. BOG. Works so hard, glad he got a goal in the end.

Rockliff - Got a lot of junktime stats but was good defensively through the midfield and did what he had to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought the umpiring was poor again tonight but went our way until they tried to level out the count late in junk time.

Hard to gauge tonight, Gawn aside, Melbourne offered little. Wonder if Watts can bring him over like SGray with Scooter.

Highlight tonight Mitch, followed by Kenny talking in post match about playing 3 talks 😂

Club need to get some detailed explanation from the umpiring department about how Ladhams is being umpired in the ruck contests. He appears to be fair game to be wrestled, shoved in the back, thrown out of the contest, headlocked, but the second he initiates the slightest contact (or not) it's a free kick.
Needs to be sorted out before his confidence is completely destroyed.

Good win in a danger game.

melb dominated hit outs and clearances but our workrate and ball use cut them up and they were lazy and horrendous by foot

Boak - Star 3 votes 8 clearances was huge

Amon - super good. He’s not even just an “outside” player anymore he won contested ball as well as anyone today.

Jonas - super good. Has been in super great form.

Dbj - great. Pure port player

Hartlett - very good. Creates unbelievable forward momentum. Looks like the millennium falcon hitting light speed cause he just keeps hitting contests at speed

mayes - very good game. Seamlessly fitted in. Has become part of the drive off halfback that were so good at

Houston - gun. Again so much drive.

wines - strong game. 25d 4 clr and a goal.

Georgiades- brilliant. Freak athlete but reads the ball in flight so well and such body control. That great mark he took on the replay you can see his head was down, barely had eyes on it but somehow knew exactly where the ball was.

Rocky - hard to rate. Looked to be in a slow jog and infuriated me then you see he had 28 pressure acts and 21d. That refusal to give the ball back to faz which was clearly a set play by faz and then to chip the ball to no one made me ******* livid. Senior player shouldnt * that up.

gray - did his bit

butters - had some super great contested efforts, including multiple efforts in the same passage. Even if he doesn’t win it I’m positive his opponent rarely gets a clean touch

Duursma- good hard running

Powell - pepper - good moments, had a few good clearances much better to see him get in the centre instead of ebert. * me that kick to no one in f50 was dumb as * though

ladhams - monstered in ruck but did enough. While Gawn got 40d It didn’t seem like they were influential taps or to advantage

lienert - meh. Wasn’t bad but wasn’t great either.

westhoff - had a strong start but * me that tap that he did because he slipped / lost his footing a little annoyed the * out of me.

Farrell - pretty decent without starring. Was dangerous. Should have had another goal but rocky ignored the handoff when faz was wide open just outside 50.

Ebert - I didn’t even realise ebert was playing

clurey - did what he had to do which wasn’t much tonight

Dixon - was the target of Melbourne tonight to their detriment. They planned to shut him out of it by going the tried and tested have 3 players jump on him because umps won’t pay frees for him method. It didn’t serve them because our ball use was too good and we had too many dangerous players forward.

rozee - dangerous when he got his hands on it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back