Preview Round 9, 2023 : Hawks v Demons, 4.35pm Sat 13th May

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like it that Seamus and Josh (Weddle) have retained their places in the side
Definitely.

The whole two years with Seamus' injuries, and (possibly understandable) calls here and elsewhere for him to be cut, I always wanted to see what he could actually do first. The wraps on him as a youngster, skills and pace-wise, were high, but no-one really had a chance to see it...

Injury-free, he is showing that he IS a player.

(Not criticising those who wanted him cut...it's nice now with such a young list that we CAN hold on a bit longer with development...I hold the same thoughts on DGB)

Last edited:
I have faith there is an elite player in scrim. But it’s time he realises that to get there he has to work harder. Good luck to him 👍
Yep. Scrim has to learn how to defend or increase his run. At present he’s neither really a 3rd tall (he can do the intercept part but not the defensive part as required) nor a hbf/rebounder (he’s moves okay but miles off being a hard running Birchall type).

No one’s doubt his talent, but at 24, he should be a core member of our team, not closer to the edges of best 22.

So named teams on Thursday now mean nothing

But the AFL clarified the situation this week with clubs told they can operate with a mentality that any player from its list of four emergencies can be included in the starting 22 without explanation required and that the players who are late withdrawals can also all play at state league level.

Definitely.

The whole two years with Seamus' injuries, and (possibly understandable) calls here and elsewhere for him to be cut, I always wanted to see what he could actually do first. The wraps on him as a youngster, skills and pace-wise, were high, but no-one really had a chance to see it...

Injury-free, he is showing that he IS a player.

(Not criticising those who wanted him cut...it's nice now with such a young list that we CAN hold on a bit longer with development...I hold the same thoughts on DGB)
Absolutely great these two keep their spots. I also hope Morris can get back to what he showed last year, because we then have a new group of hard and quick defenders.......although Weddle probably doesn't stay there long term. I too still have high hopes for Denver. Another hard nut.

I suspect we have set him some KPIs that we want him hitting before he comes back into the side and if he can reach those he'll be a lock.
KPIs, build his tank, get him primed to be bigger, better, stronger, faster & hungry to maintain a winning culture from Box Hill into the seniors. Absolutely positive the coaches will be doing everything they can to make him a success. He's a work in progress

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Weddle, I had the same concerns that others did around his intent to attack certain contests but it appears from the stats that he attended the most 1:1s on the ground with 4 and didn't lose a single one. As tough as it is, might have a few beers, go back and watch his game a little closer.

On Weddle, I had the same concerns that others did around his intent to attack certain contests but it appears from the stats that he attended the most 1:1s on the ground with 4 and didn't lose a single one. As tough as it is, might have a few beers, go back and watch his game a little closer.
Where do you get that info?

Where do you get that info?
AFL website on a desktop, look up the match stats and you can switch to myStats that lets you pick from pretty much anything tracked in their profile in the mobile app.

AFL website on a desktop, look up the match stats and you can switch to myStats that lets you pick from pretty much anything tracked in their profile in the mobile app.
You can also look at game by game hitouts to advatange and the % for it.

All of that is super helpful, but tends to only update post game.

Stuart Dew was just unfit. Would wager he had the skinfolds and BMI of a bloke running around for Tallygaroopna reserves.

Relative to a position where the elite are playing 100% TOG and running ~13km a game, Denver is unfit. I'm a fan of the kid as a player but he just has below average aerobic capacity.
Hang on here we go as usual. He was labelled unfit by a poster which is a massive insult for a bloke that has done a full preseason, played every game and tries his guts out every week. It suggests he is a bludger which is not the case. If he was unfit by our standards he would be not allowed to train with the main group until he hit KPIs. This is not the case..

You have benchmarked him against the elite for his position and used that to justify supporting the unfit label. Most of the AFL comp is unfit if you follow your method. It's stupid.

Hang on here we go as usual. He was labelled unfit by a poster which is a massive insult for a bloke that has done a full preseason, played every game and tries his guts out every week. It suggests he is a bludger which is not the case. If he was unfit by our standards he would be not allowed to train with the main group until he hit KPIs. This is not the case..

You have benchmarked him against the elite for his position and used that to justify supporting the unfit label. Most of the AFL comp is unfit if you follow your method. It's stupid.
Elite was probably a poor choice of words on my behalf. Pretty much all key defenders, elite or otherwise, will play something around 95+ percent TOG, as do the forwards they play on. DGB manages about ~70 percent and still gases out quite regularly.

He has also been a fair way behind the back in our off season time trials since he got to the club.

Denying that there are any issues at all doesn't help the kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back