Preview Round 9, 2024 : Hawks v Saints, 1:45pm Sat 11th May, UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out: Maginness, Morrison, Gunston (rested)
In: Bruest, Chol, Lewis

If we're serious about developing players we 100% need to persist with Ward, Mackenzie and Watson.

Sicily would've woken up very sore this morning! However every chance he'll be right to go come Sat, but if not I'd be giving Phillips a go, as down back is where we're seriously deficient in height

It'd break my heart, but Sam Mitchell has stated Gunston is back at the club in a semi coaching role so as much as he is best 22, he could also make way to fit in Dear and Lewis if the latter is right to go.

Big game. Saints aren’t flash hot. Definitely one we can win at Fortress Launy.

That said the Saints know the ground rather well also.
Saints haven't played a H&A game at UTAS since 2018, and haven't played there regularly since the early 2000's.

Have to reward a team effort like that. Only changes due to injury/fitness.

You'd think Sicily will be out for a while - regardless of how good he felt to return on the day, his shoulder would be a structural weakness now. Can't afford that in a contested player - let alone one playing so undersized.

Chol's wrist won't come up, Lewis probably still battling the knee. Phillips might get the call-up, but that could disrupt our balance down back - they coped very well with Dogs 3 KPF, so could have confidence they can do the same to Saints.

Wingard still needs more gametime and match fitness, Breust? Not sure quite where he's at.

I'd swap the sub around, Watson back into the line-up, Mackenzie to be the sub and come on in the 2nd half as a primary onballer.

Last edited:

Ward might have trouble keeping his spot, with Wingard and Breust waiting in the wings. On of Chol and Lewis in the frame to replace Gunston who has forgotten how to kick a goal from anywhere outside 20 metres.
Gunston had 6 scoring shots and you want to drop him.....

I don't think Chol comes back in even if ready, 33 shots from 49 entries is extremely efficient work and we should have been a few more goals up. Gotta give it another game to see if it's a fluke or not.

I think Mackenzie comes out, and wouldn't be surprised to see Wingard come back in. Reduced game time, keep Watson as the sub or vice versa.
I want to see Chol in with that ball movement.

Hope we keep Ward, Watson and Mckenzie in the side even though they didn’t have great games and are all possible omissions along with Morrison. Breust, Chol and Mitchell are the most likely inclusions. Very winnable game but we need a significant lift from Worpel, Day and Newk (great 1st half) in the guts!

Seeing him on the Box Hill bench was great though, he was incredibly engaged. Him and ZLJ were standing shouting instructions to the boys as they made their charge to within a goal in the last few mins. Great to see how invested he is in Box Hill. Must be just happy to be back out there after a long recovery too!
Wingard these past few years really seems to have matured compared to when he first came to Hawthorn and indeed during his time at Port Adelaide. In years gone by he probably would not have enjoyed playing VFL but now it seems he's fully embraced it and is very much invested which is great to see. Having a potential career ending injury and getting the lifeline he has from the club would of course be huge motivation for him and has probably changed his perspective.

Honestly can't wait to see him back in the seniors and I hope he still has at least a couple of injury free seasons left in him.

Interesting listening to Sis after the game that he has been pushing for midfield minutes, personally would love to see this.

Could be the x factor that we missing through the guts.

Having said that he must be highly doubtful this week
Surely Sicily realises that the ball is on the ground a lot when playing as a midfielder. And he is virtually useless with anything below knee height. That and the fact he needs to hand pass which is not a strength either.

As a forward you might get some agreement, but midfield, not a chance.

Surely Sicily realises that the ball is on the ground a lot when playing as a midfielder. And he is virtually useless with anything below knee height. That and the fact he needs to hand pass which is not a strength either.

As a forward you might get some agreement, but midfield, not a chance.
What??? 🤨🤨🤨🤨🤨

God you’re so far off it’s not even worth it. He is a clean player done.

What??? 🤨🤨🤨🤨🤨

God you’re so far off it’s not even worth it. He is a clean player done.
He gets himself into trouble when the ball is on the deck or he’s in a contested situation. It’s the one time he’s suspect in the d50 and the pressure is greater in the middle.

His handballing is also suspect. The missed handball to Watto wasn’t exactly a rarity for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possible ins (in the mix): 🥣

Mitch Lewis - back within the next week or two. Will likely be a chance for this game. (Best 22 when fit)
Luke Breust - will be a test and presume a big chance to return. (Best 22 when fit)

Mabior Chol - back from suspension, battling a wrist/forearm injury, wait and see and where he fits into structure.
Seamus Mitchell - will be back after being managed, who comes out?
Ethan Phillips - has been very impressive at VFL level, will be close to debut, Sicily dependant.

Chad Wingard - still requires conditioning at VFL and will play more game time to push an AFL case.
Changkuoth Jiath - is back this week through VFL for conditioning and will be an option in 1-2 weeks.
Denver Grainger-Barras - has been training back from injury, will likely see VFL for match fitness, form and likely in the side later this season.

Colour =
Green - Likely to come in, not confirmed but 100% in the mix.
Yellow - A chance to come in, in the middle. Unsure.
Red - Unlikely to come in, in the mix.

Possible outs (on the chopping block): 🪓

Harry Morrison - quiet game but worked hard, a chance to be dropped or sub.
Josh Ward
- quiet game, damaging with it and worked hard, chance to be dropped to work on his game more or sub.
Cam MacKenzie - subbed from the game in the third quarter so a chance to be a dropped to work in the VFL or sub, a decent game.

Jack Gunston - a chance to be rested and managed soon, could it be this week?
James Worpel - below on form the last month, still performing okay but heat will come for his role.
Nick Watson - will be an option to be dropped to get confidence and work in the VFL, although unlikely and maybe sub again, although also unlikely.

James Sicily - will play if fit, will see how his shoulder feels throughout the week.

Colour =
Red - on the chopping block this week, big or more likely chances to be out.
Yellow - a chance to go out, whether dropped or rested.

Green - will play if fit, wait and see for fitness.

This is just my opinion of the possible ins and outs, there’s a bit to play out this week for the options and who could return/go out.

He gets himself into trouble when the ball is on the deck or he’s in a contested situation. It’s the one time he’s suspect in the d50 and the pressure is greater in the middle.

His handballing is also suspect. The missed handball to Watto wasn’t exactly a rarity for him.
I’ll start with handballing and if you think he’s not good by hand I’m not sure what to say. It’s clear that pressure can be applied in defense especially with less handball options but it isn’t a weakness, he is good at it.

Clean wise, he’s one of the only blokes in defense I feel could hit a contest at speed pick it up off his laces and set the game up. Does it a lot, it was mentioned on commentary by Jack Riewoldt on multiple occasions. In multiple different games.

Clearly an elite defender and can pinch forward or in the middle. Played in the middle 2022, did it well.

I feel like I'm watching a different game to a lot of people. People think Watson is low on confidence? Come on!
It’s a cumulative thing. The mind is a strong thing. The fact he hasn’t kicked goals he expects he should, would have him doubting himself. May not show it and he will keep “shooting” in NBA terms but it’ll be on his mind. If he goes down to VFL and starts kicking them again, he’ll have more belief. But may not be the case, Sam would know much more than us.

On form the only players who could come out are Ward and mackenzie. I don’t want to see our young players in and out though so hoping they stay in or at least one of them. Chol comes in and if Sicily doesn’t get up Serong is the replacement. Philips isn’t as good as him. Serong was playing seniors and was BoG on the weekend. I think Ward comes out for Chol and Sicily for Serong.

I feel like I'm watching a different game to a lot of people. People think Watson is low on confidence? Come on!
Think it’s more about finding touch. He’s rushing his shots. Easier to get that at vfl level without everyone watching. Few more of those howler misses and any normal persons confidence will start to dent.

I’ll start with handballing and if you think he’s not good by hand I’m not sure what to say. It’s clear that pressure can be applied in defense especially with less handball options but it isn’t a weakness, he is good at it.

Clean wise, he’s one of the only blokes in defense I feel could hit a contest at speed pick it up off his laces and set the game up. Does it a lot, it was mentioned on commentary by Jack Riewoldt on multiple occasions. In multiple different games.

Clearly an elite defender and can pinch forward or in the middle. Played in the middle 2022, did it well.

Problem is he is not a mid fielder and never will be!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Low confidence can show in different ways in different people, for some it can show through as reservedness, overthinking and in those like Watson it can show through as trying a bit too hard and rushing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back