Preview Round 9: Essendon vs The Orange Team, Marvel Stadium, Saturday 11th May, 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AFL team has gone 3-1-0 in the last 4 weeks, and the VFL team didnt play last week - so anyone coming in would be doing so cold off the bye into a much higher standard of play against the best team in the league.

I honestly dont know what people expected. Coaches almost never change a winning formula unless forced to.

If we want to blood Roberts or Hayes, doing it against Norf next week after playing VFL this week is surely the better option.

We’re at round 10 though. There’s always going to be a reason not to. If we beat GWS, he won’t want to change a winning team - if we lose, he’ll want to give them a chance to bounce back.

We desperately need to start playing some of these younger guys, or we’re going to have an enormous glut of players who just have no AFL experience.

We’re at round 10 though. There’s always going to be a reason not to. If we beat GWS, he won’t want to change a winning team - if we lose, he’ll want to give them a chance to bounce back.

We desperately need to start playing some of these younger guys, or we’re going to have an enormous glut of players who just have no AFL experience.
And if they keep winning ?
I know what you are saying but right now the group that is playing are getting the job done. Not like he is just rushing back senior guys. An easy out would have been to play Shiel and leave Davey out but Davey is still in. Hobbs is still in.
I am not sure you start messing around with what you are building while they are playing well and winning despite the fact that you could say maybe 4 or 5 will not be part of the long term future.

Not being a big VFL watcher, wondering what the deal with Shiel is? Not saying he should come back in but a bit surprised he hasn’t. Are we really changing our culture and keeping a senior player out for reasons other than injury?
The simple answer is the others are getting the job done and he can not get in the side.

We are already playing Perkins, Durham, Caldwell, Cox, Jones and Davey Jr as youngish players in a winning side, and we play Reid every opportunity we get.

Playing a debutant against the best team in it (arguably) after having not played VFL the previous week is setting them up to fail. Roberts and Hayes will get their shot.

We simply must win this if we are to finally get the recognition that mediocrity is finally leaving the derelict walls of Windy Hill and the new dawn of Tullamarine is taking shape.

Lose this and the same en masse haters will echo the same sentiments (rightly so) that have been hollowed at us for 20 years.

We simply must win

We simply must win this if we are to finally get the recognition that mediocrity is finally leaving the derelict walls of Windy Hill and the new dawn of Tullamarine is taking shape.

Lose this and the same en masse haters will echo the same sentiments (rightly so) that have been hollowed at us for 20 years.

We simply must win
Calm down

Not being a big VFL watcher, wondering what the deal with Shiel is? Not saying he should come back in but a bit surprised he hasn’t. Are we really changing our culture and keeping a senior player out for reasons other than injury?
I really like Shiel and enjoy watching him play, but it's going to be hard to get back in with all the young midfield depth performing so well.

He's a serious athlete and professional and has plenty left, I genuinely hope he goes to another club if we won't play him.

I really like Shiel and enjoy watching him play, but it's going to be hard to get back in with all the young midfield depth performing so well.

He's a serious athlete and professional and has plenty left, I genuinely hope he goes to another club if we won't play him.
I was thinking during the week, does it start to feel like only one of Setterfield / Shiel will continue on with us next year? I know different roles but introducing new blood onto the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not sure you start messing around with what you are building while they are playing well and winning despite the fact that you could say maybe 4 or 5 will not be part of the long term future.
I don't get what you mean.

If you know 4 or 5 won't be part of the long term future, that is literally the reason to try a new player here or there. Our wins have been far from convincing, perhaps save WB and Hawthorn is negligible. I don't think playing Hayes or Roberts ahead of Hind this week would constitute 'messing around' with what we're building, because, we are building. It would actually have been beneficial to find out.

The only fact in this instance that makes it a moot point is that we had a VFL bye on the weekend.

I might be missing something, but I'm not getting your angle here.

I'm fine with playing a full strength or near full strength GWS at home. Sure we have some injuries but it's a great opportunity to test the side against one of the best teams in the league. A good and committed performance that keeps the game close irrespective of W/L is all I ask for.

The simple answer is the others are getting the job done and he can not get in the side.
So in some ways it is growth as a club, it doesn’t feel too long ago senior players would get the gig if healthy even if it’s questionable whether they should.

I hope he steps it up, selection pressure is a great thing.

I don't get what you mean.

If you know 4 or 5 won't be part of the long term future, that is literally the reason to try a new player here or there. Our wins have been far from convincing, perhaps save WB and Hawthorn is negligible. I don't think playing Hayes or Roberts ahead of Hind this week would constitute 'messing around' with what we're building, because, we are building. It would actually have been beneficial to find out.

The only fact in this instance that makes it a moot point is that we had a VFL bye on the weekend.

I might be missing something, but I'm not getting your angle here.

Hind and Hayes don’t play the same role though…

With Duursma out if they play Hind back and Martin on the wing would people be upset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back