The Law Royal Commission into Child Abuse

Remove this Banner Ad

A department-convened child protection panel did not talk to any children before releasing recommendations to the federal government about making immigration detention safer, a royal commission has heard.
Panelist Margaret Allison said neither she nor her two colleagues had recent experience interviewing children and they did not want to further traumatise victims.
"We didn't talk to any children, except incidentally, as we walked through detention centres," she told the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse on Monday.

If you get a chance to see the raw video of this exchange, the look on Margaret Alllison is almost like it didn't occur her to.
Just answered ''no'' to the question, then a pause to say I maybe should clarify. Strange

I guess it depends on how you define making an argument. I see what they are doing as merely spewing institutional hatred.
What is wrong with hating an institution so deserving of hate? One only has to look at the horrendous effects which have occurred as a result of the torture they inflicted on you to justify this hatred. It's a (minor) tragedy that you are so servile to the power they still hold over you that you are unable to see this.

Because no kids died in other institutions before the infant mortality rate halved in the 1970s....... I mean, seriously, do you ever even bother to check these stories for yourself before repeating the "shock, child, mass grave, CATHOLIC" headline?

Next you'll be referencing the Crusades!
1961 is hardly the Crusades. In any case, did Catholics routinely murder the children of the unwed back then too? I don't see the point of the reference unless to change the subject at hand.
Bruce I can only assume you actually read the article.
I think you may have missed the insinuation that the children born out of wedlock, inconveniently to clergy or the rich and powerful were neglected and left to die if not murdered and buried, without proper process...secretly.
You probably also missed the bit about the other 7 Catholic institutions under investigation in Ireland.

No doubt other children did die in other institutions, did they die of planned neglect, were they murdered, these questions would need to be answered, but yet again you prefer to simply bury your head when it comes to Catholics.

1961 is hardly the Crusades. In any case, did Catholics routinely murder the children of the unwed back then too? I don't see the point of the reference unless to change the subject at hand.
Bruce I can only assume you actually read the article.
I think you may have missed the insinuation that the children born out of wedlock, inconveniently to clergy or the rich and powerful were neglected and left to die if not murdered and buried, without proper process...secretly.
You probably also missed the bit about the other 7 Catholic institutions under investigation in Ireland.

No doubt other children did die in other institutions, did they die of planned neglect, were they murdered, these questions would need to be answered, but yet again you prefer to simply bury your head when it comes to Catholics.

Yes. I did miss that "insinuation". If that's the message you got from the article then your hate runs so deep and so irrational that you can't be helped.

Yes. I did miss that "insinuation". If that's the message you got from the article then your hate runs so deep and so irrational that you can't be helped.
I suggest you read the article again then.
The Church ran many of Ireland's social services in the 20th century, including mother-and-baby homes where tens of thousands of unmarried pregnant women, including rape victims, were sent to give birth.

Unmarried mothers and their children were seen as a stain on Ireland's image as a devout Catholic nation. They were also a problem for some of the fathers, particularly powerful figures such as priests and wealthy, married men.

Government records show that in the 1930s, '40s and '50s, the mortality rate for "illegitimate" children was often more than five times that of those born to married parents. On average, more than one in four children born out of wedlock died.

In 2014, the Archbishop of Dublin said that "if something happened in Tuam, it probably happened in other mother-and-baby homes around the country".

The commission is investigating 17 other church-run institutions in all.

Even the Catholic Church seemed dismayed...

Ireland's once powerful Catholic Church has been rocked by a series of scandals over the abuse and neglect of children. The Archbishop of Tuam said in 2014 he was horrified and saddened by the historian's discovery.

Your inability to actually read or comprehend the story is no reason to insinuate my hatred in some way tainted the facts relayed within it.
I neither wrote the article or misquoted it.

This was an old story, posted over a year ago from memory. It just recently appeared again in the media and I did not even link to it.
My comment was merely to highlight your inability to distance yourself from your bias.

Which I believe it has...in spades.

Does that insinuate that they were neglected or left to die, perhaps murdered?

Or does it simply give a set of circumstances that should be thought about. Such as, hmmmm, the exacerbated consequences of diseases such as tuberculosis, small pox, and measles in children's homes and orphanages where groups of kids lived together? So, yes, I get that the article leaves open your conclusion, but it's your hate that causes you to bypass a good number of more reasonable conclusions.

Does that insinuate that they were neglected or left to die, perhaps murdered?

Or does it simply give a set of circumstances that should be thought about. Such as, hmmmm, the exacerbated consequences of diseases such as tuberculosis, small pox, and measles in children's homes and orphanages where groups of kids lived together? So, yes, I get that the article leaves open your conclusion, but it's your hate that causes you to bypass a good number of more reasonable conclusions.
Yes Bruce...
Yes it does.
Why else would you secretly inter 800 dead infants?
There were obviously many more who were not secretly disposed of in a sewer. You know...in a cemetery.
This didn't occur in the 1700's or such.
I did not write the article nor do I even claim it's veracity. I merely have to bring your point blank dismissal to the fore to yet again highlight your automatic bias. Your blind absolute defence of your cult on the issue of child sexual and physical abuse.

Yes Bruce...
Yes it does.
Why else would you secretly inter 800 dead infants?
There were obviously many more who were not secretly disposed of in a sewer. You know...in a cemetery.
This didn't occur in the 1700's or such.
I did not write the article.

What do you mean by "secret"? You are aware they all had death certificates, aren't you? Surely you've looked into it that far before judging?

What do you mean by "secret"? You are aware they all had death certificates, aren't you? Surely you've looked into it that far before judging?
Yes.
No other records were kept though. I assume you think these records were public knowledge and that a mass grave in a sewer is a fitting end??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes.
No other records were kept though. I assume you think these records were public knowledge and that a mass grave in a sewer is a fitting end??

I'm not sure what other records you were expecting? I'm not sure how many septic tanks are made up of up to 20 odd chambers either. It seems what probably happened was the septic tank was converted to a crypt after the home was connected to the mains water supply in around 1937.

By the way, I hope you're not worried about the kids that died prepartum.

Anti-Catholic bigots are cool with with false headlines designed to fuel their own bigotry without so much as a cursory check for accuracy. Colour me shocked.
Are we utterly certain that we are comparing like with like here? An alleged mass murder versus proven, indisputable evidence of an organisation run by perverts, who are protected by even bigger arseholes, whose only aim in life is to protect the coffers and revive the reviled reputation of their organisation.

You are parroting the church's pathetic attempt to maintain the reputation of an organisation based on a preposterous fantasy. God is the most gargantuan "false headline' ever devised. The jesuits had it right about the effects of inculcation has on the lives of those of your ilk. Even though you profess to being a 'lapsed catholic', they've still got their hooks into you, and that's really sad.

It is noteworthy that you find yourself unable to assert that the church to which you are so devoted would be incapable of the monstrosities of which they're accused in Ireland.

Are we utterly certain that we are comparing like with like here? An alleged mass murder versus proven, indisputable evidence of an organisation run by perverts, who are protected by even bigger arseholes, whose only aim in life is to protect the coffers and revive the reviled reputation of their organisation.

You are parroting the church's pathetic attempt to maintain the reputation of an organisation based on a preposterous fantasy. God is the most gargantuan "false headline' ever devised. The jesuits had it right about the effects of inculcation has on the lives of those of your ilk. Even though you profess to being a 'lapsed catholic', they've still got their hooks into you, and that's really sad.

It is noteworthy that you find yourself unable to assert that the church to which you are so devoted would be incapable of the monstrosities of which they're accused in Ireland.

I'm not unable to make such assertions. In fact I am quite certain that the institution is very capable of committing all sorts of monstrosities. It's a big leap, however, to assert positively what is implied by you and others here. To me it looks like a bunch of kids got sick over a bunch of years, died, and were buried in a purpose built chamber. You would appear to have that they were murdered or otherwise neglected and tossed in a sewer (kind of like in a Planned Parenthood fashion).

I'm glad for you that you're positive about the absence of a deity. I'm less convinced either way.

The reported Anglican response is in stark contrast to Pell's flaccid performance on behalf of his church.
Maybe Bruce, you get a whiff of why so many are less forgiving of the Catholics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back