Opinion Sad to see the G so empty for a final

Remove this Banner Ad

We draw a crowd at home, or far away.
MCC and AFL members areas were both packed to the rafters. Not one spare seat.
That's about 45,000 out of 77,000. Very rare to see that for 70k-80k crowd at the G.

Both areas were full of neutrals for the only MCG Prelim this weekend.
Not saying they were all neutrals, of course. Obviously a number of Cats & Lions fans among that 45k.
Just saying there were plenty of theatre goers tonight (all leaving in droves at 3/4 time)

Last edited:
MCC and AFL members areas were both packed to the rafters. Not one spare seat.
That's about 45,000 out of 77,000. Very rare to see that for 70k-80k crowd at the G.

Both areas were full of neutrals for the only MCG Prelim this weekend.
Not saying they were all neutrals, of course. Obviously a number of Cats & Lions fans among that 45k.
Just saying there were plenty of theatre goers tonight (all leaving in droves at 3/4 time)

MCC was absolutely packed but yes nots of Demons and Pies fans in particular (including myself).

The previous record for Brisbane (excluding GF's) was 71k against the Swans at Telstra in 2003.

So a new record for the Lions in a non-GF final has been reached, which is kind of nice on an overall crap night.

Brisbane v Geelong 2004 Prelim was 55k, so an extra 22k compared to last time.

Keep playing stupid songs between goals im sure it will drive a lot of people away like it with the Big Bash playing some hellish music between every ball

How many people legitimately won't go to the football because they don't like a song after a goal?

How many people legitimately won't go to the football because they don't like a song after a goal?

It forms part of making the experience worse, add up enough bad experiences and you end up like the Big Bash. The competition where crowds drop 80 % and the network sues them to get out of having to broadcast their games. What moron at the AFL could look at anything the Big Bash has done in the last 3 years and say "Hey lets copy that"

Just as well you don't follow NRL. They got 12000 to a final in Sydney. They wouldn't know what to do if 70k turned up.

That is the current capacity of the ground.

The Shark Park precinct underwent a redevelopment from 2020, forcing the Sharks to relocate home games Kogarah for two seasons. The club will return to their traditional home for the 2022 season, however capacity will be restricted to 12,000. While little of the stadium is being worked on, areas around it, including the leagues club which will re-open in mid-2023, will be impacted.

Basically, Cronulla got what Geelong wanted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It forms part of making the experience worse, add up enough bad experiences and you end up like the Big Bash. The competition where crowds drop 80 % and the network sues them to get out of having to broadcast their games. What moron at the AFL could look at anything the Big Bash has done in the last 3 years and say "Hey lets copy that"

Bring some ear plugs.

That is the current capacity of the ground.

Basically, Cronulla got what Geelong wanted.
Where they played was a choice. Can you imagine playing a final at Victoria Park?
Either way, they can only dream of getting AFL size crowds.

I keep getting surveys asking me about my 'match day experience'. To me it's the game and that's all. If we win my experience is usually pretty good.

Where they played was a choice. Can you imagine playing a final at Victoria Park?
Either way, they can only dream of getting AFL size crowds.

Victoria Park is a dog park now isn't it?

The atmosphere was rocking at Endeavour Field last week going from the replay. Quite the opposite to 70k in the G last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back