Opinion Sad to see the G so empty for a final

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw this somewhere but I think this was just about the highest ever finals crowd (non-GF) involving Brisbane. I think those Pies vs Brisbane games in the early 2000's only attracted high 50's/60's? Although admittedly some work being done on the stands then.

I'd have liked more fans, but honestly I don't think that there were that many fewer Dees fans than the Sydney game. The biggest drop was the number of away fans.

And like folks have said, the qualifying final is always more hyped than the semi.
2003, MCG was lucky to hold 70k

Only 62,000.

Disgraceful.
Why is that a disgrace?

51,000 for Geelong vs West Coast semi final 2019

65,000 for Collingwood vs West Coast semi final 2012

62,000 last night was the 5th highest semi final of a Victorian team vs non Victorian team out of 16 semi finals under the current finals system since 2000. It was an above average crowd.

I thought Melbourne fans were all crazy to see their team dominate the finals, in person 🤔. Unlike last year 😏. Maybe they were holding off until the Grand Final and snatching a last couple of skiing weekends.
Or maybe they had an inkling after last week.
I didn’t go because I live interstate but I did see us destroy your pathetic rabble of a club in Perth last year. Good times

Tonight’s crowd was pretty good in my opinion.

Below is the crowd of every Vic/Non-Vic SF match since 1990 at the MCG.

VIC vs. NON-VIC (MCG Semi Finals Since 1990)
  • 1996 (Essendon v West Coast) = 85,656
  • 1993 (Essendon v West Coast) = 75,453
  • 2018 (Collingwood vs GWS) = 72,504
  • 1992 (Geelong v West Coast) = 71,745
  • 2015 (Hawthorn v Adelaide) = 70,879
  • 2012 (Collingwood v West Coast) = 65,483
  • 2009 (Collingwood v Adelaide) = 62,184
  • 2022 (Melbourne vs Brisbane Lions) = 62,162
  • 2000 (Carlton v Brisbane Lions) = 56,924
  • 1999 (Carlton v West Coast) = 55,982
  • 1997 (North Melbourne v West Coast) = 55,781
  • 2017 (Geelong v Sydney) = 55,529
  • 2011 (Hawthorn v Sydney) = 55,198
  • 1995 (North Melbourne v West Coast) = 53,759
  • 2013 (Geelong v Port Adelaide) = 52,744
  • 2019 (Geelong v West Coast) = 51,813
  • 2002 (Adelaide v Melbourne) = 51,533
  • 2004 (St Kilda v Sydney) = 50,671
  • 2009 (Western Bulldogs v Brisbane Lions) = 47,030
  • 2010 (Geelong v Fremantle) = 45,056
  • 2008 (Western Bulldogs v Sydney) = 42,731
  • 2010 (Western Bulldogs v Sydney) = 39,596
I think people have become too accustomed to sell out finals crowds.
Go Eagles

You got the numbers on this? I'd assume a lot were at the Gabba which only holds 35k so not sure that's a big accomplishment.

Anyway I don't know if the mics were in piss poor areas but on the TV really didn't seem like much of an atmosphere.
2003 Prelim: Sydney v Lions @ Telstra - 71,019
2003 QF: Collingwood v Lions @ MCG - 66,092 (MCG Renovation year)
2022 Semi: Melbourne v Lions @ MCG - 62,162
1999 Prelim: North v Lions @ MCG - 61,031
2000 Semi: Carlton v Lions @ MCG - 56,924
2004 Prelim: Geelong v Lions @ MCG - 55,768
1997 QF: Saints v Lions @ Waverly - 50,035
2009 Semi: Bulldogs v Lions @ MCG - 47,030

This is every single final the Lions have played since the merger, away from the GABBA and excluding Grand Finals.

Last edited:

This is every single final the Lions have played since the merger, away from the GABBA and excluding Grand Finals.
Yeah thanks I deleted anyway and just checked myself. Just felt pretty empty but I think the Dees fans were just very flat. And I don't blame them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah thanks I deleted anyway and just checked myself. Just felt pretty empty but I think the Dees fans were just very flat. And I don't blame them.
The atmosphere picked up in the second half when the Lions got on top and our supporters got going with them.

The Dees fans certainly turned up, there was a lot of them but they didn't make much noise outside of booing Zorko. Melbourne cheer squad tried to get going but that was it. I've been to games against Carlton/Collingwood/Richmond and their fan engagement is higher, not to take a dig at the Dees.

But the notion that the MCG was "empty" is ridiculous and clearly an attempt to ridicule the Demons supporter base when it's factually not correct. It was a bloody great crowd and kudos to the Dees supporters who showed up.

Tonights crowd for an emlimination final (which has the reigning premier playing to stay alive) just proves the argument made by many on big footy that in Melbourne there really are only 4 clubs that can consistently fill up the G. Pies, Tiges, Blues, Dons... PERIOD.
I think it's only sad, if you have nothing else of interest in your life.

In Geelong's defence of the 2004 Prelim. it was Brisbane's home final😎

The ones in the know including Buckley expected you to be here again.

You’ve been in a GF, PF and SF recently with 1 embarrassing season no one expected but you dealt with a lot more injury.

The nuffy public or outsiders are the ones that expected you to stay in the bottom 4, probably because of a fire sale and a new coach but obviously you’re better than that, just got rid of some bad eggs.
Always had the talent.
2021 is the outlier not 2022.

You’re a good side that just lost another final. A side that doesn’t often win finals themselves.
The improvement is massively overrated.
Silly comment. As a Collingwood supporter I can tell you the transformation in our game style is astonishing, Mark Robinson isn't an Einstein but he tipped us to collect the wooden spoon this year. In 2019 when the Giants pipped us in the slog in the wet Prelim final we had kicked four goals till early in the last term. We had fallen in a heap in the second half of the year and found a way to get into the top four with dour, grinding, defensive football. In 2020 we were similar in our slow, defensive, safe approach and after a memorable win against the Eagles got smashed the following week and looked a shell of a team.

I have enjoyed losing games this year under McRae more than games we won under Bucks during the past few seasons. 2018 was the only year where were played with some flair and aggression and then we reverted back to the grind.

Fly has changed the whole feel of the club. The passion is back, we fans feel deeply connected and we are playing a glorious brand of footy.

Once again, we reach the pointy end of the year with a makeshift forward line and undersized backline. Our club has enormous spirit. Geelong, Sydney and Brisbane have all recruited superstar forwards in Cameron, Buddy and Daniher. We make do with an undersized speculative pick who had been overlooked in countless drafts and a mid-year rookie who has played less than ten games.

McRae and his assistants have done a superb job and Fly's achievement should in no way be downplayed.

Geelong have been in devastating form. Just look at their percentage. We were given no hope. We were going to be exposed as pretenders and frauds who fell into the four through sheer luck. We then proceeded to control the game against the much-hyped full strength well rested Cats and were the better side for much of the night. We were the only team who looked like breaking the game wide open. You got us in the last minute when your super star got you over the line with his kick to Rohan. Your performances in previous finals are completely irrelevant to your team this year. You had five or was it six All Australians in your team and we had one.

We should have smashed a much hyped Freo team but for terrible conversion which could come back to bite us. Many in the media were on the Freo wagon. It was a complete performance.

Not bad for a bunch of lucky imposters regardless of what happens from now on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back