Opinion Sad to see the G so empty for a final

Remove this Banner Ad

Initial ticket sales had 3900 Brisbane members out of 28000 tickets sold which is just under 14%. Doesn’t include the very Melbourne supporter dominate MCC which would swing the percentage even further Melbourne’s way.

View attachment 1504416

But let’s say Brisbane had 14% of 62000, that’s about 8500
Definitely more than 8500. A lot of Lions fans in VIC probably aren't members these days (I'm not). It's honestly just not worth it, if I'm going to be honest. Especially during the pandemic years and lack of games in Melbourne.

If you keep the 14% Lions members and then add another 15% as non-member Lions supporters, that's about 18k, which is probably closer to the mark.

Tonights crowd for an emlimination final (which has the reigning premier playing to stay alive) just proves the argument made by many on big footy that in Melbourne there really are only 4 clubs that can consistently fill up the G. Pies, Tiges, Blues, Dons... PERIOD.
Get rid of those sides that aren't Collingwood.
Little Collingwood couldn't fill the G when they played GWS in a final.
Looks like Richmond's the only club that is guaranteed to pack the G against any other club in a final.

I can’t stand it when they shut off a level of a stand. I understand that they are understaffed at the MCG but to then cram everyone in like sardines especially through a pandemic which is still happening by the way is ridiculous. Let the 70k spread themselves out a little bit, more comfortable = more enjoyable.

Little Collingwood couldn't fill the G when they played GWS in a final.
Looks like Richmond's the only club that is guaranteed to pack the G against any other club in a final.
Hot Shots Idiot GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Semi-final crowds are always a bit 'disappointing'. The home team is coming off a loss which has taken the wind out of the sails of a finals run. If you're a Melbourne fan looking at this game, you're thinking if you win you've got a prelim to attend next week and then possibly a Grand Final after that. If you lose you're not going to be upset you missed the game anyway.

Lions fans did their part, outnumbered Melbourne fans.
I thought Melbourne fans were all crazy to see their team dominate the finals, in person 🤔. Unlike last year 😏. Maybe they were holding off until the Grand Final and snatching a last couple of skiing weekends.
Or maybe they had an inkling after last week.

And are treated to embarrassing displays. Serves them right. But the AFL are happy and that’s the main thing.
Embarrassing displays like beating Sydney and losing to Collingwood after the siren?

We also beat Brisbane at the Gabba. So we were within a bee's dick of beating the 3 of the preliminary finalists if Collingwood win tonight.

I saw this somewhere but I think this was just about the highest ever finals crowd (non-GF) involving Brisbane. I think those Pies vs Brisbane games in the early 2000's only attracted high 50's/60's? Although admittedly some work being done on the stands then.

I'd have liked more fans, but honestly I don't think that there were that many fewer Dees fans than the Sydney game. The biggest drop was the number of away fans.

And like folks have said, the qualifying final is always more hyped than the semi.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back