Saints AFLX squad

Remove this Banner Ad

New outfits are ready and they look great

strong1.jpg

Of more concern is this new manoeuvre intended to prevent the opposition from scoring a zooper goal

Victorian-Strong-Men-2.jpg

Hopefully that's not Paddy's soft head between those muscly thighs

Last edited:
Lots of people aren't looking at the long game here. The AFL has no interest in capturing the attention of the AFL purists. Just like it didn't when it announced it's desire to push into eSports. It sees this is an opportunity to create a sport that can become a global phenomenon.

There are a number of sports in the world that have hybrid versions of an original game that are almost un-recognisable. Take touch rugby for example. That shyte has exploded across the world. You still need a rugby ball to play it. And rugby boots. And everybody knows if you're wearing Canterbury gear you must really know a bit about the game. Most importantly though it creates a pathway back to the original sport that shouldn't be dismissed.

If AFLX can hold it's ground it will eventually produce a footballer who is less about the endurance and strength, and more about agility, speed and supreme foot skill. In time it could become something that is legitimately exciting to watch, with it's very own superstars, who would be useless in the AFL proper. Importantly, it may become a really good catch net for players who haven't been able to cut it in the AFL.

The sport will eventually evolve away into it's own version like it has in every other instance in the history of mankind, including Australian Rules.

7-a-side rugby may be a great example of this, but I really only mentioned it so I can post this photo.

upload_2018-2-7_12-5-19.png

Lord, I have done everything you asked. When is this St Kilda premiership happening?

Asking for a friend.

At the TAB.

Lots of people aren't looking at the long game here. The AFL has no interest in capturing the attention of the AFL purists. Just like it didn't when it announced it's desire to push into eSports. It sees this is an opportunity to create a sport that can become a global phenomenon.

There are a number of sports in the world that have hybrid versions of an original game that are almost un-recognisable. Take touch rugby for example. That shyte has exploded across the world. You still need a rugby ball to play it. And rugby boots. And everybody knows if you're wearing Canterbury gear you must really know a bit about the game. Most importantly though it creates a pathway back to the original sport that shouldn't be dismissed.

If AFLX can hold it's ground it will eventually produce a footballer who is less about the endurance and strength, and more about agility, speed and supreme foot skill. In time it could become something that is legitimately exciting to watch, with it's very own superstars, who would be useless in the AFL proper. Importantly, it may become a really good catch net for players who haven't been able to cut it in the AFL.

The sport will eventually evolve away into it's own version like it has in every other instance in the history of mankind, including Australian Rules.

7-a-side rugby may be a great example of this, but I really only mentioned it so I can post this photo.

View attachment 457353

Lord, I have done everything you asked. When is this St Kilda premiership happening?

Asking for a friend.

At the TAB.

Agree. My wife always claims she would go to more footy games if they were shorter. Sport fans are becoming more time poor and want constant action and short games so they don't have to spend a whole night or afternoon doing one thing. It's more transportable overseas too.

Soccer, Rugby league and union etc were all just variations played at different English private schools. Aussie rules was just an off season training program for cricket players that went for weeks on end in giant paddocks.

Agree. My wife always claims she would go to more footy games if they were shorter. Sport fans are becoming more time poor and want constant action and short games so they don't have to spend a whole night or afternoon doing one thing. It's more transportable overseas too.

Soccer, Rugby league and union etc were all just variations played at different English private schools. Aussie rules was just an off season training program for cricket players that went for weeks on end in giant paddocks.
Read: Millennials.
Have the attention span of gnats.

Read: Millennials.
Have the attention span of gnats.

We are too old for millennials but I reckon it's just generally a thing now. I can't be bothered with cricket any more because it's too much of a time commitment. Fan forums are full of fanatics but normal people aren't as committed to putting in the time. Especially new potential fans from overseas or interstate.

For the life of me I can't see how the soccer pitch will be big enough with professional players kicking the ball over 50 meters no worries. Maybe it'll work better for regular folk and not the pros. So curious to see how it will work with AFL players, but wouldn't be surprised if it's shot attempt after shot attempt. I initially thought seven aside is too few, but undoubtedly AFL have trialed it enough to know this is the best number (for what they're after).

The AFL should be pouring resources into improving the game in Tassie instead of trying to invent a stupid game played on a soccer pitch- at least it may be a more interesting game than soccer to watch.

Great point. Why are they so focused on creating a game that captures an international audience when we still have AFL supporting states missing out.

Great point. Why are they so focused on creating a game that captures an international audience when we still have AFL supporting states missing out.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And Tassie and NT can apparently get stuffed.

Unfortunately the AFL is determined to grow the game internationally and they use square pitches mostly, and since it was such a smashing success in NZ as well, probably best to condense it and grow where it doesn't impact the religion sports so much as well.

For the life of me I can't see how the soccer pitch will be big enough with professional players kicking the ball over 50 meters no worries. Maybe it'll work better for regular folk and not the pros. So curious to see how it will work with AFL players, but wouldn't be surprised if it's shot attempt after shot attempt. I initially thought seven aside is too few, but undoubtedly AFL have trialed it enough to know this is the best number (for what they're after).

Fullback grabs the ball.. Goal.
Ballup. Clearance and Goal.
Miss the goal, fullback gets a shot.

Possibilities are endless. Much easier to setup a club and cheaper.

Frankly I don't think we have the population to sustain the current game as it is.

We have too many teams in vic.

Possibilities are endless. Much easier to setup a club and cheaper.

Frankly I don't think we have the population to sustain the current game as it is.

We have too many teams in vic.

Too many teams , too many codes, pressure to reduce sponsorship from gambling and alcohol. Large Australian companies that are cashed up.... not so many. ( I read the other day that car companies spend $1500 in advertising per vehicle sold , think about that in terms of retail price of a Corolla ). Watch Ford, Holden and Toyota all reduce their sponsorship.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just throwing this out there... I play in Europe, where we play both the traditional game and a 9-man version on rugby fields.

And we find that having a key forward is actually fairly important, a focal point, as you can hit them from almost anywhere on the park so having someone taking marks is actually quite important.
So if they were genuinely giving this a crack I'd not rule out Membrey, maybe even worth giving Paddy the extra work.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As some posters are saying, one decent kick & we have a goal. So will be interesting if they change the ball, maybe a more padded outer so it doesn’t travel as far. I remember back in the ‘70’s playing a couple of indoor footy games in WA & we used completely padded balls, they travelled about 5 metres at best. So yeah definitely be interesting to see what the AFL comes up with.

The ground is going to be more then 100m long so you will probably need to be in your own half to score

I imagine they want to encourage the run and carry game though so a weighted ball might be the answer. It needs a bit of a touch footy element to make it more interesting otherwise teams will just go long bombs for super goals as soon as they get outside the defensive area. It will look like long distance tennis otherwise.

New outfits are ready and they look great

strong1.jpg

Of more concern is this new manoeuvre intended to prevent the opposition from scoring a zooper goal

Victorian-Strong-Men-2.jpg

Hopefully that's not Paddy's soft head between those muscly thighs
That's our centre bounce set up to circumvent the 3rd man up rule... Hickey looks good with short hair.

I imagine they want to encourage the run and carry game though so a weighted ball might be the answer. It needs a bit of a touch footy element to make it more interesting otherwise teams will just go long bombs for super goals as soon as they get outside the defensive area. It will look like long distance tennis otherwise.
They are going to use those plastic footballs we used as kids...

Did you ever try a torp with those things?

Yep, wrapped around your foot and never quite recovered from that. I remember getting those things at service stations and if the torp didn't get them the dog did.

I kind of assume that is the main point of AFLX.
Having a version of the game that the rest of the world have grounds for. Not many sports play on oval shaped grounds
While I'm not keen on the game I think the concept is very tightly thought out.

Broadcasters are looking for content, especially cable and free to air, a game that can be done with in 30mins. is just what they want.
Every thing that overseas watchers and potential players are looking for. All the things about the modern game that people hate disappear, no congestion, no zones, no flooding, just kick, mark, run and score.

From the code developers point of view players need reasonable fitness but not so much that any body types, will be excluded, (hello NFL, NBA and Soccer) there would be markets all over the world for subsidiary/secondary sport, that is easy to play and organise.

It's a gamble the AFL would be brain dead not to take, that being said I'm not keen but I can see why it could be a winner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back