Discussion Saints cooking

Remove this Banner Ad

Wish I didn't open this thread...currently on the man shakes to try and drop some kg's, I'd be lying if I said it was enjoyable

Me too, I start blowing out when I'm not working every day. I'm doing it without shakes so spend everyday hungry at the moment. Looking at this stuff is bad news.

Me too, I start blowing out when I'm not working every day. I'm doing it without shakes so spend everyday hungry at the moment. Looking at this stuff is bad news.
A beer or maybe a glass of red with G train’s toasted sandwich or risky’s burger, you know you want to 🤣

PS: I’m waiting for my treadmill to arrive, I’ve put back on what I’d lost and added more, so hard with nothing to do except stay home and watch tv.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I eat spam occasionally, it’s a hang over from camping down the coast but I get the taste for it. My wife looses it like I’m a criminal but who cares.

Caramelise some onions with some chopped chilli, add spam, coconut milk and cabbage. Pacific Islands comfort food right there. Never eat cold though. That spam and coconut milk combination will set like bryll hair cream.

I recently started to sous vide my steaks. Will never go back to cooking a steak on the Bbq again.
Medium steak, 25mm thick takes about 1.0-1.5 hours to cook and then about 30 seconds each side on the bbq or a hot frypan.
The steaks turn out tender and juicy.
I purchased my sous vide stick for about $80.00.
Am having a couple of porterhouse steaks today

20210828_142004.jpg

Made cheeseburgers two weekends in a row, trying to perfect a classic meal. Last weekend I used brioche buns. I thought it would add a touch of class - wrong. Too sweet, couldn't handle any grease, and just wasn't pleasant. Also I used Cheer (formerly Coon) "Aussie Jack Burger Slices" cheese. It was okay, turned to liquid cheese though. Fehlbergs "Special burger pickles" from the jar. These are great.

This weekend, out of necessity I went with cheapo Safeway white rolls, not even a sesame seed on top. Much better, but still the weak point of this meal.
Beerenberg Farm Tomato + cracked pepper relish, Dairyworks (New Zealand brand) sliced cheddar and the same pickles. I bought the Woolies chuck burger patties (with garlic and cracked pepper) and they're pretty good for a supermarket. Next weekend I'll have a look at the butcher shop to see what they've got.

Very happy with how it turned out tonight. Incredible taste for something so simple.

Made cheeseburgers two weekends in a row, trying to perfect a classic meal. Last weekend I used brioche buns. I thought it would add a touch of class - wrong. Too sweet, couldn't handle any grease, and just wasn't pleasant. Also I used Cheer (formerly Coon) "Aussie Jack Burger Slices" cheese. It was okay, turned to liquid cheese though. Fehlbergs "Special burger pickles" from the jar. These are great.

This weekend, out of necessity I went with cheapo Safeway white rolls, not even a sesame seed on top. Much better, but still the weak point of this meal.
Beerenberg Farm Tomato + cracked pepper relish, Dairyworks (New Zealand brand) sliced cheddar and the same pickles. I bought the Woolies chuck burger patties (with garlic and cracked pepper) and they're pretty good for a supermarket. Next weekend I'll have a look at the butcher shop to see what they've got.

Very happy with how it turned out tonight. Incredible taste for something so simple.
Yeah, brioche just doesn't work for burgers. If you're up for a challenge, here's the patty recipe I use:

• You need 200g short rib, 200g brisket, 400g chuck (or sirloin if you're feeling fancy, I go with chuck for fat content).
  • Put your food processor attachment in the freezer for about an hour (helps mince the meat)
  • Remove bones and silver skin from your brisket, sirloin, and short rib. Slice meat into one inch strips and then cut crosswise into 1-2 inch chunks.
  • Freeze meat for 15-20 minutes
  • Put the cold slicing blade in your food processor, then load up with the meat. Process until you have the desired texture.
  • Form into 4-5 inch pucks (or whatever size you’d like), add a slight divot in the middle. Season with salt and pepper, and let rest in the fridge.
Frozen example (they freeze well):

sandwich.jpg

Cooked example:

sandwich.jpg

Yeah, brioche just doesn't work for burgers. If you're up for a challenge, here's the patty recipe I use:

• You need 200g short rib, 200g brisket, 400g chuck (or sirloin if you're feeling fancy, I go with chuck for fat content).
  • Put your food processor attachment in the freezer for about an hour (helps mince the meat)
  • Remove bones and silver skin from your brisket, sirloin, and short rib. Slice meat into one inch strips and then cut crosswise into 1-2 inch chunks.
  • Freeze meat for 15-20 minutes
  • Put the cold slicing blade in your food processor, then load up with the meat. Process until you have the desired texture.
  • Form into 4-5 inch pucks (or whatever size you’d like), add a slight divot in the middle. Season with salt and pepper, and let rest in the fridge.
Frozen example (they freeze well):

View attachment 1219910

Cooked example:

View attachment 1219905
Thanks so much. I didn't go into it in my other post, but I definitely want to move towards mincing my own stuff. Baby steps, I've never been big on cooking, but it's something I need to get better at.
I want to get into making sausages too, I've got a good source on casings and it's about time I took advantage and crafted some snags.

Thanks so much. I didn't go into it in my other post, but I definitely want to move towards mincing my own stuff. Baby steps, I've never been big on cooking, but it's something I need to get better at.
I want to get into making sausages too, I've got a good source on casings and it's about time I took advantage and crafted some snags.
I've been making my own sausages for many years. I buy my sausage casings online. A company called smoked and cured.
There's a YouTube channel called "two men and a cooler" which is well worth following for sausage recipes.
Mincers aren't too expensive and and a 1kg sausage stuffer is fairly cheap.
Pork and fennel is my go to sausage. You can make pretty good sausages just using chicken mince and flavourings, if you just want to dip your toe in the water, without spending money on a mincer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back