Saints, Dogs, Dockers, Lions. Who finishes highest in 2019?

Saints, Dogs, Dockers, Lions. Who finishes highest in 2019?

• Saints

Votes: 19 11.2%
  • Dogs

Votes: 49 28.8%
  • Freo

Votes: 47 27.6%
  • Lions

Votes: 55 32.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

ok ok ill give you Hill ... but honestly i reckon most people on B/f would say he was more damaging and better player at Hawthorn (obviously the players around him helps but thats kinda the point) ..
you bring up Tarrant's situation while at Freo as an excuse and fair enough but the point remains he was never the player in purple as he was in black and white
Solomon - its not my expectaion of him to get better i really didnt care if he was a spud or not but the point is still valid he was (with age the excuse) half the player he was at Essendon ....
so my original observation remains correct , Freo have not had a great record at getting players to be better playing for them as they did from the clubs they originally came from ...
so that is the reason im not sold that the new guys Freo got this off season are going to be enough especially with Ross Lyons coaching style ... the gameplan takes a hell of a lot of comitment and concentration and ultimatly burns players out over time i dunno how that will work with guys like Hogan and Lobb

Tarrant was transformed into an A class defender at Freo and continued as a defender at Collingwood. Lyons game plan allowed Pavlich and now Mundy to wrack up record games for players playing out of WA. .Your posts are embarrassing in there lack of knowledge re Fremantle.

Tarrant was transformed into an A class defender at Freo and continued as a defender at Collingwood. Lyons game plan allowed Pavlich and now Mundy to wrack up record games for players playing out of WA. .Your posts are embarrassing in there lack of knowledge re Fremantle.
A class defender ... he was chucked in defence because he was woeful as a forward and was thrown there as an alternative of getting dropped .. he did well as a backman but really hit his straps back at Collingwood where he was one of the best defenders in the AFL ... Pavlich played 74 matches under Lyon out of 353 career games Lyon didnt prolong his career the fact he was a fantastic player allowed him to have a long carreer same with Mundy not because of Lyons game plan ... but hey if you want to credit Ross for that so be it ...
the question is do you feel if with these new players brought in by Freo if they dont make finals with this list that Ross is the man to take you to further ? the list you have built on paper is fine the question is (and i guess we will see in 2019) can Ross coach a team thats good on paper to be good on the field

so Freo fans if im wrong as you all keep posting how embarassingly wrong i am please list for me the players who have come from another club to Freo and have become better players ... it should be really easy if im so embarassingly wrong ...

so Freo fans if im wrong as you all keep posting how embarassingly wrong i am please list for me the players who have come from another club to Freo and have become better players ... it should be really easy if im so embarassingly wrong ...
Peter Mann, Stephen O’Reilly, Dale Kickett, Jason Norrish, Adrian Fletcher, Troy Cook, Peter Bell, Bradley Hill, Matthew Carr, Luke McPharlin, Danyle Pearce, Matthew Burton.
That’s from a minutes thought. Which is more than you’ve managed in your life, apparently.

Your not wrong our trading has been bad overall and definitely one of the major reasons for our lack of success but it's been better the last decade or so probably about 50/50 on the hits and misses or even if it's slightly worse than that we haven't overpaid too badly for them

Not sure poor trades from 20 years ago have much relevance to how Hogan and Lobb will go though

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

**** me, I thought you were going to bring up Troy Polak and Chris Groom.

I'm shocked you passed us on Luke Mcpharlin and Troy Cook, so I'm glad we weren't total failure...

Brad Hill won a BnF in his only full season at Freo. Gumbleton... riiight.
Hamling, get a grip.
You clearly know **** all about Tarrant and his time at Freo and also where he was at at the time of the trade.
Solomon, did you expect him to get better. Says more about you than Freo.
Pearce got worse, yes after he got better!
Croad was a sooky campaigner before he even arrived at Freo. He never wanted to be here and never put in any effort to help.

Embarrassing!

Yeah.

But what about Jack Anthony? ;)

Peter Mann, Stephen O’Reilly, Dale Kickett, Jason Norrish, Adrian Fletcher, Troy Cook, Peter Bell, Bradley Hill, Matthew Carr, Luke McPharlin, Danyle Pearce, Matthew Burton.
That’s from a minutes thought. Which is more than you’ve managed in your life, apparently.
Peter Mann - to be fair i dont remember his North Melbourne days as i was 9 years old then but i do remember him in the last few years of his career at freo and he was fairly poor easily your worst captain you have had in your clubs history
Stephen O’Reilly - Again a little before my time i do remember him playing in the 94 g/f against geelong but to be honest the most memorable thing i recall about him was that you guys ripped Carlton off big time in trading him to them
Dale Kickett - ill give you that 5th club was a charm for him
Jason Norrish - who ??? seriosly i cant remembr him as a player i googled him and i still have no idea .. so yeah maybe he improved with you guys but he is hardly a glowing endorsment of Freo turning a spud into gold
Adrian Fletcher - far out we are really digging deep into the archives how bout we stick to players who didnt play in the 80's ...
Troy Cook - agree he was a spud before he came to Freo and became a serviceable player at freo
Peter Bell - not even close he was fantastic at North in their flag winning years he was a good footballer for Freo but his prime was in blue and white
Bradley Hill - Really ... honestly you rate his Freo seasons stronger than his Hawthorn years? i reckon Hill himself would say he hasnt lived up to expectation as yet
Matthew Carr - was fairly average at St Kilda and continued to be so at Freo hardly an improvment to hang your hat on
Luke McPharlin - yep easily the most improvment from a freo player coming from another club
Danyle Pearce - he had one good season at freo before becoming s**t ... he also had one good year at Port before becoming s**t so lets call it a one season wonder tie
Matthew Burton - i actually forgot about Spider Burton yep you guys did turn him into a player after WCE couldnt ...

so even by your own admission if we were to agree that your list of players improved (and i dont agree maybe others do who knows) the vast majority of them were from 2 decades ago and the ones that were in the recent history are borderline

Lyons functioned pretty well at Adelaide previously. If Adams and McCarthy stay fit, they are probably both best 22.

The development of our youngsters will determine what level we play at next season.

Unfortunately, Adams is made of biscuits. Good player, but perhaps the change of medical and strength and conditioning teams will do him good.

as for Hamling he was on track to be one of the best backmen in the comp at the dogs in their flag year but he has not come close to that as yet at freo ...

Not even dogs supporters would say that. Hamling played 12 AFL games in 2016 and just found himself in the team at the right time. Then benefited greatly from buddy rolling his ankle early in the grand final

A class defender ... he was chucked in defence because he was woeful as a forward and was thrown there as an alternative of getting dropped .. he did well as a backman but really hit his straps back at Collingwood where he was one of the best defenders in the AFL ... Pavlich played 74 matches under Lyon out of 353 career games Lyon didnt prolong his career the fact he was a fantastic player allowed him to have a long carreer same with Mundy not because of Lyons game plan ... but hey if you want to credit Ross for that so be it ...
the question is do you feel if with these new players brought in by Freo if they dont make finals with this list that Ross is the man to take you to further ? the list you have built on paper is fine the question is (and i guess we will see in 2019) can Ross coach a team thats good on paper to be good on the field

Facts mean nothing to you, youre not worth wasting breathe on

Peter Mann - to be fair i dont remember his North Melbourne days as i was 9 years old then but i do remember him in the last few years of his career at freo and he was fairly poor easily your worst captain you have had in your clubs history
Stephen O’Reilly - Again a little before my time i do remember him playing in the 94 g/f against geelong but to be honest the most memorable thing i recall about him was that you guys ripped Carlton off big time in trading him to them
Dale Kickett - ill give you that 5th club was a charm for him
Jason Norrish - who ??? seriosly i cant remembr him as a player i googled him and i still have no idea .. so yeah maybe he improved with you guys but he is hardly a glowing endorsment of Freo turning a spud into gold
Adrian Fletcher - far out we are really digging deep into the archives how bout we stick to players who didnt play in the 80's ...
Troy Cook - agree he was a spud before he came to Freo and became a serviceable player at freo
Peter Bell - not even close he was fantastic at North in their flag winning years he was a good footballer for Freo but his prime was in blue and white
Bradley Hill - Really ... honestly you rate his Freo seasons stronger than his Hawthorn years? i reckon Hill himself would say he hasnt lived up to expectation as yet
Matthew Carr - was fairly average at St Kilda and continued to be so at Freo hardly an improvment to hang your hat on
Luke McPharlin - yep easily the most improvment from a freo player coming from another club
Danyle Pearce - he had one good season at freo before becoming s**t ... he also had one good year at Port before becoming s**t so lets call it a one season wonder tie
Matthew Burton - i actually forgot about Spider Burton yep you guys did turn him into a player after WCE couldnt ...

so even by your own admission if we were to agree that your list of players improved (and i dont agree maybe others do who knows) the vast majority of them were from 2 decades ago and the ones that were in the recent history are borderline
What exactly are you trying to prove here bringing up players from a decade ago?

Of the recruits that have made a difference?

Bradley Hill - One a best and fairest in his first year, injury wiped out most of last year for him. Your point about him not being as damaging as when he played at Hawks. Have you followed football much. How often do you see outside wingers do well in poor sides... of course he was better at Hawks, they were a much better side. As Freo improve I imagine Brad's output will improve. Overall he's still been good since coming in.

Hamling - Is probably our most important defender - No he's not in any conversation for best defender in the AFL but he has been remarkably consistent for us. When we improve as a side and our backline doesn't get absolutely smashed with i50's I think he'll be seen in quite a positive light by the rest of the AFL.

Nathan Wilson - Has improved since his time at GWS (Or at least his stats have) - Our lack of forward ability to finish off might have hid his good work but he was excellent for us.

So 3 players entrenched in our B22 while Kersten, Matera, McCarthy, Bennell all have failed to deliver. But looking at how little we gave up for all these players I think we've done quite well. We'll see how Hogan, Lobb, Conca and Coyler go this year.

Or was all this about deflection? Of you first 9 games next year, how many wins do you see Saints winning?

Did you go to the Freo v Saints game last year? No Walters, no Stephen Hill, no Brad Hill, no Nathan Wilson, No Tabs, McCarthy was leading our forward line and we still beat you by 5 goals. And we had the younger and more inexperienced lineup.

Do you see Saints finishing higher than any of the other teams in the poll?

Last edited:
What exactly are you trying to prove here bringing up players from a decade ago?

Of the recruits that have made a difference?

Bradley Hill - One a best and fairest in his first year, injury wiped out most of last year for him. Your point about him not being as damaging as when he played at Hawks. Have you followed football much. How often do you see outside wingers do well in poor sides... of course he was better at Hawks, they were a much better side. As Freo improve I imagine Brad's output will improve. Overall he's still been good since coming in.

Hamling - Is probably our most important defender - No he's not in any conversation for best defender in the AFL but he has been remarkably consistent for us. When we improve as a side and our backline doesn't get absolutely smashed with i50's I think he'll be seen in quite a positive light by the rest of the AFL.

Nathan Wilson - Has improved since his time at GWS (Or at least his stats have) - Our lack of forward ability to finish off might have hid his good work but he was excellent for us.

So 3 players entrenched in our B22 while Kersten, Matera, McCarthy, Bennell all have failed to deliver. But looking at how little we gave up for all these players I think we've done quite well. We'll see how Hogan, Lobb, Conca and Coyler go this year.

Or was all this about deflection? Of you first 9 games next year, how many wins do you see Saints winning?

Did you go to the Freo v Saints game last year? No Walters, no Stephen Hill, no Brad Hill, no Nathan Wilson, No Tabs, McCarthy was leading our forward line and we still beat you by 5 goals. And we had the younger and more inexperienced lineup.

Do you see Saints finishing higher than any of the other teams in the poll?
re read the post you quoted of mine ... it was your Freo friend Clems Knee that mentioned the players from the early 90's not me ... all i did was give my opinion on the players he named ...
as for your other point im happy to debate if Brad hill is better now or was better at hawthorn i think he was better at hawthorn you Freo fans think he is a better player now with you .. i think most neutral fans will side with me that his best footy was in brown and gold ... but hey thats possibly a topic worth discussing on a footy forum ..
as for hamling i rated him at the dogs and i thought when you guys got him it was a great pick up as he was showing signs of becoming a great player but since being at Freo that never happend you could argue that had he stayed at the dogs he would have also stagnated but the fact remains he hasnt exactly reached that potential as yet (there is still time though)
as for Wilson i already stated its too early to really tell on him ..

i do find the comment of deflection quiet funny honestly if you want to talk about the sints then fine im more than happy too .. the first 9 games i reckon we will be lucky to have 2 wins on the board to be honest theres also a strong chance if we start the year like we started 2018 we may be 0-9 ..

and yes i did go to the Saints Freo game .. not really one for the archives with both teams really not showing off any classy play.. yeah you guys were missing players .. so were St Kilda infact our best performing player in that game was knocked out by fyfes knee in the second qtr so didnt play any of the second half ... also our woeful goal kicking snuffed out any chance of a come back with our maing goal target Membrey kicking 1goal 5 ... you beat us fair and square but considering we won only 4 games last year its hardly anything to crow about ..

as per the poll the only team i have us infront of is possibly Brisbane but thats being perhaps optimistic , we will hopefully improve in 2019 and we can say 2018 was just a poor year but realistically we will prob be about the same mark ...
but i dont think you or any of your freo friends care about that at all , it might be worth looking back at the original post that got your fellow Freo fans all triggered.. my comment was that Freo on paper should finish higher given the list they have built but as you do have a history of players being brought in not quite living up to expectation its still to be seen how much that does help you climb the ladder especially with Ross Lyon as a coach , thats not a dig at Freo or Ross but Ross is known to be a defence centric coach so the improvments made to your forward line should be interesting to see how Ross works that into his game plan ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suggesting Hamling has stagnated or gone backwards at Freo is ignorant and wrong. It doesn't surprise me that he has kicked on, he ended 2016 really well but he played a fair bit of VFL in both years at the Dogs. 2017 was the first really strong full season he put together.

Suggesting Hamling has stagnated or gone backwards at Freo is ignorant and wrong. It doesn't surprise me that he has kicked on, he ended 2016 really well but he played a fair bit of VFL in both years at the Dogs. 2017 was the first really strong full season he put together.
Nah you're wrong st travvy knows better

he certainly did end 2016 strong and that why i (and i dont think im alone in this thought) thought he was ready for a break out season after the way he finished 2016 ..but in my opinion he has not as yet hit those straps

Nah you're wrong st travvy knows better
its an opinion ... you are welcome to discuss it and put forward your point of veiw or you can act like a pissy 4 yearold because my opinion differs to yours ...
at least when i have an opinion on something i give a reason for that opinion (rightly or wrongly in your mind) you Freo folk though seem to get very defensive aand quick to discount my opinion but dont give any basis for the belief that my opinion is wrong .... are you Freo folk that thin skinned that you cant even take discussion without gettin triggered ??

he certainly did end 2016 strong and that why i (and i dont think im alone in this thought) thought he was ready for a break out season after the way he finished 2016 ..but in my opinion he has not as yet hit those straps

That’s ok, your opinions are worth Shiite

But that’s just my opinion

its an opinion ... you are welcome to discuss it and put forward your point of veiw or you can act like a pissy 4 yearold because my opinion differs to yours ...
at least when i have an opinion on something i give a reason for that opinion (rightly or wrongly in your mind) you Freo folk though seem to get very defensive aand quick to discount my opinion but dont give any basis for the belief that my opinion is wrong .... are you Freo folk that thin skinned that you cant even take discussion without gettin triggered ??
I assume this guys deflecto?

Well in relation to these 4 teams all of freo, brisand dogs have some significant upside in their lists going forward but also still some serious question marks that need answering before we get a more definitive view of them.

The only team I’m absolutely sure on is St Kilda... , their coach is laughable and their list is rubbish,now and foreseeable future.

All 3 teams mentioned above are miles in front of them , for next year and ensuring years .. both on field and off.

Saints Going absolutely nowhere, it’s Melbourne mk2 rebuild of the rebuild and still .. then some more finishing work.

A little further = “daylight” in this instance.
Nah not particularly. I don’t think the Saints are as bad as their performances this year made them look, and I’ve built in a bit of improvement in the Dockers on the back of their draft and trade periods. Should that not come to fruition I probably have the Saints and Dockers about level pegging.

Back