Sam Jacobs

Remove this Banner Ad

240volt i disagree, our midfield isnt crap. we are also apart from the top in the competition though. lots of talent there. missing gray, hartlett hurt us though and we need to add 2 more very good midfielders to the lot we have to put us in the top bracket and help cover if we lose mids like gray and hartlett in the future.

cassisi, boak, salopek on ball,

pearce, hartlett on the wing. thats a good group there,

gray , rodan, broadbent, cornes, rotating through. obviously 3 players there that can have injury problems, should find 3 to have on our list too add to our team/ cover injuries. ild think we would find at least one out of our list of moore/ pittard/ banner/ m.motlop. need to add 2 through draft/trade in next 2 years to get us up a level , not to forget the continued improvement of alot of the young kids there.

boak is elite and young, hartlett elite talent injury prone, sal very good injury prone, pearce very very good, cassisi very very good still only 26 i think. gray superfreaky talent injury prone. ild say any of those players could fit into any team in the comp. even geelong, all those ild think would be better than byrnes who is a regular in their line up.

very good kids there obviously the knock being 3 injury prone kids, just add more talent to cover them. gray can be the icing on the cake.

Our midfield is our biggest weakness now. Until Cassisi and Kornes are fifth and sixth best amongst our midfielders in terms of consistency and quality, we will have a mediocre midfield. Based on tonight's B&F (a shaky reference point I know), they are ranked first and fourth amongst our midfielders. We desperately need Boak, Gray, Hartlett, Pearce to supercede them and then some.

Agree that we are two very good midfielders short of where we need to be.

No you shouldn't. That would be poor list management. Adelaide and Port don't have talls to give you unless you want to see Sellar or Mckernan in Blues colours. You can draft a player you need with the pick you get from Jacobs anyway.

I also see a lot of Carlton supporters saying they should get rid of Hampson instead of Jacobs, that would probably be poor list management too. Jacobs is a lumbering ruckman, Hampson is far more versatile and is a perfect tall depth player. Jacobs would probably get you a higher pick in a trade too.

The glaring weaknesses in our side are this:

CHB: Possible solution Mark Austin. Missed most of the year with injury, may not be up to it. We wanted McGuire last year to fill this void, unfortunately Brisbane took him. Tarrant seems to be the one on the Market for this role.

HBF: We need a classy ball user coming out of defense so it allows Gibbs to go into the middle, Chris Johnson was recruited for this role but he seems to choke under pressure.

Inside mid: Mclean, Hadley both recruited to solve this issue and both failed to do it well. I hope Mclean can step up but as it stands this is stopping us going forward.

Defensive forward: Hoops played this roll well but he is getting on a bit and we clearly struggled without him. Walker was given it last week and kicked 3 goals though so it may not be an issue.

If we are going to trade Jacobs who even though he lacks the versatility of most rucks is still one of the top 5 tap ruckmen in the comp, I would want a player that fills one of these voids in our side even if it meant Jacobs + pick X for player Y.

The way I see our rucks its 2 in the side (Kreuzer or Hampson) + (Warnock or Jacobs), 2 from the same group should not be played together because it will throw out team balance.

Hampson is from the GC and is a marketing dream for the side up there, they can't exactly throw some under 18's kid in the ruck and expect it to go well so they must surely chase one.

He has a lot more upside then Jacobs true but he will never have a spot in our side unless Kruezer becomes a CHF/FF, with the picks the GC have they would be mad not to throw a 1st round pick at us for him.

Simply put Hampson has the greater trade value and has less chance of getting into our best 22, if both Warnock + Kruezer went down with injury Jacobs could carry the ruck alone, Hampson can't.

----------------------

Hopefully that explains why you have seen a lot of us more keen to get rid of Hampson over Jacobs.

As for poor list management, it would be poor list management to trade jacobs for a small forward/outside mid.

davis 756 said:
HBF: We need a classy ball user coming out of defense so it allows Gibbs to go into the middle, Chris Johnson was recruited for this role but he seems to choke under pressure.

Inside mid: Mclean, Hadley both recruited to solve this issue and both failed to do it well. I hope Mclean can step up but as it stands this is stopping us going forward

If Salopek decides to leave, he can fill both of these holes depending on match-ups.

49 Effective Hitouts, includng one marvelous thump over his shoulder onto a running midfielder, sending him straight into goal, in the VFL yesterday. Probably BOG. Dominated

Saw that on TV.

Was massive.

Trying to work out what you fixed?

You have calrton getting Jacobs not Tarrant, I don't mind that deal though.

Poor Freeo.

I wouldn't throw a pick in though, all equal for different reasons.

I think Jacobs may end up in SA. I doubt it will be at Port.

I think the days of the Lumbering ruck are nearly over. If Jacobs fits that mould.

With the AFl intent on having continous play and 4 boundary umpires, this type of ruck will get exposed. Unless they can fill a dual role.

Hence Port trying to go with an athletic Trengove.

I would suggest if we got Jacobs, who would people want to drop out of Stewart, Westhoff or Trengove? surely one would have to go

I think the days of the Lumbering ruck are nearly over. If Jacobs fits that mould.

With the AFl intent on having continous play and 4 boundary umpires, this type of ruck will get exposed. Unless they can fill a dual role.

Hence Port trying to go with an athletic Trengove.

I would suggest if we got Jacobs, who would people want to drop out of Stewart, Westhoff or Trengove? surely one would have to go

Which is why he won't end up at Port. That, along with the fact we have Lobbe, Bass and Redden as our developing ruckmen.

I agree- the future seems to be one genuine ruck and tall utilites in a supporting role as the game gets even faster........while interchanges get capped:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we could assume that next year may be Brogan's last so Jacobs would have a role, whether it's being the 2nd ruck, being the fill in ruck for when Broges gets hurt, or playing in the 2s until Broges retires.

I think we could assume that next year may be Brogan's last so Jacobs would have a role, whether it's being the 2nd ruck, being the fill in ruck for when Broges gets hurt, or playing in the 2s until Broges retires.

Why come back to Port then?

Because Kreuzer and Warnock won't retire next year or the year after.

A year is a long time and anything can happen. If that was pitched to me I would come home, because I thought Brogan showed he may have more than a year left personally. His run home was very good.

Rohde has reiterated that we are not having a crack.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/102667/default.aspx

Rohde said the club would not be an active player during the trade period, and also refuted suggestions Port had a strong interest in luring Carlton big man Sam Jacobs to the club.

“Everyone seems to think we have [an interest], but we’re happy with the young ruckmen we’ve got,” he said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/102667/default.aspx

Remove this Banner Ad

Back