Sam Jacobs

Remove this Banner Ad

yep lets not look to improve our list
someone give Rohde a pay rise
Given I've qualified my appreciation for Peter Rohde, what he's said is flatly ridiculous. What he should have said is "we're definitely interested in acquiring the services of Sam Jacobs. He's an up and coming ruck man with All Australian potential". It doesn't matter if we are or aren't interested in him. Provide the enemy with the perception that you may be.

Being the strategic thinker that he is, it never occurred to Rohde that if Jacobs is intent on returning to South Australia, Adelaide might be able to get him in a more attractive deal compared to a bidding war between Port Adelaide and Adelaide. Don't worry about driving his price up Peter.

Naturally, the Rohde crew will jump in and come out saying he's doing a Theo Epstein and not showing his hand publicly with the intention of signing John Lackey away from the Angels to the Red Sox on the quiet. I don't have that faith in our Football Manager.

Not to reassuring considering we arnt in the best of shape. Maybe we just can't afford anyone. Or playing for an Adelaide team isn't much of a turn on.
A lot of players are just happy to stay at the club they've been drafted to. Jay Schulz is the highest profile player to come back to Adelaide in a long time. I don't think our money problems have stopped us from luring a big fish here instead of the Crows... yet.

yep lets not look to improve our list
someone give Rohde a pay rise
How do you know Jacobs won't turn out to be extremely average or that we won't be picking up a SANFL ruck with pick 167 instead?

Yea, I think we need to pick up a good honest ruck at some point, just as a back up even, but I really don't care if it is Jacobs or someone I've never heard of.

I watched the game he played v the Swans and he looks like a good tap ruck but I still have no idea about his tank and his disposal, do you?

A lot of players are just happy to stay at the club they've been drafted to. Jay Schulz is the highest profile player to come back to Adelaide in a long time. I don't think our money problems have stopped us from luring a big fish here instead of the Crows... yet.

How do you know Jacobs won't turn out to be extremely average or that we won't be picking up a SANFL ruck with pick 167 instead?

Yea, I think we need to pick up a good honest ruck at some point, just as a back up even, but I really don't care if it is Jacobs or someone I've never heard of.

I watched the game he played v the Swans and he looks like a good tap ruck but I still have no idea about his tank and his disposal, do you?

Jacobs is in the top 5 tap ruckman in the comp, his around the ground mobility isn't that of the athletic type rucks but he can go forward and kick a goal.

He knows his limitations very well so you never see him turning the ball over stupidly and he actually had 15 touches in that Sydney final which was 6-10 more then Mumford/Pyke.

The best thing about Jacobs is he always gives 110% be it vs geelong or richmond or in the VFL.

He is not far off being at Brogan's level, he averages 2 less possesions/hitouts per game but he does average 1 tackle per game more so he is always doing the team thing.

Not always a bad thing.

Apart from Griffen who is staying at the Bulldogs, there weren't any big names being floated around. If Jacobs was our ruck saviour we'd definitely be looking at him, so I'm guessing he aint.

No trades beats bringing in more Richmond players.

strike rate with richmond recycles is fairly good so why the dig at the club?

rodan is a starting 18 player, and schulz won the leading goal kicker award in his first season, meyers also a depth player...

Given I've qualified my appreciation for Peter Rohde, what he's said is flatly ridiculous. What he should have said is "we're definitely interested in acquiring the services of Sam Jacobs. He's an up and coming ruck man with All Australian potential". It doesn't matter if we are or aren't interested in him. Provide the enemy with the perception that you may be.

Being the strategic thinker that he is, it never occurred to Rohde that if Jacobs is intent on returning to South Australia, Adelaide might be able to get him in a more attractive deal compared to a bidding war between Port Adelaide and Adelaide. Don't worry about driving his price up Peter.

Naturally, the Rohde crew will jump in and come out saying he's doing a Theo Epstein and not showing his hand publicly with the intention of signing John Lackey away from the Angels to the Red Sox on the quiet. I don't have that faith in our Football Manager.

Maybe he wants the crowbots to put in a rubbish bid & we top them?

Who knows

Maybe he wants the crowbots to put in a rubbish bid & we top them?

Who knows
Given Sam Jacobs recent form in the finals and subsequent VFL performances, I would disagree. Rohde isn't a strategic thinker and would be best served grading primary school phys ed students.

Jacobs is in the top 5 tap ruckman in the comp, his around the ground mobility isn't that of the athletic type rucks but he can go forward and kick a goal.

He is not far off being at Brogan's level, he averages 2 less possesions/hitouts per game but he does average 1 tackle per game more so he is always doing the team thing.

i was gonna list all the ruckmen that are better than jacobs, but you will just come back and say that you meant jacobs is just better than them as a "tap" ruckman. so as long as we just bring him on for the bounces then straight off the ground hey? saying he is top 5 is pretty ridiculous. even for tap im sure we can go round and say sandilands, cox, nicnat, leuernbuerger, jolly are all killer tap rucks.. even hille, goldstein, macintosh, im sure there are lots more, even after that tap what about mumford, hudson?

bullshit, he is nowhere near brogan, whose ability to step up and carry a team is way above any skill he has. brogan has an ability you wont find on any stat sheet. again stop trying to tell us this kid you're trying to get rid of is killer, we know he is doing pretty well, no doubt, stop overselling him on here.

i was gonna list all the ruckmen that are better than jacobs, but you will just come back and say that you meant jacobs is just better than them as a "tap" ruckman. so as long as we just bring him on for the bounces then straight off the ground hey? saying he is top 5 is pretty ridiculous. even for tap im sure we can go round and say sandilands, cox, nicnat, leuernbuerger, jolly are all killer tap rucks.. even hille, goldstein, macintosh, im sure there are lots more, even after that tap what about mumford, hudson?

Well out of these guys we know how well he played against Mumford, he well and truly beat Hudson, got the most hit outs in the game against the Kangaroos, was very good against Leuenberger and equalled him for hit outs and did very well against Jolly. West Coast beat us in the ruck that game no doubt and he was unsurprisingly beaten by Sandlilands but still managed 20 hit outs and yes, more than held his own against the great Brogan which is a pretty fair effort for such a young ruckman. Quit under rating him.

I share wapower's view on Peter Rohde and don't want to get in another sh*tifght with the ardent Rohde defenders, over the "hunches" of our respective camps on his level of competence.

Needless-to-say, this is one year where I'd like to see us trade if possible. I hope this is a rare case of him trying to be shrewd by sending out some mistruths via the media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is being reported that Knights is staying with the crows, so their bargaining chips are decreasing, especially if they are also hot on the trail of Andrew Walker (who as Andrew Capel illuminatingly advised this morning, has the same surname as Taylor Walker ... :rolleyes: ... controversially perhaps ;)).

It is being reported that Knights is staying with the crows, so their bargaining chips are decreasing, especially if they are also hot on the trail of Andrew Walker (who as Andrew Capel illuminatingly advised this morning, has the same surname as Taylor Walker ... :rolleyes: ... controversially perhaps ;)).

Are either of them related to The Phantom :D - now that would be a story.

sin.. do you rate him as one of the top 5 ruckmen?

and, when i have said he is young and doing quite well, you would consider that under-rating him?

ive said it numerous times, he is doing fine, young and doing what you need him to do at this stage. far from being a star, i just think that alot of people have been over-rating him on here. you do realise that 50% of carlton posters have said he is worth our 1st round pick, 40% have said close to our 1st pick maybe in teens or low 20's. and 10% have asked for our 1st round pick and jackson trengove/steven salopek. its a bit ridiculous.

you guys paid pick 24 for warnock, who you guys were dead keen on, and supporters of all teams seem to agree that you guys over paid on that one. jolly, as a gun ruckman, was traded for pick 16 for a team that saw him as a chance to win a premiership. wood for pick 14 and we know that was a screw up by the desperate pies. mumford for pick 33. he was pretty highly rated, i know you like how jacobs played against him ( mumford was dubious about being played that game as he had a knock to his knee that week. i dont know whether that affected him or not), but do you think his year has been as good as mumfords? i dont think so.

you can see why i disagree with how some people are rating jacobs as an out and out gun, and dont really mind if we get him but probably prefer to stick with young guys on our list, unless jacobs come at a reasonable price. and to suggest that anything below pick 25 for jacobs is fair value on our part seems silly to me.

You know, I reckon Rohde could be doing a Theo Epstein and not showing his hand publicly. :)
Theo Epstein never made it public knowledge that the Red Sox were entertaining the thought of even pursuing John Lackey. Peter Rohde has a track record of sharing Port Adelaide's intentions with the greater media since he's been here. I don't mind him doing that as long as it drives up the price of a player for the opposition.

It's my preference that the media department gets a hold of everyone who presents to the media to stop bandying the "we're financially constrained or we don't have this or that" commentary either. Tell us what you do have. New facilities, a bright future and a partridge in a pear tree instead.

Given Sam Jacobs recent form in the finals and subsequent VFL performances, I would disagree. Rohde isn't a strategic thinker and would be best served grading primary school phys ed students.
Maybe, just maybe, his comments came after discussion with our coaching staff and the head of recruiting regarding where our squad is at and when we are likely to be challenging for a flag ie when we have a large number of players in the mid twenties age group and with 130 plus games under their belts.

Maybe, just maybe, it was decided that the strategic thing to do would be to develop our young ruckmen and use our trading/ drafting capital to address other areas of need. :)

You know, I reckon Rohde could be doing a Juan Luis Pedro Philoppo DeHuevos EPSTEIN and not showing his hand publicly. :)

Or he'll keep going up to Matty saying, "Hey, Mr Primus, I got a note"

Most will be waaay to young to know what the hell i'm on about here:eek:

Quit under rating him.
We aren't. Great tap ruck who doesn't have the tank to go with his opponent. He'll break even and sometimes beat other dinosaur tap rucks, but guys like Cox, Sandi, Kreuzer, Jolly etc. Will kill him around the ground.

Probably worth a pick between 25-35.

strike rate with richmond recycles is fairly good so why the dig at the club?

rodan is a starting 18 player, and schulz won the leading goal kicker award in his first season, meyers also a depth player...
We traded for Schulz and Meyer, Schulz has turned out ok but at the time they just seemed like nothing trades. Trades for the sake of trading.

I'd rather we didn't do any more of it because our luck will disappear at some point and we'll end up on the wrong side of one of those trades. And it's not like we need more "depth" players.

Or he'll keep going up to Matty saying, "Hey, Mr Primus, I got a note"

Most will be waaay to young to know what the hell i'm on about here:eek:
They just don't make them like they used to Jumbo! Vinnie Barbarino and Boom Boom are eternal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back