• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
After watching the Bendigo game yesterday and the AFL game last night, we really do lack that last inside/outside onaballer, similar to Zaka.
Having looked through our side it seems that only one of these two can be in the side at anyone time.

Just for arguments sake, here are some stats to ponder over

averages
Ben Howlett (Sam Lonergan)
kicks: 9.9 (7.8)
handballs 9.6 (7.0)
disposals 19.5 (14.8)
Marks 3.1 (2.0)
Tackles 7.6 (6.8)
Inside 50's 3.6 (3.0)
Goals contributed 1.0 (0.8)

Both have kicked 3 goals, both are that inside bullocking player, but I feel Howlett is the more rounded midfielder that can bring more to the table, whilst Sammy could be the weak link.

(edit: just for the record, I wouldnt change the side at all, in fact I am enjoying seeing both these boys go about there business each week , just curious to know who people would prefer in the side more.

I don't think Lonergan vs Howlett is the issue.

It is whether Watson-Hocking-Lonergan is too much for a midfield combination.

Howlett lays, enough tackles and wins enough clearances to hold his own against Lonergan (in particular) but he can also run with the ball.

Sam lays almost the same amount of tackles and wins more clearances. Their stats across the board are really even, just Benny finds more outside ball. Both are real keys to our season, if forced to take one it would be Howlett. As for a Watson-Hocking-Lonergan midfield combo too much, you're living in the past, Watson and Hocking are more than capable of playing on the outside.

For those wanting a look.

http://www.afl.com.au/stats/tabid/73/default.aspx#page=player&teamid=37

Sam lays almost the same amount of tackles and wins more clearances. Their stats across the board are really even, just Benny finds more outside ball. Both are real keys to our season, if forced to take one it would be Howlett. As for a Watson-Hocking-Lonergan midfield combo too much, you're living in the past, Watson and Hocking are more than capable of playing on the outside.

For those wanting a look.

http://www.afl.com.au/stats/tabid/73/default.aspx#page=player&teamid=37
The difference between the clearances is 0.9. Sam get's 1 more clearance per game. Big deal. Ben gets more kicks, handballs, marks and tackles than Sam, and have the same amount of Goal Assists per game, and only trails in Goals and clearances.

Howlett by the length of Bass Straight

The difference between the clearances is 0.9. Sam get's 1 more clearance per game. Big deal. Ben gets more kicks, handballs, marks and tackles than Sam, and have the same amount of Goal Assists per game, and only trails in Goals and clearances.

Howlett by the length of Bass Straight

Are you stupid? I said their stats are really even across the board. Simply mentioned one of the stats Sam is ahead in because everyone feels the need to mention those where Ben is ahead, such as the whopping 0.8 tackles per game. I said I'd take Howlett, but Sam is still being undersold in this thread. Leave the s**t 'by the length of some s**t' for the bay.

Are you stupid? I said their stats are really even across the board. Simply mentioned one of the stats Sam is ahead in because everyone feels the need to mention those where Ben is ahead, such as the whopping 0.8 tackles per game.
Mate, Ben is ahead. Sam beats him in clearances. Get's a whopping 0.1 more goals per game. Ben concedes 0.5 more frees. Ben gets 2.1 more kicks, 2.6 more handballs, 1.1 more marks, and all the other stats are even. Ben is ahead

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id have Lonergan easily ahead. Howlett may be more consistant but Lonergans best is better and hes more capable of dominating clearnaces than Howlett which are a key in todays game. Lonergans had a few BOG's where as howlett consistantly plays well and is 4th or 5th best but never in our top 2 players. Neither will be dropped any time soon.

If some inside midfielder was in ripping form in the VFL, Lonergan's probably the one I'd have make way. Howlett just has a bit more class and has some ability to burst away from the pack.

I'm more worried about where Hocking is at the moment. The media keeps talking him up as this great tagger, but I'm just not seeing it. He was at his best over the last couple of years when he was trying to play more of a positive game. Davis probably got injured at the wrong time.

If some inside midfielder was in ripping form in the VFL, Lonergan's probably the one I'd have make way. Howlett just has a bit more class and has some ability to burst away from the pack.

I'm more worried about where Hocking is at the moment. The media keeps talking him up as this great tagger, but I'm just not seeing it. He was at his best over the last couple of years when he was trying to play more of a positive game. Davis probably got injured at the wrong time.

totally agree on hocking. Loners and Howlett both doing their jobs - Hocking not having the same impact as 2011 - might be carrying an injury..??

Back