Teams San Francisco 49ers - The Niners

Remove this Banner Ad

The San Jose Mercury News reports the 49ers are reportedly using third overall pick Trey Lance in an array of zone reads and designed runs.
One day after coach Kyle Shanahan said Lance would not get any first-team reps during training camp, the rookie lined up under center with the starters for at least one rep. Reports out of San Francisco indicate the team has dialed up a host of run plays for Lance, a welcome sign for fantasy owners who have identified the 21-year-old phenom as a potential sleeper. Lance is supposedly killing it at training camp, and it looks like it's becoming a real battle between him and veteran Jimmy Garoppolo

The San Jose Mercury News reports the 49ers are reportedly using third overall pick Trey Lance in an array of zone reads and designed runs.
One day after coach Kyle Shanahan said Lance would not get any first-team reps during training camp, the rookie lined up under center with the starters for at least one rep. Reports out of San Francisco indicate the team has dialed up a host of run plays for Lance, a welcome sign for fantasy owners who have identified the 21-year-old phenom as a potential sleeper. Lance is supposedly killing it at training camp, and it looks like it's becoming a real battle between him and veteran Jimmy Garoppolo

I'd hate to see the team give up 3 1st rounders for a zone option gadget QB...thinking this observation is more to contrast plays that Lance is able to make that Jimmy wouldn't have in his kit bag.

I'd hate to see the team give up 3 1st rounders for a zone option gadget QB...thinking this observation is more to contrast plays that Lance is able to make that Jimmy wouldn't have in his kit bag.

They probably just giving him a taste of things. Kyle probably excited also to play with his new toy, doing some different things to what he'd normally be able to with Jimmy like you said.

They probably just giving him a taste of things. Kyle probably excited also to play with his new toy, doing some different things to what he'd normally be able to with Jimmy like you said.

Whilst Jimmy is notorious for at least one WTF play per game he is even worse in training camp. There will be a step up on game day from Jimmy, let's hope the same can be said for Lance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll take a little from Lance being all that we hope and a little from the 49ers secondary unit being basically a bunch of retreads, rookies and UDFAs at this stage.
Still encouraging that every news bit of him hes always improving, getting better. Fast learner. Tho itll be good for him to have some struggles, adversity.

Still encouraging that every news bit of him hes always improving, getting better. Fast learner. Tho itll be good for him to have some struggles, adversity.

Absolutely. I follow 49ers beat writer Matt Maiocco a bit because he has been following the 49ers for a long time and since predates social media doesn't make comments just to drive clicks.

When he says "There is no question that Trey Lance is the best QB or best looking player on the field" fully knowing that guys like Warner, Kittle, Williams, Verrett, Bosa are sharing the same field then you have to start to appreciate it isn't hype driven.

Did any other team draft a QB this Spring?

Yes, Lawrence sucks, Wilson is excelling, Fields promising, Jones promising, Trask sucks, Mond on his death bed, Mills not much of mention due to the Watson circus in Houston.

All rookie offensive skill position hype train team

QB Lance, Wilson
RB Harris, Etienne, Williams, Carter
WR Devonta Smith, Elijah Moore, Jaylen Waddle
TE Kyle Pitts, Kyle Granson

I did call this saying it would be far sooner than everyone thinks. Lance will go off this year. His second year is where we will find out more, when defensive minds have had a chance to get a proper look at him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back