Club History Scott Hodges - It's Not All Black & White

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finished. Chapeau to Scott for bringing the issue of mental illness to the fore by documenting his struggles and putting all that in the public domain. He even goes as far as allowing his doctor to discuss his diagnosis and treatment (which to me was the really defining chapter of the book). Can almost forgive the fact he's a Collingwood supporter and the references to "Port Power" :D.

Pretty much unputdownable even if you're not a Port fan. Go get a copy if you don't already have it. And thumbs up too to KT and Kochie for the "Scott Hodges end" at Alberton.

He even has kind words for Graham Cornes - who also wrote the forward. Now my only understanding of GC is through the pages of this forum, so is it unreasonable for my view to be, umm, different? And why wasn't Jack Cahill the first coach of the Crows?

(PS if any of our overseas/remote fans have trouble sourcing a copy or ebook, i'm sure the brains trust here could rustle up a few copies and send them on.)

Scott Hodges may have had mental demons off the field, but he didn't have them on the field too often. When the heat was on, he could do his job, kick set shot goals from any angle. He had confidence in his ability. I think most of our forwards are the opposite to Scott, no mental demons off the field but plenty on field.

Unfortunately its something that can't be taught. You either have it or you don't. You can work on it to improve your mental strengths or reduce your demons but you can't eliminate them.

Takes me way back when it was a criminal offence to attempt to commit suicide. I can't quite recall the regulations relating to the legislation but it would rate as the most stupid and grossly insensitive legislation ever written.

I think it was in the Criminal Law Consolidation Act.
Surely as a deterrent to people attempting to commit suicide the death penalty should have applied. :rolleyes:

Scott Hodges may have had mental demons off the field, but he didn't have them on the field too often. When the heat was on, he could do his job, kick set shot goals from any angle. He had confidence in his ability. I think most of our forwards are the opposite to Scott, no mental demons off the field but plenty on field.

Unfortunately its something that can't be taught. You either have it or you don't. You can work on it to improve your mental strengths or reduce your demons but you can't eliminate them.
Yep you just knew if we needed a goal and scotty was lining up goal 9 out of 10 times. Wish we had someone like that now.

Takes me way back when it was a criminal offence to attempt to commit suicide. I can't quite recall the regulations relating to the legislation but it would rate as the most stupid and grossly insensitive legislation ever written.

I think it was in the Criminal Law Consolidation Act.
And that stupid Victorian era thinking and laws is why Tom Wills was effectively written out of the history of Australian Football for over a century. He was just a footnote when what he achieved in footy and life should have been celebrated over that century. Thankfully the last 15 years or so that has started to be corrected.

Just finished. Have never been one for bio's, but enjoyed this, if that is the right words. I was 5 in 94, what a day.
Chapter 18 makes this an insightful read for all.

Any chance of another signing day?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back