Scott Pendlebury - Standing in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Blah, blah, blah... Dusty better in finals (than Pendlebury). The end.
This is definitely the common view - but as those of us who have watched the great players over multiple decades have always said - the great players generally also have great finals records.

Let's rank each of the finals played by Martin and Pendlebury. You can argue the toss about a particular final being a position or two higher (or lower), but the cold hard facts are - their respective finals performances are distributed quite evenly.

And this is before you take into account that ALL of Martin's best 9 finals were played when he was between 26 and 29 years of age. Conversely, Pendlebury did not play any finals between the ages of 26 and 29 (and played a single final when he was 25).

The analysis is very interesting....

1716432712049.png
1716432762005.png

Last edited:

This is definitely the common view - but as those of us who have watched the great players over multiple decades have always said - the great players generally also have great finals records.

Let's rank each of the finals played by Martin and Pendlebury. You can argue the toss about a particular final being a position or two higher (or lower), but the cold hard facts are - their respective finals performances are distributed quite evenly.

And this is before you take into account that ALL of Martin's best 9 finals were played when he was between 26 and 29 years of age. Conversely, Pendlebury did not play any finals between the ages of 26 and 29 (and played a single final when he was 25).

The analysis is very interesting....

View attachment 1997642
View attachment 1997643

Give me an article saying Pendles is better than Dusty in finals and I’ll take it all back. (Actually even better overall)

I don’t think even you believe that he is better in finals even with your BS Fadge logic which you troll Carlton and Richmond supporters with.

Last edited:
Give me an article saying Pendles is better than Dusty in finals and I’ll take it all back. (Actually even better overall)

I don’t think even you believe that even with your BS Fadge logic which you trol Carlton and Richmond supporters with.
What of the above data do you not agree with?

I did the same with Ablett Jnr, and the results were similar - there is very little between Martin's finals performances, and the finals performances of many other greats if the game.

But I'm 'trolling' because I'm presenting facts and figures to highlight that Martin is not as Bradmanesque in finals that many of you guys make him out to be?

I did the same with Ablett Jnr, and the results were similar - there is very little between Martin's finals performances, and the finals performances of many other greats if the game.

But I'm 'trolling' because I'm presenting facts and figures to highlight that Martin is not as Bradmanesque in finals that many of you guys make him out to be?

You are ranking based on your opinion and claiming them as fact because it’s in excel spreadsheet. That’s not the same thing.

Also not bad for an apparent battler…

I think you just WANT him to be bad this season.

IMG_1060.JPG

You are ranking based on your opinion and claiming them as fact because it’s in excel spreadsheet. That’s not the same thing.

Also not bad for an apparent battler…

I think you just WANT him to be bad this season.

View attachment 1997714
Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Your boy's gone from apparently the most dominant finals performer in the history of the game, to bobbing up on an infographic indicating he has been the 6th best player so far this season for 'percentage of inside 50 kicks retained'...

LOL.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Your boy's gone from apparently the most dominant finals performer in the history of the game, to bobbing up on an infographic indicating he has been the 6th best player so far this season for 'percentage of inside 50 kicks retained'...

LOL.

At 33 years old in his twilight years being a better inside 50 player than Miers who is considered to be an AA contender because of assists and “bringing teammates into the game”

Also Pendlebury doesn’t seem to be on this list.

Now I get what Carlton supporters are saying. You literally make up what suits you. You got the conclusion first then make up the explanation. It should be the other way around. You even said it yourself.

At 33 years old in his twilight years being a better inside 50 player than Miers who is considered to be an AA contender because of assists and “bringing teammates into the game”
Hilarious.

All because of an infographic on the 'Dustin Martin Fans' Instagram page...

Oh boy.

And no, Pendlebury may not be on that page; instead he just orchestrates Grand Final victories 11 games ago with a 12 possession final quarter, continues to be one of his teams best players as a 36 year old, and continues to be one of the best on field leaders the game has seen for a team who is currently rated as second favourites for the premiership.

Meanwhile, Richmond are 17th with a solitary win (a game that Martin didn't even play in) after 10 games and Martin is listed on an infographic about forward 50 entries on a Martin fanboy page.

Hahahaha

Last edited:
Now I get what Carlton supporters are saying. You literally make up what suits you. You got the conclusion first then make up the explanation. It should be the other way around. You even said it yourself.
I've given you a considerable amount of data in the earlier post - feel free to add to that and update the order based on your perspective if you disagree with the ratings of the finals performances of Pendlebury v. Martin.

Why are we still talking about Martin ? Let's compare Pendlebury to Nick Davis , another medium forward who once carried his team in a final . Without him the Swans aren't premiers in 2005. Nick Davis GOAT?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've given you a considerable amount of data in the earlier post - feel free to add to that and update the order based on your perspective if you disagree with the ratings of the finals performances of Pendlebury v. Martin.

Dusty gets the top 3 in this order

2017: BOG, BOG, BOG

2020: N/A, BOG, BOG, BOG

2019: BOG, N/A, BOG

Yep 8/10 BOGs (with 100% NS rate, 100% Finals MVP), and it is not my opinion, these are the coaches votes and NS votes. It has never been done before and never will again.

You can squabble over the rest of the series who cares, they mean nothing.

Then Pendles 4th with 2010

I am now expecting a laugh emoji from pies/geelongs supporters, followed by an insult with no rebuttal.

Yep 8/10 BOGs (with 100% NS rate, 100% Finals MVP), and it is not my opinion, these are the coaches votes and NS votes. It has never been done before and never will again.

I am now expecting a laugh emoji from pies/geelongs supporters, followed by an insult with no rebuttal.
Disty had the best Olympiad

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Except.... Pendlebury's 2011 finals series was better than his 2010 finals series, AVERAGING 34 possessions, 5 tackles, 6 inside 50's and 7 clearances.

Is it true that Martin never had 30 possessions in a final?

Pendlebury did. 7 times. Either when he was 24 years of age or younger, or at least 30 years old...

Last edited:

All you prove again is when the snow is soft, Dusty goes ok.

2017 - F1 - 50point win. PF - 40point win. GF - 50point win
2019 - F1 - 60point win. PF - 20point win (Dusty no good) GF - 90point win
2020 - F1 lost (poor game) SF - others better. PF - Nothing special. GF - 30point win - Dusty BOG

2018 - When Richmond needed him to stand up - No where to be seen.

Dustin Martin is a down hill skier of the highest order and should not be brought up in Pendles thread again.

This is a thread to honor two decades of sustained brilliance, not someone lucky enough to be at the right place, whilst a team had a moment of success and five minutes of fame.

all the relevant comparisons between martin & pendlebury begin and end at: what have they done this year.

pendlebury has played in what, all games? give or take one or two, and consistently been a quality performer and has helped build his side onto third on the ladder.

what's dusty done? do nothing special for the team that's 17th on the ladder and lost by 219 points (or so) over the past 2 rounds. i'd take pendles over dusty currently and i think many teams would do the same

What is the criteria though? If you're not going by already standardized measures and recognized achievements/awards, the data can objectively support a summary of statistical comparisons, but rarely will two people with opposing views/biases be aligned on any subjective interpretations of it.
Especially if the data is being used to present an alternative to official achievements/awards.
3 premierships and 3 Norm Smiths from 3 grand finals is significantly better than 2 premierships from 4 GF years, and 1 Norm Smith from 5 GF matches played, respectively, unless agreeing to an alternative way of measuring. Premierships/norm smiths are tangible, and significantly outweigh any other measures you could assess a player against in terms of finals performances and results.
Not to say there aren't other ways to look at the best performed players in finals across any number of criteria, it's just that it becomes too tribal and bias centric when presented as some kind of counter to a player's record of achievements that are officially recognized as the highest honor possible within the context being argued and without anyone having agreed to the alternative criteria. It doesn't seem authentic or even all that relevant, but more of a futile attempt to convince others to agree to a subjective assessment of statistics hand picked to support a blatantly obvious team based bias.

Last edited:
If the same team played 200 games against the same team on the same ground and with the same conditions with the only difference being that for the first 100 games Pendlebury played in the team and in the second 100 games Martin played I would expect the team with Pendlebury in it to win slightly more games.

However I would expect that for the 100 games the team with Martin in it played that it would be more likely that, at the end of any given game, I’d be saying “Martin was the clear difference in he sides, without him we lose that game.”

This is not to call Martin a show pony - he nothing like that. It’s more to say that his top end can be devastating and can overwhelm teams in a matter of minutes. He reminds me of Carey in that regard - I remember plenty of games in the mid-90s where Carey would decide “Nah - I don’t feel like losing today” and that was it game over.

I’m not sure why people are so caught up in deciding who is better when the two of them play similar positions but coached and directed in systems that look to play them very differently.

Regards

S. Pete

.... long post....

lol, was surprised after writing all that to see this is a thread about Scott Pendlebury, no idea how it became Dusty vs. Pendles, but at least the page I read was about them.
On topic, Pendles standing in the game can speak for itself from an achievements perspective, and even be compared objectively without need to look any further for data points given how many there are of significance not requiring interpretation.

It was interesting to hear Buckley refer to him as Collingwood's best ever player. I think when you're just talking about player standings at a single club, there's a lot more scope for the subjective and sentimental variables amongst supporters of the club because the conflicting team bias element isn't present, and there is alignment in terms of supporters wanting the same result from every game and season that shapes how they experience watching their team and players, and somewhat calibrates them to the value of a player's most impactful intangibles. Pendles certainly ticks a lot of boxes for pies fans, he's an example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts when you look at his achievements and general abilities then get the feeling they don't quite add up to how great he's really been when comparing to the other magpies greats, which is not always the case.

Last edited:
If the same team played 200 games against the same team on the same ground and with the same conditions with the only difference being that for the first 100 games Pendlebury played in the team and in the second 100 games Martin played I would expect the team with Pendlebury in it to win slightly more games.

However I would expect that for the 100 games the team with Martin in it played that it would be more likely that, at the end of any given game, I’d be saying “Martin was the clear difference in he sides, without him we lose that game.”

This is not to call Martin a show pony - he nothing like that. It’s more to say that his top end can be devastating and can overwhelm teams in a matter of minutes. He reminds me of Carey in that regard - I remember plenty of games in the mid-90s where Carey would decide “Nah - I don’t feel like losing today” and that was it game over.

I’m not sure why people are so caught up in deciding who is better when the two of them play similar positions but coached and directed in systems that look to play them very differently.

Regards

S. Pete

You're kidding yourself if you think the team with Pendles would win slightly more, but it is more likely at the end of any given game, you'd be saying Martin was the clear difference. Clearly, the team with Pendles would win moderately more, and there's a higher likelihood at the end of any given game, you'd be saying Martin was the clear difference. To suggest otherwise is utter madness!

What Dusty has achieved in Finals Footy (when it matters most) as you have said in your comment, it might happen again, it just may not happen often, which puts Dusty up there in terms of modern footy.

Except.... Pendlebury's 2011 finals series was better than his 2010 finals series, AVERAGING 34 possessions, 5 tackles, 6 inside 50's and 7 clearances.

Is it true that Martin never had 30 possessions in a final?

Pendlebury did. 7 times. Either when he was 24 years of age or younger, or at least 30 years old...

No but he has kicked a bag of 6 and bags of 4’s

How many has Pendles kicked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back