Autopsy Season 2017 - "St Kilda v Melbourne Rd 21 2017"

Remove this Banner Ad

Started badly but team showed spirit to come back with one of our mids out for the game, not happy we lost but showed the fight needed and things are looking up, Billings outstanding and played with one eye just about the whole game, Sinclair played well again and most of our young guys stood up.
Team will be vastly better next year . Just a pity we are not in the finals.

Saints fans cheer up

a per normal that flat horrible what could have been feeling, well feels like i some of us got a head of ourselves level of the list just anit there yet.

Woeful first qtr was the difference. We struggle to move the footy when we are under pressure. We either panic and turn the footy over or go the other way and get too scared to kick the ball forward and attack.

Steven was poor again today. He showed in the two big qtrs he's had this last two weeks that he can be the difference between us winning and losing. Ross was another, he was poor with the footy.

Gilbert was our most experienced out there and his mistakes he made early in the game cost us big time. Our two big forwards struggled. Acres had more fumbles than kicks.

Positives for me was Billings although his goal kicking continues to be a problem. Dunstan was huge when the game was on the line and Steele worked hard.

Richo has clearly tinkered with the game plan, we don't seem to be bombing it in long quite as often, but we are still getting smashed on the rebounds and through the corridor. We clearly lack pace through there but we need to work out a way to stop that from happening.

Billy Longer has grabbed the #1 ruck spot. Hickey expendible for mine.

For all their skills Billings and Gresham sure do kick alot of behinds. So frustrating that 2 of our classiest players burn so many chances.

Weller is stuffed. Has been playing hurt all year. Put him in for the op and give a kid like NOK or Freeman (is he fit?) some chances.

Carlisle is a star. Will push Roberton for the BnF after not playing for over a year. Will tear 2018 apart I think.

Need to nail this trade window and draft. The team is screaming for some outside class and a genuine crumbing forward.

Richo also needs an overhaul in the coaches box. Not going to get it done with this crew anymore and in 2018 finals is a non negotiable. Improve or move on.

At least now we can fully dedicate these last two games to giving one of the greatest champions in our clubs history the send off he deserves, rather than be focusing on some deluded false hope attempt at playing finals.

Over to you, Rooey.

In the brutal world of AFL football where success is king, this was nothing more than a wasted season.

I think they've finally managed to break my spirit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horrible day all round. First quarter was beyond unacceptable, it's not even worth getting into too much as everything was wrong: skill errors, fumbles, Melbourne players always having 5 metres of space somehow.

People saying "good effort we got back in the game", it really wasn't. We just started playing to an acceptable level and Melbourne started choking as they are a very mentally fragile team.

To then let a mentally fragile team like Melbourne steamroll you all over again when the game is there to be won just shows where we are as a football team and coaching staff.

Nowhere.

Ross and Bruce won't want to watch the replay...

Geez Billings is the biggest tease of all time, should be a superstar next yr if he sorts his kicking

Horrible day all round. First quarter was beyond unacceptable, it's not even worth getting into too much as everything was wrong: skill errors, fumbles, Melbourne players always having 5 metres of space somehow.

People saying good effort we got back in the game, it really was't. We just started playing to an acceptable level and Melbourne started choking as they are a very mentally fragile team.

To then let a mentally fragile team like Melbourne steamroll you all over again when the game is there to be won just shows where we are as a football team and coaching staff.

Nowhere.
+1.

We can't leave our run to late with this current crop otherwise we will end up like Norf & do absolutely nothing.

Horrific from start to finish, save for a three goal spurt.

Neither side finals worthy.

Keep making the same mistakes, play into oppo hands, and kick ourselves out of contention.

Repeat.

They should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. What a waste of a season.
Clubs gonna have to get it's hands dirty. I reckon those close to the club know it too.

There's not going to be room for sentiment. They're gonna have to put some heat on

Worst part is that we didn't really get worse nor better this year.

Billings showed us a lot, shame the campaigner can't kick for goal. Hopefully we as a team can improve next season. He honestly performed much better this season than I would have imagined.

Membrey had a s**t year till recently where he's learned how to kick again, I hope he has more levels and this isn't his ceiling.

Bruce unfortunately is at his ceiling, he's a capable 40-50 goalkicker but nothing more. Love him as a clubman and what he brings to the contest but jeez only bloke I feel uncomfortable taking shots inside the goal square.

Sinclair did amazing, from last year being potentially trade bait/delisted he's firmly best 22 and honestly one of our best players. Gun

Robbo had his breakout year, I hope if he does sign with us he doesn't revert to be a handy player not the rebounding force we saw of him this season.

Newnes had a decent season, he would be top 150-200 players in the comp. Great athlete and tough at nails but really doesn't assert himself onto games. I can't remember ever actually thinking s**t Jill won it for us. Hope there's more from him but honestly he's at his ceiling as well.

Ross, gun. Had day off today but his work this season when we had off games is more than good enough. I hope Newnes will do similar but meh.

Acres, his best patch of footy was at tail end of last season when he was playing through the middle. He's had some good games but overall this season I expected more.

Dunstan was garbage to start the year and is ending it well. He had a ******* mare today in the start with his kicking but backed it up with 2 goals I think. Hope he's turned the corner tbh, I like his as a player. FMD though how long have we been waiting on him to build his tank.

Steele, our most consistent player. He is a star. Doesn't have the tank or the know how to completely take over a game consistently but this is his first season as a mid and he had no preseason. Gun.

Carlisle, worth pick 5. Really got lucky with this bloke. Can take a mark and kick it beautifully. * knows where we'd be without him

Brown, started the year like a train and got progressively worse imo. For what we gave up he's been amazing value but you'd want someone who does more than purely negate.

Yoga, garbage year. Gives a quarter of effort a game it seems like. If he's injured then book him for surgery and get him right for next year. Get him off the new age bullshit as well.

Gresh, honestly tries hollywood often and it doesn't work but he looks to take the game on. Wouldn't change the bloke. Sort out his goal kicking as well for next year.

Baz White, superstar in the making. Already gone past Lever and Rance as the best defender in the comp after 4 games.

Geary,thought he started the year of well as well tbh, haven't really rated much of his games recently. He'll always have the plucky Patton tackle though.

Paddy/Hugh. Unlucky with injury. Back them in cause if they don't make we'll be ****ed

Dmac/Rice Didn't watch much VFL but they were always top 10ish in the side. Dmac showed signs in his few games but we won't know if either will make it till they get games. No point having him in for 2/3 games and then drop him, builds no continuity.

Webster had his best year. Was great till he broke his hand I think. Tries the impossible too often but he's improved massively.

Hickey, should have got traded last season. Went backwards worse than old mate Goldy. What the * happened here.

Longer, always rated him as a ruckman. The moment he gets his tank up to crash packs he'll be more than serviceable. Back him in he's going to be fine

Minch/Wright/Pierce, I liked Wright's games against GWS and Minch's against Geelong. I get their mature cover on little coin but list cloggers.

Steven, lose weight. Get your fitness up, watch yourself in 2015 and 16. Where was the line breaker we needed.

Koby, did his job. Never going to be more than a B grader, knew exactly what he was going to bring.

Armo/Joey,Roo. Age caught up with all of them. Joey shirked the contest even more this year, Roo we all know, Armo's body just isn't there. Joey needs to retire.

Gilbo, honestly I'd trade both our first rounders for a 21 year old Gilbo. Never the best user but 100% effort and can play every position on the ground. Love him.

Savage, played well since he's come back otherwise he'd be delisted.

Lonie, I like him but if he wants to leave then more power to him. Hope we keep the campaigner

Who else is on our list?

I have doubts on our coaching, too often we let teams get a run on and we do * all to stop it but I have another massive post for that

This season is cooked, lets get Paddy back for the last two games, I don't care if he's not match fit, just plonk him there, it would suit our bomb it in gameplan. Rice should get a look in as well.

I'm now convinced we'll never play finals as long as Brucey is our Key Forward.
Doesn't lead at the ball, drops simple marks, fumbles, misses targets and can't ******* kick straight.

Drop him for the last 2 games and play Marshall/Paddy

Is this next weeks autopsy thread???

Season autopsy, my friend. We're cooked.

I think Billy showed enough today against the best ruckman in the game to show that he is the one to persist with. Hickey traded at seasons end.

I hope Geary has just had a down year as some new captains do under the pressure of leadership. Another year like this and he will have to hand it over as his spot will be in contention.

I think our midfield showed in patches that they will eventually emerge, however we lack speed and class. Dunstan, Acres, Sincs and Billings will all be great players. Midfield just needs a few more strings to the bow.

I think our biggest problems all year have been clearing it out of defensive 50 accurately, delivery into the forward 50 and conversion of goals. I miss the St Kilda of last year that would transition quickly, play on at all costs and attack no matter what. We need to develop a strategy for playing sides who lock down the corridor and the switch as teams have figured us out. Do we not have the foot skills to pull the trigger? Are we too tentative to take the risk? Are we not running hard enough?

I don't have the answers. I don't want Richo gone, however some blame has to lay with the coaches. I think the calls to bring in more experienced assistants are good ones. Let's see who we cab poach. At a minimum, the forward line coach must go as it has been borderline dysfunctional all year.

We desperately need to land a big fish in this off season. If we can't, then we need to draft extremely well and modify our expectations as two new kids will take time to develop.

It's a brutal competition and it has been as frustrating a season as I can remember. However, I do have faith in most of this group. I think we have a really good core, we're just missing a few pieces. I really hope we are able to send Rooey off well and have already an exciting off season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back