Official Match Thread Season 31, Round 15: Roys FFC vs Dragons FFC at the BJO

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy Thursday (aka manangatang's fourth favourite day of the week)! And since it's close enough to the thematic time of 10am, let's get ready for ...

TOP TEN THURSDAY!

This most-loved tradition is a simple one. Each Thursday in the match thread, a theme is posted on at 10am(ish) and than anyone that wants to join in lists their top ten according to the theme. Previous themes have included Top Ten Days Of The Year, Top Ten Embarrassing Moments and Top Ten Places To Meditate, but this week the theme is ... TOP TEN BOOKS.

It could be a literary classic like Tolstoy's "War & Peace" (although if this was in the Bombers thread, I'm sure TheCoach16 would smugly inform us it's not nearly as good as his earlier work) or it might be something a little more low brow e.g. Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan. It could be a real sport biography like Jim Styne's "My Journey" or a fake one ("The Warwick Todd Diaries" might deserve a mention here), or even a cookbook if that's your thing (BLUEALLTHRU' #1 would undoubtedly be Strig's soon-to-be-completed cookbook). You might even take inspiration from mang's OP and choose a children's book that you've always loved, like Grug. Which incidentally is the book TJASTA finally finished last week - great work, you little legend. It doesn't matter what you choose - it's YOUR top ten!

There aren't any other rules for Top Ten Thursday except that your list needs to have ten entries (no more, no less). Feel free to order them from 1-10 if you like, and while explanations aren't necessary, they're definitely encouraged. And of course, ripping apart other nominations is definitely allowed.
[/QUOTE]

1. All The Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr
2. Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
3. Narrow Road to the Deep North - Richard Flannagan
Finally a list I can be passionate about.

1. Riftwar Sage - Raymond E Feist
2. Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
3. Harry Potter - Rowling
4. Assassin's Apprentice - Robin Hobb
5. Daughter of the Empire series - Feist and Wurts
6. Serpent War Saga - Raymond E Feist
7. The Hobbit - Tolkien
8. The Martian - Andy Weir
9. Hajime No Ippo - George Morikawa (Yes manga counts)
10. He died with a Felafel in his hand - John Birmingham

Riftwar saga is next level. What a series.

Happy Thursday (aka manangatang's fourth favourite day of the week)! And since it's close enough to the thematic time of 10am, let's get ready for ...

TOP TEN THURSDAY!

This most-loved tradition is a simple one. Each Thursday in the match thread, a theme is posted on at 10am(ish) and than anyone that wants to join in lists their top ten according to the theme. Previous themes have included Top Ten Days Of The Year, Top Ten Embarrassing Moments and Top Ten Places To Meditate, but this week the theme is ... TOP TEN BOOKS.

It could be a literary classic like Tolstoy's "War & Peace" (although if this was in the Bombers thread, I'm sure TheCoach16 would smugly inform us it's not nearly as good as his earlier work) or it might be something a little more low brow e.g. Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan. It could be a real sport biography like Jim Styne's "My Journey" or a fake one ("The Warwick Todd Diaries" might deserve a mention here), or even a cookbook if that's your thing (BLUEALLTHRU' #1 would undoubtedly be Strig's soon-to-be-completed cookbook). You might even take inspiration from mang's OP and choose a children's book that you've always loved, like Grug. Which incidentally is the book TJASTA finally finished last week - great work, you little legend. It doesn't matter what you choose - it's YOUR top ten!

There aren't any other rules for Top Ten Thursday except that your list needs to have ten entries (no more, no less). Feel free to order them from 1-10 if you like, and while explanations aren't necessary, they're definitely encouraged. And of course, ripping apart other nominations is definitely allowed.

1. The Fast and the Chipmunk
2. 2 Fast 2 Chipmunk
3. The Fast and the Chipmunk: East Side Drift
4. Fast & Chipmunk
5. Fast Chipmunk
6. Fast & Chipmunk 6
7. Chipmunk 7
8. The Fate of the Chipmunk
9. C9
10. The Queen’s Gambit

1. The Fast and the Chipmunk
2. 2 Fast 2 Chipmunk
3. The Fast and the Chipmunk: East Side Drift
4. Fast & Chipmunk
5. Fast Chipmunk
6. Fast & Chipmunk 6
7. Chipmunk 7
8. The Fate of the Chipmunk
9. C9
10. The Queen’s Gambit
My favourite character in most of those is played by Dwayne "The Chipmunk" Johnson

My favourite character in most of those is played by Dwayne "The Chipmunk" Johnson

Who was also in Jumanji: Welcome to the Chipmunk

TOP TEN THURSDAY!

Thanks to everyone that got involved in Top Ten Thursday - I knew this was the right theme for this week. Of course the Roys are a literary bunch! For what it's worth, here's my Top Ten:
  1. The Picture Of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde) - This is the book that has most sparked creative inspiration in me more than any other. He has an incredible turn of phase that paints a better picture than the painting itself.
  2. 1984 (George Orwell) - I re-read it last year (I think) and loved it even more - it's all the more relevant now than when it was written, yet is somehow life-affirming.
  3. Breakfast Of Champions (Kurt Vonnegut) - It's quite nonsensical in a lot of ways, but his version of nonsense just connects with me really well. An incredible wit, but an even more incredible insight into humanity (even if it's filtered through his bizarre science-fiction alien lens).
  4. Night Watch (Terry Pratchett) - It was hard to choose just one book from the Discworld series, but this one is the culmination of the story arc of one of the best characters in the series, Sam Vimes. It probably even works briliantly as a stand-alone book, to be honest.
  5. Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (JRR Tolkien) - I absolute HATE cheating by putting the whole trilogy on this list, but it's too hard to separate them.
  6. Going Solo (Roald Dahl) - There is a LOT of doubt about the veracity of all the stories in this autobiography, but it's so compellingly written, I really don't care. This is quite possibly the book I've read the most times and I never tire of it.
  7. The Day Of The Jackal (Frederick Forsyth) - Just a perfectly constructed thriller and unsurprisingly, far superior than either movie adaptation.
  8. The Crucible (Arthur Miller) - I studied this in high school and it's stayed with me ever since. It might be a pretty transparent take-down of McCarthyism, but it's a brilliant one.
  9. Outliers: The Story Of Success (Malcolm Gladwell) - The most riveting non-fiction book I've read and even inspired my wife and I to try for a specific month for our kids to be born (you'll understand if you've read it).
  10. Look Who's Back (Timur Vermes) - A hilarious German satire with a ridiculous premise - what if Hitler re-appeared in the current day? He has to get accustomed to a new society, but then he gets "discovered" by a TV show host who assumes he's just someone going very deep in his cosplay. It was extremely controversial in Germany (understandably), but it's very, very funny.

Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (JRR Tolkien) - I absolute HATE cheating by putting the whole trilogy on this list, but it's too hard to separate them.
The expanded works of Tolkien (The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, Histories of Middle Earth, Unfinished Tales) - JRR Tolkien
Ooop! 🤗

Yeah fwiw mine were generally:

Children: I enjoyed The Magicians House and Spooksville series.
Adult: Current favourite author is John Marrs who does some good escapist novels including The One (which is on Netflix).
Non Fiction: ignoring chess, I enjoyed Thinking, Fast and Slow.

Yeah fwiw mine were generally:

Children: I enjoyed The Magicians House and Spooksville series.
Adult: Current favourite author is John Marrs who does some good escapist novels including The One (which is on Netflix).
Non Fiction: ignoring chess, I enjoyed Thinking, Fast and Slow.
No Harry Potter? MWPP would be crushed!

It looks quite nice. I'm partial to living at BEMain12, BEJethro01 or BEMcGraw02 from what I've looked at if ay of those places are still available.

I'm framing this and putting it on my wall. :thumbsu:

giphy.gif
I'm at BEJethro01, Strigs is at BEMcGraw02...so that leaves you with BEMain12.

Lock and load Mobbs!
BEMain12 is the chosen address. So it's now no longer being suggested to Matt_352 however there are plenty of other places around.

Mobbs is BEHawkett01, BEMain11 or BEJethro03 the next best place for access to Pizza 888 now that Ljp has claimed BEMain12?
Jethro03 and Hawkett01, then Main11. Yeah, pretty much as you said.

I'm terrified that I'll feel this way about the Wheel of Time TV series when it comes out next year. I've spent countless hours immersed in the depth of the novels, and I have no doubt the TV adaption will be targeted at the masses as opposed to long time fans like myself, Bonz and Marlowe.

This is why I was happy when the riftwar tv adaption was cancelled.

I was pleasantly surprised with Shadow and Bone though. That was a decent adaption.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno what all those codes for properties are on the map but I'd like somewhere with lots of trees
The whole island has lots of trees so you're in luck.

Would you prefer to be close to Subway, Pizza 888, Crocodile Drunkees, or the dock?

Most of the books I read now are non fiction like crime/supernatural/biographies, so my list will be tied in with early memories of reading books that I read till the pages fell apart…I still prefer the classics.

Journeys to the other side of the World - David Attenborough
Gone With the Wind - Margaret Mitchell
Roots - Alex Haley
The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien
Lord of the Rings - J.R.R Tolkien
First Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling
Watership Down - Richard Adams
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
To kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Alice In Wonderland - Lewis Carroll

Also the whole Agatha Christie library, still love her books too.

I could read all those again, anytime. Unfortunately I’m a waster now wasting my brain away on Bigfooty instead of a good book.

Most of the books I read now are non fiction like crime/supernatural/biographies, so my list will be tied in with early memories of reading books that I read till the pages fell apart…I still prefer the classics.

Journeys to the other side of the World - David Attenborough
Gone With the Wind - Margaret Mitchell
Roots - Alex Haley
The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien
Lord of the Rings - J.R.R Tolkien
First Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling
Watership Down - Richard Adams
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
To kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Alice In Wonderland - Lewis Carroll

Also the whole Agatha Christie library, still love her books too.

I could read all those again, anytime. Unfortunately I’m a waster now wasting my brain away on Bigfooty instead of a good book.
For me, it's Netflix etc. I mean, there's still some great shows that can be quite impacting, but nothing quite so much as a book. It seems a lot harder to reach out for a book though.

For me, it's Netflix etc. I mean, there's still some great shows that can be quite impacting, but nothing quite so much as a book. It seems a lot harder to reach out for a book though.
Oh definitely tv has a huge impact on reading now, for me I watch every footy game on foxtel, most footy shows, all the true crime shows, history and Nat Geo etc. Books used to take us to exotic places and stories but the internet does that now anyway. Between that and BF not much time left just to read tho I’m ashamed to say that…I have a stacked library tho its nearly all non fiction now.
Just started to watch a few netflix shows mainly due to trying to use it! Hubby works away so we have it for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back