Women's Footy Season 7 - Pre-season - trade and draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stoked for Maddie
She’s a good friend of my oldest son

I’ve taken them both surfing since they were little kids

She is a fantastic young lady and a real achiever
I haven’t seen much of her footy unfortunately but she excels at most things she tries so I reckon she’ll be an asset to the club

Glad she didn’t go to the dark side 😁
I'm also stoked Freo picked up Maddie.

Remember her as a skinny little thing as a train on for WC, a bit unconfident and a lot of fake tan.

Watch a lot of WAFLW and last couple of seasons she has just matured into this confident contested playing and marking beast. Saw her as the most dominant player on ground against Easts this year even with 4 AFL listed players out there. Killed it at CHB, Dominated when pushed forward, and strong as an ox when in the middle. Said at the time she's guaranteed to get picked up now, you can't ignore her presence on the field. Thought WC would but she decided she wanted to go to Freo and IMO, she will be the most dominant new kid out there this season (with Roberts) out of all the WA draftees once she gets her chance. She has some Luke Hodge about her. Watch her take over as that half back general with confidence, drive and competitiveness. Natural leader. Very excited about this pick up.

We could have drafted her ourselves, she passed through the draft. Any other player that similarly leaves a club and runs through a draft will be available as an unselected signing.
Yes but what we can do is get a WA girl to nominate for the SA draft and tell them that she isn't sure about moving to another state, goes undrafted and bam we pick them up as a free agent

We really need to get Roberts to ask for a trade when she can, she will be Erin Phillips type of good, she's your quintessential generational player.
already commenting under the post of Stribley by freodockersaflw on insta

someone should reply to her comment with "how many years til you're joining her in purple?"

Yes but what we can do is get a WA girl to nominate for the SA draft and tell them that she isn't sure about moving to another state, goes undrafted and bam we pick them up as a free agent
Foolproof plan until Adelaide/Port select her anyway. Why would the WA girl take the risk.

Forget about loopholes. Better off lobbying for special permission from the AFL to blatantly break the rules, like Brisbane got with the cross-code rookie signing of Courtney Hodder--a defection from WA that should be a much greater source of consternation than Duffy's.

Fair call, I don’t disagree with your points. But I guess again - people are dealing with all sorts of stuff that others don’t know about. Sabreena is a person pretty high up the integrity scale, and I doubt she would have done this to screw Freo. But it certainly seems weird that’s for sure.
Very sad about it because as you pointed out via the linking to the podcast she did with Neroli, I learned she was getting so much support from Freo in terms of counseling to help with her domestic "issues"/situation. She was nothing but complimentary about the way Freo as a club operated and helped her and accommodated her (this was back in 2020). I hope nothing changed on that front.

It feels very sad to know she was delisted as a 22 year old with enormous football talent and we don't get to see it flourish for many more years. I won't ever truly understand the conversations or decisions why she was let go, maybe it was a mutually beneficial arrangement, who can say - I just know how gutted I am, watching her play and her ability was so exciting. I respect no one is ever bigger than the club, but sometimes you get a player you just take so much pleasure out of watching and Sabreena for me was that, it's over - it was too fleeting and although I'm grateful she was in the Purple, it feels like a robbery to me.

I wish her nothing but the best, she is a likeable, honest, morally integral and a intelligent young woman who deserves a medal for what she's had to go through and live with - biological parents who were drug addicts - it's never easy adjusting or fitting in.

I just wish she'd been able to remain at Freo, but as you say - maybe the opportunity to start over in a fresh state truly gives her what she needs. Obviously she's left her job here too. I hope so, but I am mighty sad she won't retire a Freo multi-time Premiership player :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Foolproof plan until Adelaide/Port select her anyway. Why would the WA girl take the risk.
Port/Crows take the risk of wasting a pick? up to them but with 1 year contracts the player only has to sit out the one year, can do the same process the next year and she is straight to her club of choice

Very sad about it because as you pointed out via the linking to the podcast she did with Neroli, I learned she was getting so much support from Freo in terms of counseling to help with her domestic "issues"/situation. She was nothing but complimentary about the way Freo as a club operated and helped her and accommodated her (this was back in 2020). I hope nothing changed on that front.

It feels very sad to know she was delisted as a 22 year old with enormous football talent and we don't get to see it flourish for many more years. I won't ever truly understand the conversations or decisions why she was let go, maybe it was a mutually beneficial arrangement, who can say - I just know how gutted I am, watching her play and her ability was so exciting. I respect no one is ever bigger than the club, but sometimes you get a player you just take so much pleasure out of watching and Sabreena for me was that, it's over - it was too fleeting and although I'm grateful she was in the Purple, it feels like a robbery to me.

I wish her nothing but the best, she is a likeable, honest, morally integral and a intelligent young woman who deserves a medal for what she's had to go through and live with - biological parents who were drug addicts - it's never easy adjusting or fitting in.

I just wish she'd been able to remain at Freo, but as you say - maybe the opportunity to start over in a fresh state truly gives her what she needs. Obviously she's left her job here too. I hope so, but I am mighty sad she won't retire a Freo multi-time Premiership player :(
Totally agree with this. Ill miss her but wish her all the best and look forward to watching Jess Low shut her down when we play Melbourne.

Just very poor form not to ask for a trade. Still think it’s underhanded to say she can’t play due to mental issues and work commitments then turns around and plays for another club.

Port/Crows take the risk of wasting a pick? up to them but with 1 year contracts the player only has to sit out the one year, can do the same process the next year and she is straight to her club of choice
If the player is prepared to carry out a year-long ploy to get to her preferred club, there's no need to nominate interstate under false pretences.

She can simply be drafted by West Coast and then request a trade to Fremantle after one season.

The problem is how do we do that? West Coast will be given priority picks if they want to continue to struggle and if our highest pick is similar to last night, we haven’t got anything to give them in a trade unless we give up players in return.
We need to start cherry picking West Coast best young talent.

If the player is prepared to carry out a year-long ploy to get to her preferred club, there's no need to nominate interstate under false pretences.

She can simply be drafted by West Coast and then request a trade to Fremantle after one season.
Costs draft picks if you do it that way, also the likelihood is they aren't picked by the SA teams so you get a year earlier at your club of choice

Direct from the Mal Michael school of trading. Or not trading. Maybe they’ll close this loophole like they did after the Michael situation. Or maybe not. Most likely not. Almost definitely not. Yeah nah, they won’t.
Not until we stand to gain from it.

bob tin .jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back