SFNL Div 1 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

good to hear if true. i was going to attend the meeting last night but decided against it due to not knowing the feel of the room and having a strong opinion myself on the matter.....

and my opinion (means jackshit i know) is this - firstly i'll state that i love local and professional sports. it's a huge part of my life like it is with many others so i want it back as soon as possible. however what the AFL and below leagues who are considering continuing are doing is completely irresponsible. we've just had 10 postcodes shut down and i can bet you that there's AFL players who live in these areas. they are part of the same community as we are, just as local footballers are. so to think it is safe for them to bang and crash into each other but not safe for people to watch - people from the same community, is just ridiculous. hey and after we smash into each other for 2 hours let's be socially distant while singing our song. for safety of course, lol..... if people don't see the humour and contradiction in that then there's something wrong. at local level it's ok for my child to play against others from all over the state with full physical contact but not safe enough for me to watch? taking the piss surely.... you seriously cannot have community restrictions but let people from those communities compete in contact sports then return to their homes as normal. it seems a hub with daily testing of who comes and goes is the only possible solution and obviously not available at local level. we are not the UFC, NBA, NFL etc that have the money to try to implement these things. focus on health and getting past this pandemic before worrying about whether or not sport should go on.

Agree. Too many contractions for a season to “feel right” in going ahead. Would be a different story if everything was open and we were just accepting new cases to keep the economy going.

if this mess isn’t over by December - I wonder what that means for cricket and an April 2021 start for footy.

Agree. Too many contractions for a season to “feel right” in going ahead. Would be a different story if everything was open and we were just accepting new cases to keep the economy going.

if this mess isn’t over by December - I wonder what that means for cricket and an April 2021 start for footy.

The advantage with cricket is you can basically play while observing social distancing.

One thing about cancelling footy is you can probably get cricket underway at the normal time this year, so it won’t impact the 2021 footy season.

Maybe he had more important things to announce yesterday like telling 300,000 people to stay in their houses, businesses to shut, people without wages, deploying police, investigating the hotel disaster...Not sure he has gone home kicking himself that he forgot to announce that SFNL and VAFA seasons are cancelled.

Mate you are the bloke standing in the middle of a burning house where everyone runs and you stand there saying the Fire Brigade will be here soon to put it out.

SFNL is NOT going ahead so just relax.

Its not doomsaday stuff as the smart people realise this year is 'rooted' so the most important thing we need to do now is make sure next Season goes ahead.
You are the most negative prick on here. If you have no interest in seeing local footy played this year then jog on and find some other forums to read. You talk like, Daniel Andrews and Lee Hartman consult you before making decisions and they arn't listening. You are a nobody and probably involved with a Club that called it quits early. Good on you. Enjoy your year off. The SFNL is not forcing anyone to play. They have openly said there is no repercussions and Clubs will need to make their own decisions if it is financially viable. And if the SFNL feels a Club is not in a position to make it through a Covid Season then they wont entertain putting them in.

D Day today I reckon. SFNL had a Board Meeting last night. If their decision was to cancel, then Clubs will be told today. If we hear nothing then the intention is to still go ahead. I reckon we will be the last Metro Comp standing. It will be hard for the VAFA to proceed with a percentage of their Clubs in lockdown areas.
After the announcements yesterday the Premier had an opportunity to also cancel all Junior Football and Senior Football Comps for the year but he didn't. This isn't an oversight, he obviously believes at this stage local footy with current restrictions can proceed safely.

So obviously they also didn't consult you either as per your statement "After the announcements yesterday the Premier had an opportunity to also cancel all Junior Football and Senior Football Comps for the year but he didn't. This isn't an oversight, he obviously believes at this stage local footy with current restrictions can proceed safely". I think we need to pity your comment.

You have missed the main point, this year is gone (I know this is a hard pill for you to swallow) so myself and a lot of smarter people than you, we want to make sure next season goes ahead but more importantly request the charade, and it is a charade (I realise you are a huge yes fan of Hartman) of pretending to get a season up that keeps volunteers anxious as their club would be financial ruined and also burdened with the RTP that they have to find people to implement and manage and god forbid if the virus swept through their club whilst poor old jimmy was in charge of the COVID plan, how do you think he would be travelling. So shut it down now so we can enjoy next year, or is that all too hard for you to fathom? I hope the fire brigade is not too late for you.

Last edited:
Honest question; what is this "massive financial burden" people are talking about? The RTP document has stated that crowds are allowed, so there's your gate, bar and canteen money coming in. Could even be bigger crowds than usual with fewer leagues playing and everyone frothing to see some sport live. Social distancing in the crowd is easier than in your local shopping centre, considering ovals are outdoors and you have what, 400m of fence to stand around.
No players **should** be getting paid, umpires are reducing their fees, and hopefully the league does so too. Also less money being spent on tape, trainers etc as there are less games to be played.

Presumably the only extra thing that clubs will have to shell out for is extra cleaning/ sanitising gear, but surely that's cheaper than what most blokes are on per game? As far as volunteers go, if a few players per week were to help out before or after games, that would ease the burden. Most country footy teams send players through the bar/ canteen at least once a year to help out, not sure why this isn't done more in metro leagues.

Honest question; what is this "massive financial burden" people are talking about? The RTP document has stated that crowds are allowed, so there's your gate, bar and canteen money coming in. Could even be bigger crowds than usual with fewer leagues playing and everyone frothing to see some sport live. Social distancing in the crowd is easier than in your local shopping centre, considering ovals are outdoors and you have what, 400m of fence to stand around.
No players **should** be getting paid, umpires are reducing their fees, and hopefully the league does so too. Also less money being spent on tape, trainers etc as there are less games to be played.

Presumably the only extra thing that clubs will have to shell out for is extra cleaning/ sanitising gear, but surely that's cheaper than what most blokes are on per game? As far as volunteers go, if a few players per week were to help out before or after games, that would ease the burden. Most country footy teams send players through the bar/ canteen at least once a year to help out, not sure why this isn't done more in metro leagues.
You may have some bar and canteen during the game, but no after match function that generates money. No sponsors lunches, $1000 draws, etc. No presentation night, no mid year ball, no trivia nights, no social events.
This is the SFNL, so no gate at most grounds.
I doubt you will get bigger crowds, people will still be wary. They need to be socially distanced, who is walking around the crowd policing this.
Many sponsors are not in a position to contribute this year. My clubs major sponsor is a hotel, so they are not contributing. Many smaller businesses are suffering so sponsorship is very difficult to get.
League fees are still there. 13-15 K is the number I was given. This is not small for many clubs.
Subs will be harder to get from the players, many players have also lost income, or may choose to work Saturdays to recover lost income. For paid players we take subs from the payments, this becomes a much trickier conversation. Not only are you not getting paid, you have to pay!
If you want to be a good club, you dont want to go into debt (cough Doveton cough). We are financial with the league and want to keep it that way. We don't want to go 10k plus into debt for a half arsed season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You may have some bar and canteen during the game, but no after match function that generates money. No sponsors lunches, $1000 draws, etc. No presentation night, no mid year ball, no trivia nights, no social events.
This is the SFNL, so no gate at most grounds.
I doubt you will get bigger crowds, people will still be wary. They need to be socially distanced, who is walking around the crowd policing this.
Many sponsors are not in a position to contribute this year. My clubs major sponsor is a hotel, so they are not contributing. Many smaller businesses are suffering so sponsorship is very difficult to get.
League fees are still there. 13-15 K is the number I was given. This is not small for many clubs.
Subs will be harder to get from the players, many players have also lost income, or may choose to work Saturdays to recover lost income. For paid players we take subs from the payments, this becomes a much trickier conversation. Not only are you not getting paid, you have to pay!
If you want to be a good club, you dont want to go into debt (cough Doveton cough). We are financial with the league and want to keep it that way. We don't want to go 10k plus into debt for a half arsed season.

2021 will be pretty difficult for clubs, sponsorship $$$ will not be there, making it harder to justify paying top $$$ for players, this Covid-19 may bring back some sensibility regarding payments to players...

Wot a joke they are

Tbf from what I’ve seen OE clubs are very happy with the way their league has done things and the reports are the level of communication with all clubs has been top notch.

It’d also appear that the entire West Gippsland FL are keen to bring their league in and be administered by the OEFL - theyre fed up with AFL Gippsland and have met with the OE, and were apparently very impressed. Which would tell you something about how they run things.

Yeah it’s done.
Oakleigh, Highett and StPauls gone from div1
Keysborough, HP and Heatherton from div2
BlackRock, Mornington and South Yarra gone from div3
Not sure about Div4 but I’d guess they’d be worse off?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back