Shaun Atley vs Jason Johannisen

Who would you rather?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO when he won the Norm Smith, those who voted for him just looked at the stats and gave it to the player with the most possessions on the winning side. He had a good last quarter which probably helped his cause but Picken or Boyd did more to help the dogs win.
Most Bulldog fans had Tom Boyd & Picken higher than JJ for the Norm Smith, and Jack Macrae did a lot of underrated work too.
I though JJ's ball use early was down on his usual output. Still in our best though.

Johannisen's first half was poor, but when the game was there to be won he was regularly responsible for breaking through the defence to give us scoring opportunities. Seven score involvements from a half-back is bloody impressive.

One coach gave JJ best-afield honours and the other rated him second behind Tom Boyd, so it's not just a matter of being picked on stats.

Personally? JJ wouldn't have been my winner, but it was a close call. Others had a more consistent presence but when the game was on the line, JJ stood up more than most others on the ground.

Most fast line breakers struggle with precision kicking, it isn't an easy skill to master running at that speed, Treloars another who has the same problem.

In my time of watching, I can probably think of only Bewick and Aker that were good at it. You're right, it is difficult to execute at speed.

Back