Shaun Atley vs Jason Johannisen

Who would you rather?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

lel. Rarely beaten one on one is Atley.

R032014AtleyMark.gif

I don't mind Atley as a defender, but that gif doesn't prove that much. He's in a contest where the ball is kicked to his side, and he's playing against Hartlett who is hardly a contested bull. I'm sure there are moments where Atley has proven himself as a defender, but that gif isn't really proving it.

Pretty sure Johannisen lost something like only 1 of his first 25 one-on-one contests last year - remember hearing it on the radio from the Champion Data dude.

Not as good as Atley going 1 for 1 as shown by the gif

FWIW, Johannisen lost only 19.4% of his one-on-one contests in 2015, which was 9% better than the AFL average for his position. Atley lost 31.6% of his.

To put this into context we really need to know how many one on ones they were in.

To put this into context we really need to know how many one on ones they were in.
I don't have those stats unfortunately - if somebody wants to Tweet Champion Data I'm sure they'd be able to share the information though. I don't have Twitter but I know they're pretty active on there.

FWIW, Johannisen lost only 19.4% of his one-on-one contests in 2015, which was 9% better than the AFL average for his position. Atley lost 31.6% of his.
Can you back up these stats with a .gif though?

Contests: Win / Neutral / Loss

AFL Average (Defensive one on one)
- 29% / 43% / 28%

Atley - 19: 4 / 9 / 6
JJ - 31: 11 / 14 / 6

Career (Missing Atley's debut year)
Atley - 98: 25 / 42 / 31
JJ - 54: 19 / 21 / 14

So much for Atley being better one on one then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just like M.O.C is to North!

MOC is a North supporter believe it or not... He switched teams as a young man.

Bad judgement, but there is light at the end of the 62 year tunnel.

Add in his superior rebounding skills and this poll isn't close

Atley wouldn't get a game for the dogs, we all know that.

How do you fit all these superstars into your team? Its unfortunate that you can select only 22 superstars each week out of 44 superstars on your list.

Does Beveridge have the hardest job in footy?

Last edited:
Have never been a north supporter.

Bought memberships, yes. Supported the keep north in Melbourne cause.

But I see now north supporters are trying to take the thread off topic after their Atley is a better 1v1 defender argument was shot down

Have never been a north supporter.

Bought memberships, yes. Supported the keep north in Melbourne cause.

But I see now north supporters are trying to take the thread off topic after their Atley is a better 1v1 defender argument was shot down

Please... JJ plays against weaker opposition due to your shitness (prior to this year) and softer draw. Not to mention he is your 3rd choice small defender and ends up on lesser opponents in shitter teams.

Its pretty obvious no?

Anyone else feel like this is the thread that will keep on giving this year?

Will this be finally the year Atley's output matches the hype north supporters give him?

I think we're pretty happy with how he's going. Can he improve? Yeah sure. Having said that he's been a pretty solid player for a few years now. He's only 23 but has already played 109 games. If he gets better it will be a bonus but we know he's not a one season wonder.

How do you fit all these superstars into your team? Its unfortunate that you can select only 22 superstars each week out of 44 superstars on your list.

Does Beveridge have the hardest job in footy?

You quote perfectly relevant statistics on one on one contests and then respond with this petty rubbish ... Jesus Christ

Back