Recommitted Shaun Higgins [signed a contract to the end of 2021]

Remove this Banner Ad

They would trade it if they thought they could get a premiership I don’t think the signs look good for Constable when Geelong is expressing a lot of Intrest in other experienced mids.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Higgins is just angling for an extra year on his contract, Steven was a question asked a year ago because the cats wanted a plan to attack 2019 but I think pretty clearly the time for that one has passed. Neither would be a part of any serious plan at the cats this year

Fair enough, yes, without that game, he played 16, averaging 30.19 disposals and a Champion Data Player Ranking Score of 100.13, a lot closer to his 2018 output. Games missed still a concern.

Also, what happened to the North supporters earlier in the year that wanted Higgins out of the side, almost acting like his play was some sort of liability? Just a vocal few on here?

Wouldn't believe it was anything but an extremely small but vocal minority.

Probably wasn't at his best but still far better than other options as a proper clearance, line breaking mid. Not sure who these guys would have had replace him.

Whateley & McClure just said on SEN that he's definitely worth a first round pick. As mentioned, he's 32 in round 1 next year, does anyone trade a first round pick for a bloke of that age regardless of ability?
Depending on on the situation absolutely some would.

A top team looking for that icing player to put them over the top would be crazy not to, i think it is the difference between that 3 peat Hawthorn team winning the 3 or maybe missing out on a couple.

It is just a matter of finding a team that fits that description because Geelong are the ones often thrown around but i am not sure he is a player of need for them.

Any top team that is expecting to be competing for the next 1-3 years that needs that extra bit of class should look to try and get him.

A shot at a premiership > some pick in the 14-18 range.

Depending on on the situation absolutely some would.

A top team looking for that icing player to put them over the top would be crazy not to, i think it is the difference between that 3 peat Hawthorn team winning the 3 or maybe missing out on a couple.

It is just a matter of finding a team that fits that description because Geelong are the ones often thrown around but i am not sure he is a player of need for them.

Any top team that is expecting to be competing for the next 1-3 years that needs that extra bit of class should look to try and get him.

A shot at a premiership > some pick in the 14-18 range.
My thoughts are generally that you absolutely trade first round picks for known quantities but at age 32 I feel he's probably got 2 good years left at most and whilst he's been reasonable durable the last couple of years he does have a long injury history.

The only other trade I can think of that is similar (age vs currency) was the Deledio one which hasn't worked out for GWS and even then, Brett was 2 years younger at the time than how old Higgins will be when(if) he gets to Geelong. I think he's a great player but feel he's worth more to North than what he'll get them in a trade solely due to his age but then if they're not expecting to be challenging in the next 2 years, they might end up letting him go for a pick somewhere 20-30 and load up with as many picks as they can inside the top 30?

All of this is with no understanding of this years draft quality though, just seeing what other people think as far as blokes the wrong side of 30 & what they're worth in a trade. Some seem to go one end of the spectrum like Deledio did, some seem to go the other end ala Lewis, Mitchell etc. who were traded for bugger all.

Think you can always use extra class players like Higgins but don't think it's something Geelong are crying out for. Him & Steven would be good pick ups but don't think you sell the farm for the next couple of years worth of picks to land them.

My thoughts are generally that you absolutely trade first round picks for known quantities but at age 32 I feel he's probably got 2 good years left at most and whilst he's been reasonable durable the last couple of years he does have a long injury history.

The only other trade I can think of that is similar (age vs currency) was the Deledio one which hasn't worked out for GWS and even then, Brett was 2 years younger at the time than how old Higgins will be when(if) he gets to Geelong. I think he's a great player but feel he's worth more to North than what he'll get them in a trade solely due to his age but then if they're not expecting to be challenging in the next 2 years, they might end up letting him go for a pick somewhere 20-30 and load up with as many picks as they can inside the top 30?

All of this is with no understanding of this years draft quality though, just seeing what other people think as far as blokes the wrong side of 30 & what they're worth in a trade. Some seem to go one end of the spectrum like Deledio did, some seem to go the other end ala Lewis, Mitchell etc. who were traded for bugger all.

Think you can always use extra class players like Higgins but don't think it's something Geelong are crying out for. Him & Steven would be good pick ups but don't think you sell the farm for the next couple of years worth of picks to land them.
The difference is Deledio had calf problems before he left the Tigers. Higgins has only missed games through contact injuries in the last 3 years.

If Kelly leaves he is a great replacement - even if its for 2 years. I think draft picks are over rated and would prefer Higgins than pick 16-18.

Higgins was AA level again this year and only missed due to his injury.

Whateley & McClure just said on SEN that he's definitely worth a first round pick. As mentioned, he's 32 in round 1 next year, does anyone trade a first round pick for a bloke of that age regardless of ability?
If they end up with 2 first rounders for Kelly which looks likely then it will be Kelly for Higgins + 1st rounder.

In the premiership window, surely that would look attractive to them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they end up with 2 first rounders for Kelly which looks likely then it will be Kelly for Higgins + 1st rounder.

In the premiership window, surely that would look attractive to them

That will look really good after going out in straight sets.

Adelaide gave us pick 2 for Carey and he was 32 and hobbling around in exile.

Today? This morning? He was staying as of last night in the event he ever was leaving???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back